Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do guys prefer women with short hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do guys prefer women with short hair?
    Posted: February 19 2005 at 5:20am
About a month ago I had my long hair cut really short - buzzcut short at the back and sides, kind of spiky on top. I hated it almost immediately even though my then boyfriend said he prefered it, I thought he was just being nice.
Since then I have been desperately trying to grow it long enough to have extensions put in. I am really confused now because I always thought that guys prefered women with long hair but looking at some of the threads and postings on "Short Hair", a lot of men seem to really go for short haired women. I beginning to think I would be better of saving the money on extensions and just going and having it cropped again. Anyone got any opinions?
xxxzvp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxzvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 7:17am
Speaking for myself, I love short hair on women, the shorter the better. When I started dating my wife, she had hair past her shoulders, and I told her of my preference for short hair, she has steadily gotten it cut shorter and shorter. She is a little reluctant to go as short as I would like to see,like a very short flattop, or maybe a Sinead O'connor buzzcut. Yet her hair is now about a half inch long on the sides and back, and about an inch on top. She's getting there, but it seems it's never short enough for me.
trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 7:45am
I know my wife gets more attention with short hair than she does with long, probably because its different and a little more in the minority.

I'd try going for something in between. A short style thats not so extremely short and seeing how people react. It depends a lot on your face as well. There are a % of girls that are just flat out hot with short hair for reasons that are tough to describe.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 9:47am
I think there are more guys that like short hair (probably in the chin length to a little shorter range) than most people think - especially girls.

My wife had hair to her butt when we meet. It wasn't long before I was cutting it shorter and shorter. It hasn't been much past chin length for
15 of our 20 years together. She also said this summer she is going back shorter - pixie! I can't wait for summer!!!!

You have to decide about the extensions. If you are only getting them because you think guys only like long hair - DON"T
I would let it grow out a little and try some styles in that range to see how you like it. While some guys prefer the very short severe cuts - I think they are in the minority. At least that is my observations.
Bill B. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 10:10am
I agree with what others have said. I think a lot more guys prefer short hair than you'd think. I know I do.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 10:33am
redhairedgirl,

If you ask the question on a short-hair internet board, you'll get responses favoriing short hair. Likewise, if you ask the same question on a long-hair internet board, you'll get responses favoring long hair.

What you do you prefer for yourself, as far as looks, versatility, ease of care and styling, and other factors?

And only you can decide how important the opinions of others are (whether they be significant, friends, family members, or others).

Good luck with your decision.
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:14am
redhairedgirl -- Dave is right on the button with this one. I like short hair on women too, but only if the style is right for that particular woman. Of course, what everyone else wants shouldn't matter. If you hate short hair, then grow it out. After all, it's your hair, and your decision. Best wishes!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:19am
From your description, you didn't just cut your hair short, you cut it very short. Why do that if it wasn't something you really wanted?

Many men do prefer long hair, but it sounds like your guy likes short hair. There are some out there. If your guy likes short hair, don't worry about what other men like. You only need to worry about one. If you don't like it so short, grow it. If you like it, be happy you have one of the guys who likes short hair.
trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 11:32am
I think this post for whatever reason has generated a pretty interesting conversation.

For the most part I agree with most of the posts. I think the number of men who like short hair is probably greater than women realize. Women tend to associate long hair with their femininity and therefore gravitate to it. A lot of men like women with a little more of a funky streak and are attracted to the more modern look of short hair. Personally my attraction to short hair is for a couple of reasons. First I like it because I really love change and short hair tends to be more versatile, and also more subject to style changes with new cuts. Just as a result of the time it takes hair to grow girls with long hair don't change styles as much while girls with short hair play around almost monthly letting the sides grow, doing new things to the back, adding bangs, etc. The second is that I am not in any way a fan of the pulled back casually look. Some women are masterful at it, puling their hair back and leaving bits hanging down that are just sexy as hell. Others rarely pull it back and manage to always have silky, healthy, nice hair worn down. Those onese should leave it long if they like. The majority of women with long hair either have moderate to poor hair condition(split ends, etc) or they always seem to default back to a pulled back look thats just not attractive.

As for doing what you like VS what people like I think a lot of good points have been made. For some people its important to do exactly what they want and ignore the opinions of those around them, for others its important that those around you like what do. If you place a lot of value on others opinions its not a bad thing, its just the way you are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 12:16pm
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I had my hair cut because my ex best friend kept on at me about how great I would look with short hair, blah, blah. At the moment I like the fact that I can get ready and be out of the house in less than half the time it took before, but that's about it. I have red hair (as you might have guessed) and it was nearly down to my butt. It was such a part of who I am that I just don't feel the same since I lost it, but I am sure I will get over it. I am not with the same guy who said he liked my hair short anymore, but my new boyfriend says my hair is my decision and he would like me anyway I have it (love you Si).
Other peoples opinions do matter to me, thats why I posted the question and I suppose I was just surprised from reading "Short Hair" how many guys seemed to prefer it. I will leave it growing out for now and see how I feel in a week or two, I don't think having it cut again would bother me as much as the first time.
I would welcome more feedback - so over to you guys!
trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 1:40pm
I'll give one more piece of advice. If your hair is short now. and will likely be grown back in the future, then have fun with it. Style it lots of different ways, maybe cut it in some different styles while it grows out. Expiriment tons and enjoy. One thing that always depresses me a bit is when a girl cuts her long hair, decides she hates it in the first week, then never tries tweaking it to what may be a really fun cut. Nows a chance to do some new things and even if you grow it out you should still enjoy some of the positives of having it short.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 2:39pm
I'm another one whos wife has gone dramatically shorter since we first met 9 years ago, principally in two main stages. She absolutely loves her short hair now and is still going shorter rather than growing it out, although she freely admits that if she had been cropped to this extent 5 or 6 years ago she would have burst into tears and been mortified. Indeed she had a continual battle with her former stylist to keep her hair long - it was a couple of years after changing stylists that she went for it.

I think it all comes down to the individual woman and where she is at and what she is doing in her life as to what length of hair she is comfortable with at any given point. There is no harm in spending 10 years with ultra long hair, getting it all cut off and spending a few years with ultra short hair, before growing it into a different style.

I'd say have fun and experiment with your short hair while you have it & keep it short for a time. IF you grow it out in future at least you'll know what you look like with short hair, whether you ever decide to cut it short again or not.
Its your hair, your choice and your decision
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 6:08pm
You did something drastic going from so long to so short. Missing it is understandable. Most women aren't brave enough to do it all at once, so feel proud of yourself.

Your boyfriend is scoring major boyfriend points by saying your my hair is your decision and he would like you anyway you have it. But you say other people's opinions matter to you, especially the boyfriend's. So don't let him off so easy. Tell him that you like that he likes you no matter what, but that you want his input. Pick up a hairstyle book or download a lot of short hairstyles from the web and ask him to look at them with you. Only show him the ones you like. It will do a lot for your confidence if he says, "that one rocks" or "that would look hot on you." Nothing beats compliments from your significant other.

If your boyfriend were like the guys on the "Short Hair" board, you would hear a lot of compliments and might feel better about it. He might not be, but that doesn't mean he can't flatter you.

Maybe this cut is too short for you or just isn't the right cut. Experimenting might help you find a cut you like. View it as an opportunity. If not, you can always grow it long later.
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2005 at 9:17pm
as bad as i hate to admit it, DD is right this time...

You'll get 99% positive feedback here about keeping it short...

Good luck.
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 5:53am
Female, but here to chime in on the side that it doesn't matter what guys in general think. You have a bf already, so right now he's the only guy you need to think about. Definitely get him involved in making the decision for what to do next with your hair. But I like the suggestion of showing him styles you like and having him help choose from those, because you have to please yourself first.
And whether you grow it long again or not, do try to see this as an opportunity to try out different styles, styling products, and hair accessories (any little jewels, hairpins, clippies, headbands, etc. that will stay in your hair are fair game! any that don't stay, wait a month or two and try again ^_^ ). You can even try on clothes you didn't think suited you before, to see how the change in hairstyles affects how you look in them. You'll seem more attractive to everyone around you if you're having fun trying out new looks than if you were to sit around moping and wishing it were longer.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 12:28pm
Thank you for all the replies, you have made me feel much better about my hair.
I only posted the question because my boyfriend said he wasn't bothered how I had my hair and I wanted some guys opinions. I have finally managed to get him to give his opinion, after much persuading (I don't think he wanted to upset me, poor flower, lol) anyway he likes short bobbed hair with short bangs, especially when the bob is angled so it is shorter at the back than the front. I think I can live with that, so as soon as my hair is long enough I will get some extensions and go for it.
Thanks again Sarah the redhairedgirl.
shorthairnomore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthairnomore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 6:43pm
Its totally up to you how you want your hair but I`m a guy who loves long hair on ladies......Just way more beautiful and elegant in my oppion.......
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by redhairedgirl redhairedgirl wrote:

Thank you for all the replies, you have made me feel much better about my hair.
I only posted the question because my boyfriend said he wasn't bothered how I had my hair and I wanted some guys opinions. I have finally managed to get him to give his opinion, after much persuading (I don't think he wanted to upset me, poor flower, lol) anyway he likes short bobbed hair with short bangs, especially when the bob is angled so it is shorter at the back than the front. I think I can live with that, so as soon as my hair is long enough I will get some extensions and go for it.
Thanks again Sarah the redhairedgirl.

There are a lot of us who like short hair. It sounds like the new boyfriend does too. You won't need extensions for an a-line like one. Just wait a few months for it to grow out. Find a pic of the haircut that you and the boyfriend like and put it on your bulletin board near your bed.

And go to http://www.livejournal.com/community/locks_of_fury/ and you'll find out all about the cut your boyfriend is suggesting.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 12:13am
I prefer long hair on 90% of women. Most guys feel similarly. That said, I like some short cuts myself on *some* women. You are lucky to have a guy who doesn't care about hair. Have fun re-growing! BTW, *MY* wife recieves far more positive remarks about her LONG hair! Bob
To me, long locks give a woman an extra dimension of beauty. A good short cut is one which highlights *other* facets of a woman's attractiveness, such as eyes, lips and neck, although long styles can also help do this. Amazing length, if it is worn with flair, can overwhelm any facial flaws to the point I don't even notice them.
This may sound corny, but *any* woman who tries her best to look good succeeds, in my eyes.
S_Miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S_Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 1:47pm
I've always have had short hair styles and I've never had problems getting dates. Many men ( and women) have complimented on my short hair styles and I guess at this point of my life, it helps "define" me.
Stephanie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic