Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Board - How About Nettle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Board - How About Nettle?
    Posted: January 01 2002 at 4:04pm
Hey Karen,

Thanks for the new topic. I love this stuff. I have been reading that nettle is very good for the hair. Do you know of any recipes that use nettle that would be good to try?

Happy New Year
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 5:29am
Hi,

I have tried Nettle. I guy the dried leaves only at Whole Foods in Dallas. I pour 1 pint of boiling water in a glass/boil proof pot to 1/8th of nettle, give or take a little more. I cover with a tight glass cover and let steep, like tea, for up to 10 hours. I always make on a weekend and keep it steeping for at least 2 hours and sometimes all day.

I strain into a plastic strainer w/ cheesecloth cover to make sure I remove all the herbs. I put in another amber bottle and cover tightly and keep out of direct sunlight or heat. If I am not going to use it right away I will refrigerate.

To use I heat the liquid on the stove until warm and then I use as a rinse. The best way to use this is to massage the liquid into your scalp after a shampoo and use a large bowl to catch the herbal liquid runoff. I take a large ladle with me into the shower and a tupperware bowl. As the herbs run off my head I just laddle them back on. This allows me to have several "rinses" of the nettle with great results.

I have also experimented with letting the nettle steep for 24 hours and pouring the liquid into my Giovanni 50/50 shampoo. This did not seem to work as well.

I also have added it to jojoba oil and used it as a hair oil for hot oil treatments. That seemed to work a little better than the shampoo mix but not as good as the pure rinse.

You can experiment and do all sorts of things with making herbal remedies.

Let me know what you try and how it works for you.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Georgia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 10:56am
Thanks Karen. Can`t wait to try this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic