Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ionic Hair Dryers-Gimmick ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ionic Hair Dryers-Gimmick ?
    Posted: July 17 2003 at 4:37pm
Does anyone have any feedback as to whether the ionic hair dryers live up to their claim of drying hair faster, and healthier?

I currently straighten my hair with my blow dryer and a round brush. I'm all for being kinder to my hair, but I'm skeptical as to whether 1) the ionic dryer is faster and healthier, and (2), if it is, will I be able to achieve the same results

Any info on specific brands, good or bad, is much appreciated.

Thanks!
claudia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claudia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 7:29am
I have a blow dryer and a styling brush. The blow dryer does not dry any faster, although it is very gentle and takes tangles out of my hair. It makes my hair less full than a reg. dryer. which makes my fine hair full and tangly. I use my reg. one then use the ionic one to smooth and detangle. The curling brush doesn't do anything special. I also have the sharper image hair brush. I like it a lot. I think it makes my hair smell fresh.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 12:51pm
About six months ago I tried a Revlon ionic dryer and prompty returned it after one use. It was not only VERY heavy, it took almost twice as long for me to dry/straighten my hair. This was no doubt due to the fact that it generated very little heat--great for hair but not so great for a tight schedule.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 7:30am
I've been using a BioIonic hairdryer for the past couple of years. I LOVE IT!! I just recently bought a second one b/c my first dryer had the heating element going out. I can't tell you how much this dryer has helped. I have to dry my hair daily, and before with regular dryers I'd get split ends like crazy. Now, I just get an occasional split (normal stuff). This dryer is a bit pricey. With shipping this last one I bought was $100 (it's the travel size). Very expensive, but definately worth it for me. When this one dies I'll definately get another!

Hope this helps.
Becky
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 8:58am
I have an Igia Ionic Hairdryer that I asked for for Christmas 2 years ago. I expected it to not be as hot as a regular blowdryer. But it really is the same heat, so your hair still gets scorched. Bad thing. If the heat is so hot, ions really don't matter. It's like really wounding your hair and then putting a small band-aid on it to fix it. You're taking one step forward at the same time you are taking 2 steps back, as far as overall hair health is concerned. So I never use it anymore. I should probably eBay it, huh?

Anyway, I wanted to try it because I once had an Ionic Hairbrush from The Sharper Image that I liked really well. I actually used it so much it wore out! (Carrying it around in my backpack all the time certainly didn't help matters.)
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 9:32pm
I have owned an ionic hair dryer for probably the last year. I have long, naturally curly hair that I always blow dry and then straighten with a flat iron. Switching to an ionic blow dryer has done wonders with split ends! I usually let my hair air dry until I am ready to blow dry, so it doesn't take any longer than my normal previous dryer. It has 3 heat settings and 3 blowing settings...so the heat is never an issue. Infact, I have always left it on "Medium" heat, and have never put it on "hot" heat setting. I will definitely buy another when something happens to this one!
SSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2003 at 5:13pm
Dana073 with the cute icon, can you tell me what brand of ionic dryer you own? I don't have curly hair..more wavy and coarse that I tend to blow dry straight and then hit with a flat iron, so a similar routine to what you use....

Thanks!
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2003 at 7:12pm
Ssassy, I don't own a real expensive ion hair dryer...it is Vidal Sassoon. I bought it at Ulta, if you have those stores where you live. My hair is naturally curly, but not kinky tight curls...more like a loose perm. However 99% of the time I blow dry it straight, then use a flat iron. The thing I love best about this particular dryer is that it has heat settings.

If you have similar hair as me, and it is coarse something else you may want to try is Pomade. My sister turned me on to it last week. I wash my hair, put Pomade in it (not alot, as it can make your hair look oily after blow drying), I then blow dry it straight and then use the flat iron. Talk about adding moisture to your hair!!! I looked at alot of different Pomades, but went with the all natural that the only ingredients are Petrolatum, Fragrance and Lanolin Oil. My hair is totally different now...it is not so dry, looks healthier, feels great. I totally swear by the stuff now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic