Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question for beautician/hairstylists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for beautician/hairstylists
    Posted: May 06 2003 at 7:57pm
I know there are a number of hairstylists who write on this website.
In regards to short hairstyles, all of you beautician/hairstylists out there, what short or very short style on women do you like to cut the most?

Is there a style that is more fun to do?..... or a style that you think looks really great on a lady?
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 8:09pm
I'm not a stylist, so I won't answer the questions. I hope the answers are that each woman is an individual and what's right for one isn't right for the next.

What this stirred up for me is that many women with longer hair claim ALL stylists are scissor happy and want to take every woman short. Some think they do this because short-haired women will come more often. They don't take into account that stylists charge more to cut and color long hair. I've never heard a short-haired woman mention that stylists are scissor happy.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 9:50am
Good points Rod!!!
Any hairstylists out there have an opinion on this?
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 10:18pm
*I have a friend who is a stylist and she has said to me that short hairstyles are the most challenging to do because any mistake is easier to notice and less easy to correct because of the short length of the hair.

Nevertheless she likes doing short styles the best.
tony9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 2:18pm
I would venture to say that more short hair fetishists are stylists, than people who like long hair and they are the scissor happy stylists that people complain about...
Change is good for the soul and fun to talk about!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 2:24pm
I'd guess few stylists are fetishists. It would be unprofessional to let personal turn-ons get in the way of your job.

I think stylist preference for short hair has more to do with style. Long hair is long hair. It can look beautiful, but it's pretty much limited to one style.

Short hair has so many variations and takes skill to make it look like the picture in the magazine. Short hair is about artistry, and a stylist feels being an artist is what their job is about.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 4:31am
Several people answered this thread. None of them beauticians.
I am also curious as to what short styles beauticians like to do.
tina
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 6:42pm
A view from the inside of the hair world.....................

I personally have long hair and I love doing long hair. From my experience working with a million other hairstylist, the reason they like to cut hair off and cut short hair is because it is ALOT less work. It is less blow drying time etc. I beleive it is matter of laziness and as we all know there are plenty of lazy people in this world.
Another reason could be that long hair clients are very uptight and nervous. They want to watch every cut you make to make sure you are not cutting more than they asked for. Alot of "pompass" hairstylist just "don't have time for this".
I personally like doing long hair and after every snip I lay the piece of hair down on the cape in front of them so they can see what I am cutting. I totally understand and I appreciate the person cutting mine to do the same

The best advice I can give to any person wanting a slight trim on thier long hair is to find a stylist who them themselves has long hair. They are more understanding of the seriousness of your hair to you.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

The best advice I can give to any person wanting a slight trim on thier long hair is to find a stylist who them themselves has long hair. They are more understanding of the seriousness of your hair to you.

That is excellent advice Lili .

I wish I had heard that a couple of years back.
Uzi

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 7:38pm
This is a short hair board, and the original question was "In regards to short hairstyles... what short or very short style on women do you like to cut the most?... Is there a style that is more fun to do?..... or a style that you think looks really great on a lady?"

Lilibeach, you sound like a great stylist for long-haired women who want to keep their hair long. With so many long-haired women claiming stylists are cut happy, there is a need for stylists like you.

But hair is individual. Some women look better with long hair, some with short hair. Many look good with either. I think women should change their hairstyle and length periodically for a lot of reasons. A new style, shorter or longer, can be invigorating. It keeps a woman fresh and current.

As a guy, I change my style periodically. Unfortunately, we have less options. I also throw out old clothes and update furnitue. Change is exciting. Keeps me out of a rut.

Some women have no desire to change. Nothing wrong with that. I think a stylist should suggest a change periodically. If a client is resistant, then step back. The expertise of a hairdresser should be shared with the client with options. You know more than we do. Then we can decide.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 8:43pm
Good points Rod.
And no hairstylist has yet answered the question.
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 8:44pm
There must be some beauticians on the board, in fact I KNOW there is some.
C'mon ladies-(or gentleman)-.
tina
Shorthiar1115 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorthiar1115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 2:47am
The reason why stylist like to cut hair short so much is because when most stylist cut it short it usually brings in more money because if a lady likes there hair short, so they would come back for trims more often than someone with long hair which gives them more money and the shorter they go usually the person will come back earlyer then they wouldove in the past so what its really about is making the money. but in my case i usualy just do what the client tells me to do so they stay happy with the way I do there hair because the last thing i would want is for someone to get mad and leave me as a client because then u just lose all your profit
Julie in San Fran View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie in San Fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:59am
Beauticians love to cut hair. When I had long hair and wanted long hair I didn't dare go to a salon , I knew they would talk me into chopping off too much of my hair.
Now that I am a short haired lady and happy with it that's not a problem.
Beauticians love their scissors I know that!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 8:48am
>>>>Change is exciting. Keeps me out of a rut.

I can't argue with that! However, several people think that cutting hair is the only way to change it. I think that's a very easy way to change, but there are so many other ways for a new look besides just cutting!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 8:51am
LiliBeach, you said, "The best advice I can give to any person wanting a slight trim on thier long hair is to find a stylist who them themselves has long hair."

Ha ha ha!! Oh, I know they exist (I wish I lived near you), but in all honesty, I don't think I've ever seen a stylist in a salon who wore long hair. The longest I've seen is shoulder length.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 2:02pm
Hi...4 stylists in our salon 2 with long hair, although not super long....retexturized and highlighted...both of us.

I like cutting hair short, but it is a BIG pet peve for me...cutting hair shorter that the client wants. I don't like cutting client hair too short, I would prefer they call me to cut more off later if need be, And they know it.

I consult regularly with my clients. We use pictures so that I understand what style they are looking for. We talk about adjustments, to suit them personally...hair type, texture, face shape, styling requirements....product recommendations etc. Then
I pride myself on giving them the style we discussed.

The short cut I love cutting... is an inverted short bobb...long in the front, short and stacked in the back. I like the skill and precision it takes. I love how someones bone structure makes the cut.

And I love cutting neck lines. I love making the neckline of a hair cut... beautiful.

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 2:30pm
I've gone to several stylists with long hair. There was Julie who, like Sophie, had long hair, but loved cutting everyone else short.

Then there was Edna. She was petite and would always talk about cutting her hair short. I discussed this with her and she told me that as a stylist, you really should change your hair periodically. If a stylist has the same cut forever, she's going to sound like a hypocrite telling a client that she needs a change. Stylists are expected to edgy and modern if they're cutting young women's hair. Unless it's a salon that only cuts long hair. Then, the clients want the stylist to have long hair and keep it. Although changes in the long style can inspire a client. No one with long hair wants to be told they can only have one style.

Edna eventually did cut her hair. Unfortunately, it was really wavy and required a lot of work short. She grew it back long.

Long-haired clients come in every 3-6 months. Short-haired clients come in every 6-8 weeks. The stylist needs to keep them in mind.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 6:43pm
My stylist has medium length hair but it is fairly common for women stylists to have shorter hair styles.
I won't go to a salon where the women wear "punky" or " too youngish" looking short hair styles. I'm 27, I want a "classy" short style not a "punky" short style.
tina
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

I've gone to several stylists with long hair. There was Julie who, like Sophie, had long hair, but loved cutting everyone else short.

Rod, I think you misunderstood my post. I very specifically said, I DO NOT like cutting client's shorter than they want it to be.

I do not love cutting everyone else short....and I don't think I would be still cutting hair after 20 years if I did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic