Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easy to be a bald girl ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Myriam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy to be a bald girl ?
    Posted: August 14 2004 at 3:55am
Hello,

I would like to know if it's easy in your countries for a girl to have a buzz cut or to be bald ?

In france it's not easy every days.
Many people don't like that a girl shave her head.

My family or my friends don't understant why I like to do that.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 12:32pm
Hi Myriam.

'Merci' for your posts!
You speak English quite well, I can easily understand your writing. I wish I could read and write French but I can't.

I'm an African-American woman in my 30s, divorced with two small children. The man I am currently dating also writes on these boards, his name is Brent. He writes as "Brent E from San Francisco", (he is originally from San Francisco, he lives near me in the Chicago area now).

In the African-American community there have been many women for many years who shave their heads bald, as do many women in Africa.
It is more common for Black women in America to wear short buzzcuts or shave their head then it is for White women, although some White women do it also.

I usually wear a short afro, not much longer than a buzzcut, but occasionaly in the warm summer months I shave my head bald. I hadn't done that for a few years but I decided to try the bald look again this summer.
I shaved my head bald in June, encouraged to do so by my man Brent, who likes a bald head on a woman.
When I shave my head, I lather it and shave it smooth with a razor. I have been using the triple blade Venus razor or the Mach3 razor this summer. I plan on keeping my head shaved through September or October and then growing a short afro again.

I do go out in public bald and no one says anything to me. In a big city like Chicago people are accustomed to all sorts of hairstyles. I always dress neatly and in feminine clothing, usually wearing a dress or a skirt. I wear eye makeup and earrings also, so I look feminine.

At work I usually wear a wig or a headwrap.

So, ....in answer to your question, it is not common but not too unusual to see women with buzzcuts or shaved heads in large American metro areas, especially Black women, but on occasion other races too. And the bald look on women, at least in sophisticated metro areas, is accepted by most people. I haven't had any problems with it.

Best wishes to you from Chicago, U.S.A..
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 4:28pm
Hello Myriam, great to have you here on Hair Talk.

There is no stigma to a woman being bald in most major American cities. In small towns I am sure it is different.
When I was in west Europe a few years back I saw several bald women in London, Paris, Berlin, and Amsterdamm. I know there are women shaving their heads in Europe.
As far as your city goes, maybe it is not a large city so bald women are not as common.
Keep your bald style if you wish. I think it's great that you are a liberated woman that likes to shave her head. It is one of the most attractive hairstyles on a beautiful lady, and like my lady Jasmine you look delightful bald!!!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 3:52am
I've never been bald, but I used to have a buzz. I got more negative reactions from the people I live with than people just in the outside world. I don't recall being asked about it or had many comments or anything. *shrugs* I think it's pretty safe.
More awesome than a manatee!
Myriam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I've never been bald, but I used to have a buzz. I got more negative reactions from the people I live with than people just in the outside world. I don't recall being asked about it or had many comments or anything. *shrugs* I think it's pretty safe.

Thanks for your answers

I was bald just 3 times.
Usually I have buzz cut or very short hair.

But I have the same bad reactions when I was bald or a buzz cut.

I think in France it's more easy too for black woman to be bald even if there's no many women to do it...
silverorange View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 9:04am
myriam in scotland there are woman who take clippers and shave there head , i would say its easy to buzz cut other than to be bald in my opinion , I find it hard to tell people that i want to be a hairdresser i have summin wrong with my left arm , i know that to be a hairdresser you need both arms .
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 6:46pm
I just want to tell you I admire you Myriam for having the guts to shave your head. You look adorable!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 3:03pm
As everyone knows, Myriam, I LOVE long hair on women, but I think it's unconscionable for anyone to ridicule you over hairstyle choice. I can't save the world, and I know that sarcasm is a fact of life for any woman who chooses to be hairless, but most people respect you, I think (I hope!). Bob
Myriam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 4:30am
Thanks to you

For the moment, I let grow my hair for to be blond in one or two month

and even if it's not easy every day, I will shave again
llama_man666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llama_man666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 5:17pm
It must take alot of courage to do that. and anyways, i think blab babes look really good.
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2004 at 10:11am
you should take a pic of yourself before and after you shave your head for us to see and enjoy
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
DakotaDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 11:11am
Myriam, did you shave your head bald because you wanted to, or because your boyfriend or husband wanted you bald?

The reason I ask is that one of my girfriends shaved her head because her husband wanted her to. He liked bald women.
Myriam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 1:37pm
It's not easy for me to explain in english but I'm gonna try

My husband have always like women with very short hair and with buzz cut.

In 1994 I've begin to shave him.

And in 1997 I have would like to try it and for the first time I've just be shaved at 6 mm.
After this time my husband have shaved me some times. 5 or 6 times by year.

December 31th 1999 I would to be blonde but when I have left the hair salon my hair was between yellow and orange.
That won't be very beautiful

And I've said to my husband : "OK I don't like my new hair color. If you want you can shave me, completely !

And I've loved that

But it wasn't easy with my family and my friends.
I've just continue to do buzz cut.

I'll be bald 2 other times in february 2003 and in august 2004.

I hope that you can understand what I wanna say
DakotaDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 8:28pm
I understand Myriam.
That's cool that your husband likes you in very short hair or bald.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 7:33pm
I'm glad your man loves your bald look Myriam.

It's the same with me.
buzzednapelover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzednapelover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 4:25am
Good for you, Myriam! I've seen pictures before of yours and they were stunning (though I lost the link to them).
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2004 at 11:11pm
Yes Myriam is indeed stunning, and a woman who seems confident of her beauty wearing her bald look. Her man is a lucky fellow!
Adrian View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 12:31pm
I am a fiftyone year old mamma of three in bush Alaska. I've cut my own hair forever and often worn it very long for years and years. Oddly, I've been terrified of letting my own need for a bit of vanity shine through the older I've gotten but of late really felt the urge to explore a little dash and dare. This week, during a sadly lonely time I cut my hair very short. Just having the freedom to make my own look was exhilarating. This morning I've shaved it all off and I feel like I've just sprouted wings. Talk about a tactile rush. Taking a trip to our little village today has me spooked . But heck, coming out should be fresh everyday right? For an artistic romp look up Claude Cahun. Ah, what an era. Then and now. Blaze on with love.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 8:04pm
Good for you Adrian.
Enjoy your bald look!
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 12:29am
I guess if men can have long hair, women can be bald.

WElcome to a free society. Remember people fought for the right to be able to wear any hair style and be free from persecution from it.

The 1960's are a godsend to anyone that likes to go out of the norm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic