Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Macadamia Oil Recipe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Macadamia Oil Recipe?
    Posted: January 04 2002 at 3:42am
I found a recipe in a magazine that said to use macadamia oil and rose petals and some other things to treat your hair. It took me forever to find the oil and when I finally did I couldn`t find the recipe and I`ve been searching all over the internet. Can you improvise and tell em what I can do with it? Have you heard of a recipe? I would love to hear back, thanks!! Jen Marshall, OR.
Karen M. Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen M. Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 3:48am
Hi Jen,

I do not have a specific recipe using macadamia oil but it really doesn`t surprise me that you saw a recipe using this oil because it has a reputation as being a nice moisturizing oil. Rose petals may or may not be more for the aroma than the benefit to the hair but it would be a nice addition and definitely worth playing with.

What I would recommend is that you play with the macadamia oil and create your own recipe.

A standard hot oil treatment for hair will often have proportions of 1-4 ounces of carrier oil to 20-30 drops of the essential oil.

I would recommend that you do a "test recipe" using 1/2 to 1 ounce of a very light carrier oil like jojoba or sesame or almond to 10-12 drops of the oil. Do a patch test on a small section of hair and near the scalp and then leave on for a little while. Wait 24-48 hours and then if you don`t have a reaction I would recommend that you go to the next level.

For that I would start by using 1 ounce of sesame or jojoba oil and 20-30 drops of the macadamia oil as the base. If you are worried that that may be too intense then consider starting with more carrier oil and use 4 ounces of sesame, jojoba (or almond or coconut) and 20-25 drops of the macadamia oil.

I would then recommend that you add the rose petals, but that you probably want to crush them first. I would add just a few crushed rose petals to start.

If the recipe works for you with either the 1 or 4 ounces of carrier oil you can play with adding more or less of the essential oil. You can also play with adding a secondary oil or other ingredients.

I promise to keep my eyes open and if I see any similar recipes I will definitely let you know.

I hope others will post their recommendations here as well.

Best wishes,
Karen

PS. Let me know how this works for you. :-)
tracey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2002 at 6:06am
I would love to try the Macadamia oil but any ideas where to get this?
Karen M. Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen M. Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2002 at 5:23pm
Phyto 9 uses Macadamia oil to give super softening to their leave-in formula.

Try ATL for the Macadamia oil:
http://www.essential-oil.org/shop/index.htm

It is listed under carrier oils or you can do a search on Macadamia.

Best wishes,
Karen
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 3:26am
Camden-Grey (http://www.essentialoil.net) in FL has it here is the actual page since her`s open in frames:
http://www.turbosales.com/essentialoil/Oil-veg.html

Another one is Lisa and Eric at Between Friends, Too in AZ fro those of u on the west coast:

http://betweenfriendstoo.com/exoticoils.htm

Both have high quality carrier oils, essential oils, etc. I am not getting anything from this, but I deal with their businesses for my own and know they don`t` cut their oils with any chemicals. I have, unfortunately, received oils from companies who do.

Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 10:24am
Hi Trix,

Just went to the sites. WOW. Great stuff. I am really getting into the hair butters too. So I was excited to see all the oils that they have and the butters.

Yes, high quality carrier oils are so important. I have also gotten poor quality and it is just frustrating...to say the least.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 9:12pm
I have some Kokum butter in my cabinet right now that is just horrible....smells like paint. and it`s brittle/beige.

supposed to be creamy white with no smell since it was sold as "ultra refined" yuk! it was soapers grade.

I am going to use it to make shampoo bars for my dogs lol.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 1:41am
Hey FF,

Where did you get the Kokum and how do you avoid getting stuck with a product that smells bad and is not what it is supposed to be? I am assuming this could be a problem with buying hair butters.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 12:20pm
I was unfamiliar with the use of macadamia oil as a hair treatment but an Asian friend of mine said a spa in Bali uses it as a scalp treatment. Sure enough, I found it on their web site as part of their aromatherapy (http://www.99bali.com/spa/thestory/asian_health/hair_story.html). Very interesting reading.
Merlin
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2002 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Hey FF,

Where did you get the Kokum and how do you avoid getting stuck with a product that smells bad and is not what it is supposed to be? I am assuming this could be a problem with buying hair butters.

Karen,

soapers buy from large suppliers in what is called "fast buys" or "co-ops" which are not the same thing. In one case the stuff is bought first, then u buy from the person, in the other u pay upfront and the person buys the supplies then ships out to you. We usually buy as a group because it makes it cheaper for us. We buy 400-500 pounds at a time and it`s split up over several people. Am I making sense?

Lisa @ BetweenFriendsToo.com has a good list of butters and oils. I believe she has been in on a couple of our fast buys and keeps a supply on hand for those that want to try different butters or need an emergency "few pounds" to get them thru till the next buy.

It`s a trial and error thing, really. There are soaping lists just like there are hair lists. All you have to do is post "ISO (In search of) ____" and the replies come in from people who have had good results from certain suppliers. The one that I got wasn`t bad as much as it was misrepresented. It was sold to me as "ultra refined kokum butter" which sells for about $20 lb. In reality it was natural kokum butter which sells for about $8 lb.

Bear in mind, if you order butters from wholesale suppliers they usually come in quart size ziploc bags. which is more than fine with me because they go in the fridge lol.... Vivian (camden grey) ships my citric acid and beeswax in gallon size ziploc. Some ship in glass for oils but most ship in PET or HDPE plastic to keep shipping costs down.

I have posted some of the good ones that I have dealt with here for essential oils etc (Camden-Grey, Betweenfriendstoo.com, pennysfromheaven.com, etc). I get my Shea Butter from Rachael from the-buying-group.com she has the best price on ultra-refined shea even for non-members. She beats the co-op prices even.

boy I got off topic...did I answer your question?

As far as where I get the kokum, I order it by the pound from someone. I have tried to get her supplier out of her but she won`t tell me lol....its fine. that is how she supports her business, so I will continue to go thru her.

I have 15 lbs of shea butter and 10 lbs of kokum butter in my house if you want me to send u a little bit let me know. To look at them u can`t really tell the difference, but they have different properties.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

I was unfamiliar with the use of macadamia oil as a hair treatment but an Asian friend of mine said a spa in Bali uses it as a scalp treatment. Sure enough, I found it on their web site as part of their aromatherapy (http://www.99bali.com/spa/thestory/asian_health/hair_story.html). Very interesting reading.

Hi Merlin,

That is a great page. Only problem, it made me want to be in Bali. :-)

Karen
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 7:19am
Hi Karen,

I agree 100%. I get the Bali Feeling every morning when I walk outside without my coat. ;)

Merlin
Merlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

Hi Karen,

I agree 100%. I get the Bali Feeling every morning when I walk outside without my coat. ;)

Merlin

Hi Merlin,

Love your response. I am still laughing. :-)

Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic