Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair cut for the inept

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
XLI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair cut for the inept
    Posted: May 01 2004 at 9:54am
I am competely unable to style my own hair, in addition to having a phobia of the blowdryer.

At the moment, my hair is supposed to look like this. That's right after I last had it cut, and I've never been able to make it look that nice. It turns out like this big blob of, well, hair. The point is, I cannot style and do not want to style my hair. I just wear it in a ponytail everyday. I want a hair cut which is wash-and-go, and can survive being slept in, because I shower at night.

I'd really like some sort of uber-short cut, but I'm not sure how my hair would take it. I'm wondering if, without the weight to keep it down, it would all just fly up and form (dun dun dun) the white girl's fro. Something along the lines of this would be great. My hair is not particularly thin or thick, but it's prone to frizz.

So, to make this a bit clearer: if I cut my hair short, will it a) totally frizz up, b) be hard to style, c) just look generally awful, or d) look nicer than the ponytail which I wear every day?

Thank you. :)
XLI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 10:05am
Er, sorry about that. Apparently my first link was censored. How embarassing! Anyway, the picture is right here at http://www20.brinkster.com/fflyer/images/xli.gif . I'm not sure if that will work, though, because Brinkster doesn't allow for direct linking or... something.
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 12:56am
What's wrong with frizzy short hair?
If you cut it short enough it shouldn't matter anyway.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 1:36am
If your hair is naturally super-curly, I'm afraid being cut very short would probably make the curls tighten up. If you got it cut to like an inch or less, it would be short enough to not look too out of control and it would be very easy to deal with, though I dunno if you're willing to take it that far or not.
More awesome than a manatee!
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 5:30pm
Why should she not take it that far Kuroneko?
She would look great I'm sure with an ultra-short crop style.
miss brenda View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 7:46pm
Is that you in the photo, XLI?
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 4:07am
Well, some women just kinda freak out/panic if you suggest a cut as short as that. *sweatdrops* I was trying to approach it carefully just in case.
Oh, forgot to say so before, the Labyrinth Worm shirt is really, really cool :-) ! *loves that movie*
More awesome than a manatee!
XLI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 5:12am
Originally posted by miss brenda miss brenda wrote:

Is that you in the photo, XLI?

Yes, that's me. :)

I would like to cut it really super-short, and that movie is great.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 8:45am
Hi there.

I'm an African-american who wears a super short afro cut close to the scalp and I love it.

The others are right, if the haircut is short enough, curl, kinks, frizz, is not a problem.

I'd suggest to any woman who thinks she can pull it off to try a short- as -you -can- get away with hairstyle.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 3:49pm
Since your hair has some curls/waves in it, you could go with a short pixie like Halle Berry has (had). Then you could just use the right hair product and finger fluff/dry. I think you could pull it off.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2004 at 3:53pm
Could be good with the right products. I say go for it. It will grow back if you don't like it.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
bronnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 8:09pm
I think if you don't enjoy styling your hair then your best choices are to cut it uber short as you say or to let it grow long. I think the inbetween styles take the most effort to keep looking good.

With a very short haircut it is important to find a good person to cut it and to be willing to get it cut frequently to maintain the style. You need a good stylist who can give you a cut that works well for your face and your hair. Your hair looks curlier to me than the person in your picture so it would probably take a LOT of effort to get it to look just like that but you could probably find a similar short style that would look great on you.

It can be scary to get your hair cut short but it sounds to me like you should try it. If you find the right cut it seems like it would fit fit your minimalist styling desires.

I wouldn't worry about the frizz because that is much more of an issue with longer hair but be sure you OK with having short curly hair because your hair might curl a lot more than it does now.

Good luck
Bronnie
XLI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 4:05pm
My hair is naturally a little wavy, but no where near as curly as in that picture. Those curls were from enough styling product to poison a small animal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic