Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi People!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi People!
    Posted: March 04 2004 at 11:11am
Hi Group! I just wanted to say that I have the opportunity to grow out my hair now. It is in a 1/4 inch buzzcut and I would like to know if anyone can tell me the growing out phase. I know I cannot get to shoulder leghtn overnight, but any kind of help would be apprecitated! Will their be an awkward stage to it and I know that I can count on all of you for your continued support! Thanks alot. Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 5:19pm
Hmmmm........
Just what is it you were trying to say before your edit?
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 6:25pm
Sorry Jasmine- I always post and then I think it sounds stupid so I take it out and then put it back in. Debbie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2004 at 8:19pm
Why do you want shoulder length hair? Short hair is so much more fun IMHO. Are you just bored with your buzz cut?
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 1:45am
The growing-out period from a buzzcut is pretty bad, or at least it was for me. For a little while you'll feel a lot like you have a mullet going on, when the back is looking really long compared to the top :-P . It might be easier if you keep it very short all around the bottom edges for a while, but I can't tell that from personal experience, as I went through it the really awkward way. Bleh, not fun at all :-P .
I think short hair is more fun, for sure. *nods* The longer my hair gets, the worse it looks, just flat and stringy, and it always seems to look really damaged the longer it gets, too. If it's longer, I usually am more concerned with just keeping it out of the way so it doesn't look too crappy or get in the way too much, so I'd just do a lot of ponytails or the occasional braids :-P . But I guess not everyone has hair as bad as mine, so it's not a problem for everyone.
More awesome than a manatee!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 5:45am
Thanks for all your replies! I am trying to get to 1 inch at least. I know that hair grows at 1/8 per week and I am taking it one step at a time! The reason that I say 1 inch becasue anything longer would look stringy on me. The problem is that is has been so long since I had any hair that any legthn is going to make me feel awkward. But this should be somethng to see- for me at least! LOL!
Debbie
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 4:53am
Debbie - I have to ask....What do you mean by "opportunity to grow it out"?
Also, you may want to hang at the long haired support board as well as here.

jacqui
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2004 at 1:13pm
Be strong Debbie.. you can do it! Maybe when you reach your 1 inch goal you can go for 2 inches. Then I bet you could part it on the side, start some little bangs and be on your way to a new you!
Good Luck!
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 5:59pm
Did you grow your hair out Debbie or keep your buzzcut?
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2004 at 6:58pm
Sounds very simple and clear, Debbie got butched! She wants to grow her out. Whether she decides to go long and beautiful to turn the heads of guys at every turn or just an above shoulder bob that she has some styling options with, she wants to grow back some hair. Debbie, I'll be up front.. I admire long hair and I think long haired women look stunning. I also understand some women like a shorter style. I have trimmed the hair of very long haired friends by sitting on the floor to keep it even mid thigh and I have trimmed bangs, top layers and fixed bad haircuts for shorter haired female friends. I dated a hairstylist nearly 20 years ago in Denver that was a nut when she saw long hair. She said, "Long haired people are paranoid, they just won't let you cut off their hair"! When I asked what was so bad about long hair she went ballistic. She told me she was an expert and they should just listen to her and do what she advises them. At first she was fun while we were skiing, out dancing, and talking music, but after she wanted to elope on a Friday to Nevada and be back to work on Monday. While not sure if I was even her right guy, I realized she needed to grow up. I'm sure some short hair fanatics will bing at this but it sounds like Debbie wants some styling options, not a group of shrill voices yelling cut it off. While I prefer long hair, a neatly trimmed bob can look good on a woman with the right features.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 3:08am
Of course, the fact so many males have a thing for long hair is one of the many reasons I so strongly prefer short-- the thought of being gawked at by strange men just totally creeps me out :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 1:10pm
We've been through this all before on this Short Hair board several times.

First of all:- many men do like women with short hair. Obviously. Including most of the men that post here on this board.

Also:- this board is a SHORT HAIR BOARD! It's for people in general, and especially women since it's mostly women on these boards, to discuss short hairstyles.
This is not the place to go to make condescending remarks about short hairstyles.
Just as Dave Decker, correctly, doesn't tolerate condescending remarks about long hair on the long hair board, we don't appreciate negativity about short hairstyles on this board.
If you prefer long hair on women then go on the long hair board and express that opinion, don't come here and make negative remarks about short hairdos.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 2:04pm
Bill,

When contemplating posting a message, I think it's wise to consider where you are. I appreciate that you have opinions, and are willing to share them. But it is easy to see how some of your remarks can be seen as incendiary on a short hair message board. Need I point out which specific statements?

All,

For whatever reasons, Debbie has chosen to post her message here (and not any other of the boards here). Is she secretly hoping for people to talk her out of that decision, or is she just sharing an already-made decision with the folks here because she's most familar with them? Who else besides her knows... and does it really matter? Some could argue that shoulder-length hair is short; others would claim it was long. Again, it doesn't matter. Shoulder-length is shoulder length. It isn't a crew-cut, and it isn't knee-length. It's just... shoulder-length.

Debbie,

I hope the process is as "pain-free" as possible. But it isn't easy. I know. I've been there (though, admittedly, I didn't start with a crew-cut). A friend of mine is regrowing her long hair; it is presently about 1". Maybe 1 1/2" by now. Anyway, I'd suggest letting it grow until you just can't stand its shape, and then go to a sympathetic stylist who will agree to helping you to grow your hair to shoulder-length ASAP by trimming the smallest amount possible from the longest layers at each visit. As it gets longer, use hair gels to slick your hair back to keep it out of your eyes, and consider using clips or barrettes for the same purpose. I hope this helps.
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 2:39pm
Hi ALL! Right now I am having MAJOR computer problems! But, yes my hair is growing (or at least I am trying!). And if I fail I will pick myself up and start all over again. After all, it is hair and it does grow! And NO I am not as emotional as I once was over it.
Bald Jasmine, thanks for asking!
Yes, I did post this on the short hair board, Dave. I didnot want to jump the gun and type it on the long hair board, in case I failed!
Bill, I have been through so much that you have no clue! And by the way- I have a man that is my husband so I donot want to turn any guys head! LOL!
Debbie
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 4:09pm
Sorry I sent you pinging Debbie. I was agreeing with you. You wanted something longer for a style change. I was being honest about my opinions, rather than try to pass myself off as a phony. I have no idea what you have been through, but your message: Hi Group! I just wanted to say that I have the opportunity to grow out my hair now. It is in a 1/4 inch buzzcut and I would like to know if anyone can tell me the growing out phase. I know I cannot get to shoulder leghtn overnight, but any kind of help would be apprecitated! , sounds like you are trying to grow out that crewcut. Call me foolish, but I take people at their word unless they cause me reason to believe otherwise. And I was correct, there are people who will squeal whenever they hear anything that differs with their view and then scream for their 1st amendment rights to be protected while they stomp on someone else. Hope you and your guy work through your awkward growing out stage. If it seems hard, try some color to get a different look.
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 4:59pm
Bill, no problems! I am trying to grow out my hair and yes, it was 1/4 inches long! It has been a long road- and even longer now that I am "trying" to grow it out! There are alot of "trolls" on here and they usually go unregistered. But I have learned to ignore their post- they need pity! And secondly, I have learned that life is what you make it- it is not all about hair! (That is how I feel!). I didnot mean to "attack" you in any way and if I did I am sorry! To answer Jasmine's question- Yes, my hair is growing out- not as fast as I would like. It is harder than what what I expected it to be! Peace! Debbie
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 6:59pm
Bill:

Your points are well taken, but just so you know in the future, this is a short hair board. It was designed for people who enjoy short hairstyles, not as a place for people to be brutally honest if they don't like short hair or condescending towards those with short hairstyles, like saying things like Debbie got"butchered" with her short hair,etc.

Many people enjoy discussing a variety of short hairstyles here from buzzcuts to pixies to short bob hairdos,etc.
Please extent those folks the courtesy of discussing short hairdos without crude or negative comments regarding these hairstyles.

People do have freedom of speech but this is a privately run board. If the people like Karen who run this website feel that someone is going on a board to stir up trouble, they will ban that person's computer from posting here, they have done that in the past.

If you would like to participate in a civil manner on these boards, why not register?
It has usually been the unregistered people that we have had problems with on the boards.

Thanks for reading this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic