Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDiscouraged about colorist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeanie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discouraged about colorist
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:18am
Hi,I have been hanging out at this site for about 1 month and have read all the great postings about hair color and the Askkarens and Hair News. I have been wanting to have my hair woven with multiple colors. I read one of Karen's post about how to do three different colors doing foils.I asked several people and they gave me the name of this great colorist. I called and made an appointment for a consultation ONLY. I paid for the colorist to tell me that foils were unpredictable and "bled" and that my hair was too long (mid back) for foils and that more than one color didn't really look all that great. So now I am very very discouraged. I left the salon without having anything done at all.Is all of this true? The colorist basically said that all I was a candidate for was a cap with one color. Is this also true?Help!!!!Jeanie
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:18am
Hi,When I got foils done my hair was past mid back. I was unhappy with the end result. I wanted more noticable highlites, no one at work even had any idea I got highlites. So I went back to a different salon after one month and she said the foils slipped, so it seemed like I had three months of roots after one month. I have very thick naturally curly hair and when it's brushed out it's huge, so they can't use a cap on me. She mixed up the dye and painted it on with a brush. She said to come back if I wanted more. I went back and she didn't match the color to the color the day before. She just put bleach on my hair with no toner. I asked for a couple of chunkier highlites in the front so I left with brassy orange thick highlites. So I went and had to buy two boxes of dye to cover the new chunky orange things in my hair. It all added to a 280 dollar mistake. So go with pictures and keep going in for consultations until you are happy with what they tell you.Good Luck,Sherry> Hi,> I have been hanging out at this site for> about 1 month and have read all the great postings> about hair color and the Askkarens and Hair News.> I have been wanting to have my hair woven with> multiple colors. I read one of Karen's post about> how to do three different colors doing foils.>> I asked several people and they gave me the> name of this great colorist. I called and made> an appointment for a consultation ONLY. I paid> for the colorist to tell me that foils were unpredictable> and "bled" and that my hair was too> long (mid back) for foils and that more than one> color didn't really look all that great. So now> I am very very discouraged. I left the salon without> having anything done at all.> Is all of this true? The colorist basically> said that all I was a candidate for was a cap> with one color. Is this also true?> Help!!!!> Jeanie
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:18am
Jeanie--Hi there.I'd arrange consultations with two other colorists (not in the same salon). Bring pictures. If they both tell you the same thing, that this process isn't ideal for your hair type, I'd accept that as the truth.I've heard that this multicolor technique isn't good for very long hair, because the different colors are inevitably going to overlap each time you have it retouched. Instead of getting distinctly different colors, you get muddy-looking, damaged hair.Ally
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:18am
Hi, I wouldn't recommend paying for a consultation. Most good salons I have been to have always had a colorist on staff that was more than happy to come over and talk to me about what she could do. They make money on your business for heaven's sake. Even most lawyers don't charge for the initial consultation! I also recommend that you ask the colorist to see her portfolio, which she should happily show you. Also ask what special training she has had. Some stylists will tell you they are colorists, but have not had any extra professional schooling or continueing education in coloring. Ask what happens if it doesn't turn out as you had hoped. Will she do what it takes to fix it for free? She should. And last but not least, I know I tell people all of the time to see a colorist, but there are times when you will be happier if you do it yourself. I would not recommend anything complicated like foiling or going platinum blonde, but home haircolor is fantastic now. I have done my own for years because I always hate what they do to me in the salon. They never, ever gave me the color that I wanted and I got tired of paying 80 dollars or more and then going home to do it myself anyway! I recently learned how to do my own highlights as well and I am very happy with my hair. At this point I probably know as much about coloring as my stylist! Let us know how things go. Good luck!>> Jeanie--> Hi there.> I'd arrange consultations with two other> colorists (not in the same salon). Bring pictures.> If they both tell you the same thing, that this> process isn't ideal for your hair type, I'd accept> that as the truth.> I've heard that this multicolor technique> isn't good for very long hair, because the different> colors are inevitably going to overlap each time> you have it retouched. Instead of getting distinctly> different colors, you get muddy-looking, damaged> hair.> Ally
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:22am
How do you find a good colorist? I have never been to a salon, I wouldn't even know what to ask.I have dark brown hair and I think I want a change. Where can I find a salon that can use a computer with my face and other hair colors?Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic