Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cap vs. pixie haircuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cap vs. pixie haircuts
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 9:48pm
If I'm not mistaken, the cap haircut is very similar to a pixie haircut.

But, what's the defining difference?
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:46pm
The cap, or crop, is usually longer, 2-4" with long bangs. It was very popular in the early 90's with Josie Bissett, Linda Evangalista and Demi Moore in "Ghost." More recently Ashley Scott and Kirsten Dunst sported crops in "Birds of Prey" and "Crazy/Beautiful."

The pixie is less than 2" and side parted. Winona Ryder was defined by hers. Think Liv Tyler in "Cookie's Fortune," Josie Davis in "Beverly Hills, 90210," and more recently Samaire Armstrong. Natalie Raitano has worn one of the shortest I've seen.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 11:49pm
Interesting Rod, I didn't know that a "cap" hairstyle is basically a long pixie. I had heard the expression just wasn't quite sure what it meant. I always called a long pixie a .... well.... a long pixie! But it is really a cap style!.
What I wear then would be defined as a short pixie, 1/2 of an inch long on top and in front in a little fringe. Close cropped and tappered on sides and in back.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:52am
Interesting...for some reason, the word "cap" or "crop" just sounds like it would be shorter than a pixie.

Is the neckline in back any different (other than following the length that you described)?

Thanks, Rod.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 10:34am
I agree Jennifer, a cap or crop does sound shorter than a pixie although very short pixies I have heard called crops. Maybe it is the way the hair is cut.
tina
IfOnly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IfOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 2:06pm
They way I like the "cap" cut, in the back the hair tapers nicely from the weightline of the longer hair down to very short at the nape. Like most styles this can be more severe (buzzed nape) or softer with the taper ending in longer wisps on the neck.

Think of a cap cut as a very short bob that exposes the ear entirely. It can have layers also though generally they areon the light side. In my opinon fewer haircuts are as sexy as a nicely shaped cap cut or crop as it seems to be called.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic