Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Hot Oil For Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tracey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Hot Oil For Hair?
    Posted: January 04 2002 at 11:04am
OK. I will admit I am a little confused. I have read about jojoba oil and it sounds great but I have never tried it. I did try coconut oil and it was just plain yucky. I thought olive oil was too heavy and I did like the almond and sesame oil as being better. Are there other oils that I should consider using and why? What about peanut oil or castor oil or even cooking oil? I guess everyone has their favorite. I was just curious what you would all think.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 12:14pm
Hi Tracey,

Jojoba oil is wonderful but yes it can be hard to find sometimes and it can be expensive. Although I have used the jojoba oil alone I like to use it w/ Aveda`s Beautifying Oil. The Beautifying oil is expensive but it lasts and lasts for a long time. A lot of people don`t like Aveda because they are expensive and their marketing policies can be distastful to many consumers. However, the product has always worked for me.

I like olive oil but I have highlighted hair and because of the acidic content, hot olive oil may strip color or highlights. So I avoid it for that reason. Coconut oil smells nice but yes, it tends to be heavy.

I would not recommend castor oil to anyone. I tried it for a few treatments and YUCK. Not only did it make my hair darker, it was hard to remove in terms of being super oily. Some people with really damaged hair swear by it but I find it to be just too much of an oily substance.

Peanut oil is good and I also like hemp oil which does help soften my hair. A lot of oils can be found at most large heath food stores.

I would not recommend most regular cooking oils because in my opinion that don`t offer the same level of benefit. I guess that if I have to go through the process of applying oil to my head and being on drip patrol I want to use a good quality oil for my time.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 3:56pm
I really like Monoi!! I mix it with leave-ins, I put it on dry hair by itself, I use it as a pre wash conditioner. All that and it never feels greasy unless I REALLY overdo.

Since I have such good luck with Aveda and generally products that seem to work for Karen`s hair (even though I have about one eighth of it) I`m going to give the Aveda a try too.

Can we say PRODUCT JUNCKIE !!! ...gabi
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2002 at 6:37am
Hi Wags,

So good to see you over here. I have to tell you that I have never tried Monoi. I have read about it, thought about it, researched it and talked to tons of people who love it but I have not ever gotten around to it.

However, if you think it works well and we have similar hair (we are similar in age by the way ;-) then I want to try it.

Later today I am making the rounds of the Dallas herb and alternative stores. We have some amazing shops here so I will see if I can find it here.

I know of two places on the Net to buy it but am wondering if Whole Foods might have it?

I love Aveda even though Estee has made them outrageously expensive and hard to find. So I have a love/hate with Aveda. I love what it does for my hair and I hate how much it costs and what I have to do to get it. Oh well, such is life. :-)

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
missy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2002 at 12:29am
WOW. Love this new board. All my fav topics.`

I adore the Monoi Karen. Try it. Here is where I buy mine online:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thevitaminsolution/cocoileigsce.html

Keep all these wild but helpful posts coming. I love to see you posting so much. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2002 at 5:58am
OK, now you have really done it. You got me hooked. I was up all night...and I mean all night....researching oils, including Monoi. Look what you started. I am totally out of control now and will be hot oiling myself to death. :-)
GloryGirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 2:09am
I personally love hemp oil. I use it w/ and without my shampoo. It smells wonderful w/ a nutty aroma and it makes my hair feel great.

Next to the hemp I adore jojoba and coconut.
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 2:59am
The type of oil used depends on the type of hair you have. Heavy oils, such as olive, should be reserved for those with thick, curly, or coarse hair. Lighter oils, such as sweet almond or grapeseed, are good for fine or thin hair.

A good way to test an oil before you put it on your hair is to put it on your hand then try to rinse it off with warm water...if it stays put too well, its not going to come off your hair.

I have fine, but thick hair and use a blend of meadowfoam, grapeseed, and shea butter.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 5:44am
Hi Trix,

Where do you purchase your grapeseed and shea butter from?
KarenK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 9:59am
Karen,

Whole Foods (in IL) does not carry monoi oil.

Two other online places to purchase:
http://www.tahiti-iti.com
http://store.yahoo.com/vitanet/

My hair is very similar to the descriptions and pictures of yours. The monoi has done wonders for softening the coarseness of my hair.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 7:58am
I just use those cheap V05 or Suave hot oils. Are those bad??
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 9:42am
Personally i use Queen Helene`s placenta hot oil treatment. I love the price (8 weeks worth for only 5 dollars.)

I also have REALLY dry and curly hair and it makes the frizz a whole lot less noticeable and curls more defined since its not so dry. I also have extremly fried hair, and by these weekly hot oil treatments my hair has never felt better...even before i started dyeing my hair.
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 10:17am
well, where do you find this queen helenes placenta oil??
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 10:59am
I`ve seen their products in some beauty supply stores (such as Sally`s). They have their own web site http://www.queenhelene.com/ where they discuss their products. I found two web sites that sell the Placenta Hot Oil treatment.

1) sells a 1 oz. bottle for $1.99 - http://www.abantu.com/PRODUCTS/ETHNIC_HAIR_CARE/Queen_Helene/body_queen_helene.html

2) sells an 8 oz. bottle for $3.14 - http://www.ebeautymall.com/SMall/african/African_main.asp?CatId=2&SubId=19

I hope you find the product and it works well for you. :)
Merlin
scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 11:12am
wow thanx merlin...i might have to try that ebeautymall to save myself some money:)

I got mine at sally`s its 1 oz bottle is 1.49 there and the 8 oz is 4.99

you aught to just try the 1 oz bottle first though because it might not be right for you as it is for me:P
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 12:42pm
what if you don`t have a credit card though? and can`t but off the net? I`m only 17. I`d like to buy some of the H37 vitamins... but I don`t have a credit card.
scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2002 at 1:34pm
you can still buy stuff like that though:) you can just do money orders

just say that you need to pay with a money order...or if you have a checking acount a check:)

justin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

WOW. Love this new board. All my fav topics.'

I adore the Monoi Karen. Try it. Here is where I buy mine online:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thevitaminsolution/cocoileigsce.html

Keep all these wild but helpful posts coming. I love to see you posting so much. :-)

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and my poor credit card. :-)

Thank you so much for your post.

Best wishes,
Karen
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:30am
Originally posted by KarenK KarenK wrote:

Karen,

Whole Foods (in IL) does not carry monoi oil.

Two other online places to purchase:
http://www.tahiti-iti.com
http://store.yahoo.com/vitanet/

My hair is very similar to the descriptions and pictures of yours. The monoi has done wonders for softening the coarseness of my hair.

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for the links. Any experience with ordering from either?

Since we have similar hair do you leave the oil on overnight or how do you use it? I would appreciate hearing how you get the best results.

Did you ever use the other types of coconut oil like the virgin or the fractionated?

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

I've seen their products in some beauty supply stores (such as Sally's). They have their own web site http://www.queenhelene.com/ where they discuss their products. I found two web sites that sell the Placenta Hot Oil treatment.

1) sells a 1 oz. bottle for $1.99 - http://www.abantu.com/PRODUCTS/ETHNIC_HAIR_CARE/Queen_Helene/body_queen_helene.html

2) sells an 8 oz. bottle for $3.14 - http://www.ebeautymall.com/SMall/african/African_main.asp?CatId=2&SubId=19

I hope you find the product and it works well for you. :)

Thankyou so much for the scoop on the links. Those are really good prices. I really love Queen Helene products. Everything I have seen from them is very high quality.

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic