Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Real Scoop On Boar's Head Brushes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Real Scoop On Boar's Head Brushes
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
Dear Kate,Yes...as a client of Jim Butchee I use the Battalia brush and have since Jim found it. I used to use a boar's bristle brush a long time ago but Jim explained to me why it was not better.The Battalia brush is very firm and you don't have to worry about the spokes being too soft or falling out. I used to use the Montclair brush (which Jim used to recommend) but the brush would eventually have the problem of the bristles falling out or pushing into the body of the brush.I have not had this problem with the Battalia. I think that it is the best brush that Jim has recommended so far.Jim has taught me how important the right brush is and it does seem to make a difference.Hope this helps.Regards.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Kate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
Karen,Since you are a client of Jim Butchee, I am assuming that you use the Battalia brush. I was wondering if you personally feel that it gave you better results than natural bristle brushes, if you have ever tried those. Also, I have very thick, curly hair and I would like to know how stiff the bristles are; are they very flexible? Thanks!
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
Wow...I had no idea. I always heard that the Boar's Head Bristle brush was the absolute best.Thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.Mary
Karen (LVHS) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen (LVHS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:16am
Jim Butchee and I were having a long conversation this week about brushes and pics and the benefits or disadvantages to hair.Jim has asked me to write up my notes to post on this site. However, I want to share it with Itzel since she asked if they are good or not.First of all...yes.....due to legal restrictions, Boar Head Bristle brushes MAY only contain a percentage of actual Boar Head Bristles.However, as Jim explained, most Boar Head Bristle brushes...are not...in his opinion....good for your hair. And the reason for this...is that the brush is made up of brush spokes that are rough and will catch and tear your hair.Historically women ONLY used to wash their hair once a week. Therefore Boar's Head brushes (which used to be 100% Boar's Head) were used to brush the hair 100 stroke a day. This guaranteed that the oil was distributed throughout the length of the hair and not centered around the scalp. This prevented scalp problems.In modern times...women generally wash their hair every day. If not every day....every other day. Therefore...there is no longer a need to redistribute the oil that used to build up on the scalp in old days.Brush technology has greatly improved as well. The Battalia brush that Jim endorses and sells on this site....is excellent because the brush spokes were designed with soft knobs that will have a minimal impact on tearing or ripping the hair.Of course it is never recommended that you brush your hair when it is wet because it is more vulnerable and fragile. It is also not recommended that you brush your hair 100 times a day (like in the old days).Jim showed me...with a magnifying glass....the individual spokes of the Battalia brush. Then he showed me several other brushes...and the difference in the brush components and spokes was shocking. I am never again going to just pick up a brush without looking at the spokes again.Good luck and happy brushing.Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic