Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair matching body size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair matching body size?
    Posted: February 16 2005 at 2:18pm
I love love love short hair. I have wavy with some natural curl and when it's cut short, all the wave and curl leave. Then all I hear is remarks from people about how beautiful my hair WAS when it was longer. BUT, when my hair is long, it doesn't match my body size because I am small and my hair gets really big when grown out. Do you think it looks silly for small people to have big hair, even though the hair is pretty?

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 5:42pm
There are some generalizations about body size and hair length/style but certain people can "break" those rules.
My general rule is if I only notice a person's hair then it is too long/big...if I don't notice someone's hair than it needs a change.
General rules:
Small petite should not have big/long hair
Large size should not go with ultra short hair
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2005 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by eatgreenjello eatgreenjello wrote:

I love love love short hair. I have wavy with some natural curl and when it's cut short, all the wave and curl leave. Then all I hear is remarks from people about how beautiful my hair WAS when it was longer. BUT, when my hair is long, it doesn't match my body size because I am small and my hair gets really big when grown out. Do you think it looks silly for small people to have big hair, even though the hair is pretty?

No, everybody looks great with long hair in good condition.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 12:48am
I agree that "big" women, more often than not, don't look as good with very short hair.
Petite women can look good with long straight hair or very short hair, but not big "puffy" hair, (but I hate big puffy hair anyway on any woman. I like long hair to be either sleek and straight, or curly and wavy).
My wife is petite and wears very short hair and looks great in it.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 3:53am
If you like short hair, go on and wear it, no matter what anyone thinks. The most important thing is how you feel about yourself.
If the curl goes out when it's short, you could wear it long enough to scrunch or put in curlers to perk it up, but still not have it so long it overwhelms you.
More awesome than a manatee!
ihu4eva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihu4eva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:39am
personally, i short hair suits small sized people more. short hair sorta like makes a small sized person or a short person look taller. long hair tends to look like make the person look shorter/smaller.

anw, if the hair is pretty, it's ok. but the impt thing is your own opinion. yup.
it won't be like this forever
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 12:08am
After reading some of these posts I'm wondering what you do if you're a
very tall person and don't want to look smaller. I'm a six-foot tall woman
with strong classic facial features. I've been wearing my hair short most
of my adult life. I currently have a very short messy crop cut and am told
that I look striking. Granted, being 6'3" in heels with a boyish haircut and
a strong personality probably limits my attractiveness to some men, but
the love of my life these last 15 years adores how I look. We're quite a
pair. He's 6'6" and has long curly hair down to his shoulders.
Occasionally when we're out, someone accidentally refers to him as
"ma'am" or me as "sir" in spite of the fact that he is a masculine looking
man and I am quite feminine. We just laugh. I guess, each to his or her
own taste, huh? = )
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 3:48am

Some people are unobservant :-P .  I've known girls who were mistaken for guys despite little things like a pink fuzzy purse or purple floral overalls, because some stupid people just look at the hair to judge gender :-P .

On a "grass is always greener" note, I'm 5'1" and very sensitive about my height.  I'd gladly trade for your six feet any day :-D !

kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 11:28am
Laughing...yep, when others mistake our gender because of our hair we
realize that some just never moved past the broad generalizatons of
kindergarten: boys have short hair, girls have long hair. Personally, I was
well into my thirties before I came to really understand the word
"androgyny," and have only now, in my forties, really embraced it as a
lifestyle.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 1:45am

Yup, I grew up with parents who never got past that stage of thought :-P .  That's the reason I developed a fascination with short-haired women from a very early age.  I discovered (and learned to admire) androgyny early (gotta love that Annie Lennox :-) !), but have still never really achieved it to my own satisfaction.  Then again, it's harder to pass oneself off when one is 5'1" and voluptuously built. . .  Androgyny definitely rules, though ^_^v !

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 4:23pm

I think long hair is so.... ummmm....boring.  It just hangs there.  Kind of like having long nails, they ARE dead!  Hair is DEAD.  There are few people that I see with longer hair that look good.  I prefer daring women who cut their hair short and dont' care what other people think (like when Halle Berry's hair was short)!!!  I wish she'd cut it again.

My hair grows "out", not down.  Does anyone watch "What Not to Wear" with Nick Arrojo, a famous hairstylist?  On a recent episode, he cut a lady's hair that was just like mine, into a short cut and it rocked.  I'd love to go to him for a cut, but his cuts are $400.00 and it'd be a cold day in hellllll before I pay that for a haircut that grows out in 3 weeks.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
loquacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 5:38pm

Kuroneko ~ sounds like we had similar parents   And experiences.  My absolutely beautiful girlfriend has less than inch of hair and it looks great on her.  I've never looked at a girl with long hair.  Never looked at a guy with long hair for that matter either.  Darn parents! ;-)

kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:19pm
I agree with you guys. And yep, the parental thing sure does
influence you. I think my mom was terrified I'd end up a lesbian (laffin) so
she really pushed the feminine stuff. I was the only girl in junior high
forced to get her ears pierced (this was 1967.) Mom also insisted I shave
my legs and wear makeup. Go figure.

I spent my twenties wearing pink, having long painted nails and tons of
makeup, fearful that at six feet tall I might not be feminine. In my early
thirties I started to get a clue. Annie Lennox was my first adult role
model for style. I had that same platinum ultra short cut and tried to
dress just like she did. Now I've got black cropped hair, dress for
comfort, and wear my attitude proudly! It rocks being almost 50!

The only downside of short hair, I agree, is those frequent haircuts to
keep it looking fresh. I partially solved this problem by installing a three-
way dressing mirror in my brightest-lit bathroom and purchasing good
cutting and thinning shears. Now I cut my own hair every few weeks
(easy with a crop, I just mostly chop off chunks) and get it professionally
shaped every two months or so. I've actually gotten way more
compliments on my hair since I started cutting it myself! I also figured
out how to purchase professional hair color and am now doing 100% of
my own coloring. Once I got the hang of it it has become easy and fun to
do, and now I can do my own roots every two-and-a-half weeks or so.
I've gone from every three-week hair appointments that lasted over two
hours for a color and cut and cost $120. to one appointment every two
months for a half-hour that costs $70. Such a deal!
loquacious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loquacious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:37pm

My dad is just into traditional, long hair on girls and short hair on boys - mom on the other hand thought me wanting short hair meant I was a lesbian (hers is very long).  Well, suspicions confirmed, Mom! LOL.  I've worn it as short as a lip length bob, and it's been as long as well past my bottom.  Now it's about shoulder length - did I just disqualify myself from this particular topic? ;-) lol

Kudos to you Kristie - your attitude is awesome!  I'd never be brave enough to try to color on my own though, same for cuts.  I trust my stylist for that.  He's planning to move soon - my heart will break!

kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 9:19pm
Laffin my butt off here, loquacious! My mom's fears were only half
confirmed. I can tell you that she's relieved that my current love interest
is a man, even if he has hair longer than most women. She had kittens
years ago when my partner was female, though. Hehehe...

I think shoulder length hair still permits you to discuss the topic, and
thanks for your kudos! = )
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 3:35am

It doesn't matter who discusses the topic, so long as they're friendly and try to at least respect the purpose of the board, whether they agree with it or not.  We get the occasional short hair basher, but usually mods will step in to help with that, so it's pretty safe.

Long hair is boring because most women don't do anything with it.  Either it just hangs there limply or stays in a ponytail, which defeats the reasoning of having long hair so one can do more with it :-P .  The ones who try new and creative styles, I can at least respect them for that, even if I don't care for their choice of hair length.  But of course, most short-haired women don't do much with theirs, either, which is a shame.  I can't play with product as much as I'd like, since my hair is so fine and thin, that I have to be careful how I place it :-( , but I do play with accessories like clippies and headbands and stuff, as much as I can get them to stay.  Sometimes I make a little baby-ponytail at one side, though that gets odd looks.  Being creative with hair is fun, though.  Days it looks fine on its own, or I'm too lazy to mess with it, I tend to leave it plain, though.  *shrugs*

I've been doing my own cuts for a few years now, with mixed results.  Times I screw up, though, I just try to fix it as best I can, enough to live with it until it's all right again.  I don't like the salon experience, since it's always a power struggle to get what I want, and besides, I don't need some stylist to tell me my hair is thin or grows in weird directions.  I know that already.  If they don't have a solution for it, I wish they would just keep their mouths shut :-( .

cutmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 11:14am
I think plus-sized women look amazing with short hair.If their hair is too long it can make them look heavier.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 12:39am
Not sure about making the person look heavier, but it can definitely make them seem sloppier, especially if it just hangs there looking stringy.  I think that only helps perpetuate the myth that large women can't look nice or don't take pride in their appearance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic