Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested?  Great For Hair?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested? Great For Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested? Great For Hair?
    Posted: December 31 2001 at 2:34am
Hi all,

I subscribe to The Herb Quarterly and I was interested in a brief article that they had about how peppermint oil, the authentic essential oil, is being tested for an assorment of persistent & distressing gastrointestinal symptoms. The oil is being taken internally. Which sort of suprised me because it is known that you should never ingest essential oils unless under the strict supervision of a naturopathic physician. They do mention this in the article but I found it fascinating.

For their tests they used 0.2 to 0.4 mg of peppermint oil, 3 times a day in capsule that were taken internally. They also experimented with enteric coated and uncoated capsules to see what happened if/when the peppermint oil was released into the small intestine and the colon or just released into the stomach.

It turned out that the oil that was released only in the stomach did not have benefits but the oil that was released into the intestines & color did show promising relief from irritable bowel syndrome.

I have played with peppermint oil for head massages but have always been careful to use it mixed with oils or if I put it into my bath, I always make sure it is mixed with water appropriately. Peppermint is a great hair massage oil and I like peppermine tea for settling a nervous stomach made from commercial teas.

I found it really interesting that the experts are now testing peppermint oil to help relax irritable bowels and other stress related conditions. It further adds to the idea that peppermint can help relax the scalp and thus help hair grow better.

Again, never take an essential oil internally w/out express approval from your physician or naturopathic healer. It could be poisonous if taken in too large of quanties. Also remember to never use it on your scalp or your body w/out first diluting in carrier oil, water or other appropriate delivery methods.

If anyone has additional info on this or just on peppermint oil uses I would love to heave them and share any recipes.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
MFC View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2001 at 3:12am
Reply to message: 27.6.1
Great info. Thanks.

Here is a recipe that I have played w/ that uses peppermine oil.

Start w/ coconut oil about 4 ounces. If your hair is super long you may want to double this recipe. This is a rich and tingling oil for hair and scalp.

Coconut oil - 4 ounces
10 drops of peppermint essential oil (great brain oil & good for killing bacteria)
20-25 drops of lavender (relaxing)

Add coconut oil to a heat-proof bowl or cup and then place into a larger pan filled with hot water. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer but don`t get the oil too hot since you will be using it as a head massage oil.

Pour melted coconut oil into a Ball glass or similar capped jar and add the essential oils. Quickly cap the mixture to prevent loss of essential oils. Allow mixture to cool and harden. Store out of heat or sunlight since coconut oil will start to soften around 75 degrees.

Use as a hot hair oil treatment. Scoop out enough to massage your scalp and dry parts of your hair. Place in the palm of your hands and warm the mixture until it starts to get soft. Massage into your scalp and hair.

I have tried both using the "heat in the palm" trick and the heat again in the microwave. I prefer the palm trick so that i can control the temperature of the mixture better. Once I got it too hot on my scalp. OUCH.

Peppermint is a stimulating type of oil but the lavender is relaxing so you are getting a good combination.

I don`t like to use peppermint in oil alone because it is too stimulating for my own taste.

Enjoy.

Cheryl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2001 at 3:49pm
Reply to message: 27.7.1
Thanks so much for all the peppermint stuff. If makes me want to crush all the peppermints left from Xmas and do something with it. :-) Of course I know that is not the same thing but you get my drift. I just love the aroma of peppermint and this recipe sounds great.

Any ideas where to buy good essential oils for a good price that are authentic?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 5:31am
Hi all,

Thanks for the great peppermint recipe. I love coconut oil but find that it is too thick for my hair and so I tend to prefer jojoba which is so light, almond and sesame. Olive is great but it can leech out hair color sometimes and with my highlighted hair I tend to worry about that so I stick with the lighter oils.

I am going to experiment with the peppermint oils and jojoba. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
tracey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2002 at 6:05am
Any suggestions on where to buy the various oils like jojoba & peppermint?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2002 at 6:40am
Hi Tracey,

I buy my oils here in Dallas at the Whole Foods Market. They have a wide selection of brands and they do sell the authentic essential oils which is important to note. Synthetic just will not do the trick.

Do you prefer to buy over the Net or mail order or do you like to go and buy the oil in person?

I have had good luck with mail order and also over the Web but I like to go personally and look at everything. :-)
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 3:39am
I also use peppermint aromatherapy for migraine relief, I add extra to my shampoo and conditioner to shock myself awake in the morning (good for stimulation). I mix it with wintergreen, eucalyptus, rosemary, spearmint, and vertiver essential oils for my treatments for back spasms. Again, another one of those things you don`t want to do unless you know what you are doing. Wintergreen is toxic and builds up in your system.

Karen, you are right about not ingesting EOs unless supervised, but there are EOs in a lot of things....especially peppermint oil...toothpaste, gum, candy..... There is a farm here that sells peppermint and spearmint to Wrigley/Proctor & Gamble. Flathead Valley is known for it`s mints.

PLEASE use caution, this is one of those to avoid if you are pregnant, which I will post in another topic.

oh I could rattle forever....

Karen?
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 3:46am
forgot to add, peppermint increases/stimulates circulation.

increased bloodflow is good for healthy hair/scalp etc......
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 1:00pm
Thanks for all the great notes from FoxFan & Karen. I love Tom`s toothpaste with peppermint. One of my favorite ways to stop eating. Don`t want to lose the minty freshness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic