Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you cut it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:41pm
Temporary insanity -- that's my only defense! Fortunately, that was a few years ago, and I am much, much happier with long hair. Interestingly enough, most people said that once a woman goes short, she'll never grow it out again. That was definitely not the case with me. I couldn't wait until I was able to sniff my freshly washed hair (which is impossible to do when you have cut off your hair!).

My experience with short hair was a disaster. I just missed the sensual feel of silky hair down my neck and body. That's why I would ALWAYS recommend someone with long hair who thinks she may like it short to take it a little bit at a time. If you cut off 2 or 3 inches, it won't take years to grow back. Once it's cut, it's gone for quite awhile. Growing out hair is just horrible.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:08pm
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with short hair Jennifer. but this board is for people who DO like short hairstyles, that's the purpose of it, that's why they have a long hair board on this website for those who like long hair and a short hair board for those of us who like wearing our hair short.
tina
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:09pm
wow, that sounds like its an interesting story, if you dont mind i would like to hear the reast of it :)
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:17pm
Tina, I was just answering the question!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:18pm
Long-haired women who go dramatically short all at once often either love it or hate it. Since you hated it, you can at least feel comforted that you found out short hair just isn't you. Many of your fellow long-haired women never will know for sure.

You would have been better off going short gradually, but that wasn't the style you wanted. Chances are, you wouldn't have liked that style.

I have a friend with gorgeous long hair. She's always wanted really short hair, above the ears, but has been afraid to cut it. I suggested something in between, but she insists that's the last thing she wants. If she ever decides to do it, she'll get the cut she wants, and see if that cut makes her happy.

For whatever reason, sometimes long haired women decide to go shorter. The style she chooses is personal, but the one she wants. That way she loves or regrets her own choice.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:23pm
Hairguy, as Tina so observantly point out, this is the short hair forum; my story would fall better into the "Scary Tales at Bedtime" forum!

Actually, the experience taught me many things. I am taking MUCH better care of my hair now than I was before. Previously, I was washing it every day, blow-drying it, and using a scorching curling iron on it. And of course, it looked awful on the ends. But instead of just cutting off a few inches, which would have looked dramatically better, I cut off a lot. Why? God only knows.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:34pm
I'd like to think this board is for discussing short hair, not just for those who have had good experiences with short hair. Jennifer was just relating her experience as the first post asked. As long as Jennifer doesn't deride other people for having short hair, which she didn't, I'd hope she's welcome.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 8:59pm
No biggie.

I just thought Jennifer was being a wee bit over dramatic, as if having a short hairstyle was some sort of disaster.
Considering that at least half the women in the America either have short hair now or have had it short before and many look absolutely STUNNING in short hair and many of us ENJOY WEARING OUR HAIR SHORT, I just thought she was being a little overdramatic.
She describes getting her haircut as a terrible DISASTER. I have known people that have had a leg amputated that seemed less disturbed than Jennifer was about getting her hair cut.
I know people like their hairstyles BUT PLEASE, some perspective on all of this. It's hair for God's sake, keep it in proportion!
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 10:24pm
Tina, as odd as this sounds, it really was a bit of a disaster. I live in a relatively small area, and apparently people have nothing better to discuss than the appearance of others. When I had my hair cut, I hated it. I really, really hated it.

BUT. That wasn't the disaster. People who were mere acquaintances made a huge deal out of it and fell over themselves complimenting me on it. Even when I made it quite clear that I did not wish to discuss it, they insisted. I think people somehow felt it was their "duty" to talk me into liking my hair. If people would have only made passing comments (or better yet, no comments at all!), I think it would not have been that big of a deal. When someone tells you that she loves what you hate, it's also saying that you have no taste if you don't like it. It's actually an insult.

That's why I am VERY leery of people making comments on the appearance of others. We should pay a lot more attention to what's on the inside instead of what's on the outside. I'm an American and live in the US, but I travel internationally a good deal of the time. Although I love my country, I feel so much more comfortable in European cities. People are not nearly obsessed with giving unsolicited opinions like they are in the US. The freedom from being scrutinized was absolutely wonderful!

You're probably thinking that I'm overly sensitive, and perhaps a little bit, but really not that much. Without sounding like an arrogant "w"itch, I am tall, blonde, and have a well-toned body. I am pleased with the way I look, but I'd much rather be complimented with things I've done, not what nature gave me.

A friend of mine recently lost 40 pounds, and she does look terrific! However, she said when people really knock themselves over giving her compliments on how incredibly wonderful she looks, it's also as if they're saying, "Yeah, you were a real PIG before," although inside she's the same person.

Does any of this make sense?

The United States has the largest percentage of both anorexic and obese people. We also seem to be the country that makes it socially acceptable to constantly comment (especially unsolicited) on how others look. I can't help but wonder if there's a connection.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 11:05pm
All people need to do Jennifer to avoid anorexia or obesity is;
1. Eat a healthy well balanced diet with some fruits and vegetables and don't overeat.
2. Exercise a little once in a while. and.......
3. Respect yourself. Believe you are worthwhile.
That's it..... that's all that most people need to do to be healthy and avoid being too fat or skinny. It's really pretty easy to do.

Personally I like a compliment from a guy or a woman on how I look, unless they are being obnoxious about it, -( like hitting on you when you are obviously not interested in being hit on)-.

People need to loosen up a little and just use their common sense. Too much neurosis, and people make things far too complicated, -(there is my rural midwestern background talking even though I'm a city girl now).
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 11:37pm
Tina, you said, "Too much neurosis, and people make things far too complicated."

I agree! But as Americans, we do obsess about how we look and obviously how others look, and we can't keep out mouths shut about constantly commenting on how others look. Perhaps if that obsessiveness about looks weren't present, other obsessions wouldn't be present, either.

I still find it much more comfortable being in Europe.

Oh, Europeans aren't bombarded with 1,548 oz. soft drinks and 10,873 calorie meals like Americans are.....! I really do love the US, but we just have to do everything "bigger" don't we? I won't comment on big Texas hair. {grin}
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 11:37pm
I must say also Jennifer that the whole big media scare about anorexia is entirely overblown.
Less than 1% of American girls and women have serious health or life threating anorexia. Because this is relatively new-(since the 1960s)- in the western world, the media, -(who love to sensationalize things for ratings)- have made a HUGE issue out of anorexic women in America but really percentagewise is an incredibly small percentage.
Most of the anorexic girls are from upper class urban families. Where I grew up among the common people in rural Wisconsin we didn't even know what anorexia was! I never met a woman or girl with anorexica where I lived. It's mostly a rich people problem.

As far as obseity goes that's different.
Americans love to do things to excess, whether it be taking drugs, driving fast in our cars, overworking, building the biggest skyscrapers, playing the loudest rowdiest music, you name it. Americans have always like excess.
Eating is no different. It isn't glandular this increase in fat people. It's just that some Americans don't know when to quit eating. It's excess, and quite frankly they do eat like pigs. And they end up looking like cows!-( Sorry for sounding harsh but .....It's true!!!)-.
As far as Europe goes, they are moving in the same direction. I read the British press a little on the net and Britian and even the European continent have seen an increase as well in obseity-( and anorexia)- recently. Not yet at American levels, but give them a few years. It's a developed world problem, it's happening in Japan, South Korea and Australia too, even a bit in China as they get richer-( and fatter)-

Remember 10 or 15 years ago we heard how Europe didn't have much crime, they weren't violent or criminal like Americans. I heard that all the time as a kid, on T.V. and from teachers at school, even my mom used to say it. They weren't as violent and crazy as us. You notice how you don't hear that much anymore do you. You know why? Because London, Paris, Amsterdamm, Berlin, Rome, they all have crime problems now. Much worse than before.

I like the Europeans just fine, but sooner or later they seem to get every problem we've got. It just happens girl. It's just a nasty 'ol world!.
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 12:11am
Oh I forgot one thing that Americans also do to excess, ..... sex! Studies show we have sex more often with our partners than other developed nations, and have more sex partners in a lifetime.
Lucky for me I like sex!!!!
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 3:05am
You're making incorrect inferences on what I stated. I didn't state that anorexia was a huge problem -- only that the US has the largest percentage of anorexic women in the world. There is a huge difference!

And yes, if Europeans keep practicing our lifestyles, they too can become obese and stand around making silly comments on shallow appearances and lose all intellectual abilities to hold intelligent and meaningful conversations...

But back to hair.......

I think we'd all be better off if we didn't spout off our mouths about how others look in front of them. That's what forums like these are for!

I'm sure people who don't get complimented often would love to hear more, but trust me, it's gets tiring and often embarrassing when it happens frequently.

Besides, isn't beauty on the inside? I think we tend to forget that sometimes. By focusing on hair (or clothing or figures or other outwardly appearances), it's easy for us all to forget what's important in life.

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 3:08am
PS -- You said that Americans have more sexual partners in our lives than other nations.

Gosh, we're more s*l*u*t*t*y (how silly that this word was edited out of my original post) than the rest of the world. Aren't we proud? Maybe we can soon catch up to Africa with the highest population of AIDs!

I have seriously been thinking of moving to Europe, and well, I just may delve a little deeper into the possibility.
Brent E.. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 9:11am
Intersting conversation ladies:

There is something else Americans have more of than Europe too, babies.
America is growing in population, Europe is declining in population which will also eventually cause an economic decline: not enough young workers.
Fine Jennifer move to Europe. Since they have a shortage of young people they need all the young people they can get.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 9:26am
Thanks Brent, but I'm not an unskilled worker. I'd be doing the same thing there as here, only amidst a lot less anorexic, obese, and obnoxious people! Oh, I know, Europeans can be obnoxious, too, as can people of every land, but society is different in Europe, and thankfully much, much more tolerant. Again, I'm not anti-American, but it's sad that when someone gets a rather substantial haircut, some Americans have no self-control and literally scream out in crowds "OHMYGAWD, YOU CUT YOUR HAIR!!" It happened more times than I wish to remember.

That kind of uncouth and vulgar behavior is simply not accepted in most northern European countries. In fact, in many countries, it is considered extremely rude to draw attention to someone's appearance. Perhaps one day, Americans will learn to be more polite (and before you think I'm a total snob, I have my fair share of learning to do, as well!). However, the social atmosphere is simply less "thick" in European countries. Americans love to stare at others, whereas Europeans are much more understated and respect privacy a great deal more. These are generalities, of course, but I've traveled enough to say that my experiences were drawn upon and reflect these sentiments.
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 9:32am
Fine Jennifer, like I said feel free to move.
There are millions of poor hard working immigrants waiting in line to get into America who would love to live here. Only people who enjoy America should live here. Why be somewhere where people are so rude to you Jennifer.
To be honest I don't even really know what your talking about, most Americans I know in California and other states I have been in, just mind their own business. Most people don't care how you wear your hair.
Maybe you need to get out of your particular small town Jennifer.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 9:36am
Brent, have you traveled much in your life? I have. And I've lived on the East Coast and in the Midwest.

There is a huge world out there....

Grab a passport and taste life!

PS -- the immigrants wanting to get in the US are not exactly from northern European countries. If I lived in a country where oppression were severe, like most immigrants who seek refuge, I'd want to come to the US, too!

The US is not a bad country at all in which to live. But socially, we aren't as advanced as we think we are.

Again, why are we so obsessed with giving unsolicited comments to others about their appearance? I'd like to think that most people have more worthy topics of conversation. The more attention we draw to outward appearance, the more self-conscious we, as a society become, and that's what produces all the low self-esteem in which Americans seem to excel.
hairguy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairguy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 11:04am
for the second time in this thread....lets keep this hair oriented
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic