Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are the different short styles?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lilli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the different short styles?
    Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:52am
OK. I know about Louise Brooks and the Bob style she made famous which is now worn by Kelly Osbourne and the Pixie made famous by Mia Farrow and Twiggy and now worn by Halle Berry (also known as the chop/crop) and there is the short Shag made famous by Jane Fonda in Klute. But what other short cuts are there and who made them famous and who wears them now?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 9:20am
There is something called the mop top which is sort of what Selma Blair has right now I think. There is also a look with long top but short sides and back that I really like but I don't know what it is called.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 1:25pm
Hmmm...Wedge, Dorothy Hammil.....Of course there are many ways to modify a wedge or any cut for that matter..

uhhhhmm..... Loft.... symetrical, asymmetrical, versatile, Sasoon influences, modified bobb...Baby bangs, fringe, shingled, stacked.....

Mezzanine.... Streetwise, geometric, sleek uptown glam.

Garage....rough, utilitarian, dirty tones, ragged, messy masculinity.

Syncronized cuts...where cutz and color work together...Vintage, retro, classic, punk, couture.....Ohhhh The Posibilities....

Sorry, I know it's not what you asked for Lili....But, you know...
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 5:41pm
Hi all,

Great topics on this board. HairGuy00 is off to a fabulous start...don't you all think?

So anyway, there was a special short cut created for the Avengers that was a type of bowl cut. Does anyone know the name of that cut?

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:01pm
Yes the Short Hair board is off to a great start! Thanks Hairguy!

I don't know the name of the bowlcut on the Avengers. Does anyone else know?
Lady Maria
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 7:19pm
Sophie:
Since you are a hairstylist:
What short hairdos for women do you like to do best; what short styles are the most common with those women who you service at your salon; and what is the shortest style you have done on a woman???
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2003 at 11:12pm
I'd be interested in knowing what short haircuts you do on women too Sophie!
Lady Maria
GuyInEdinburgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyInEdinburgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:35pm
Just curious ... what is shingled? I've heard of layered, tapered, feathered, cropped, blended, faded but never tried shingled.

I've checked my dictionary, but somehow don't think a natural type of roofing material is what I would walk out of the door with...
IndyGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:46am
The style was referred to as "The Purdy" and was
worn by Joanna Lumley. The name came from the character she played in "The Avengers".

Here's a photograph of the style:

http://www.jamesbondposterpage.com/lumley.htm

Hope this helps.
~QueenzBalla~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~QueenzBalla~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 9:06pm
i aint really like that cut of the pic u posted but thats just my opinion.
---------->I love<3 this game!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 3:13am
Like this person is even still reading after all this time. . . *laughs* Anyway. . .
Shingled hair is cropped close to the head in layers. It was popular in the 1920s, but I'm not sure how popular it is in more modern times.

Originally posted by GuyInEdinburgh GuyInEdinburgh wrote:

Just curious ... what is shingled? I've heard of layered, tapered, feathered, cropped, blended, faded but never tried shingled.

I've checked my dictionary, but somehow don't think a natural type of roofing material is what I would walk out of the door with...
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic