Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Hot Oil For Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
GodivaFan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodivaFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 10:25am
What about walnut oil? Has anyone tried that? I know that it is contained in some shampoos but I am wondering if it is good to use straight on the hair?
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Hi Trix,

Where do you purchase your grapeseed and shea butter from?

Karen,

Grapeseed comes from my local health food store if I am in a bind (I buy it by the gallon). ;)

My Shea (ultra-refined) I get from Rachel @ the-buying-group.com she has it for 4.95 a pound last time I checked. That is visitor price. it has a shelf life of 1 yr but if u put it in the fridge u can get two years out of it.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 7:22am
You`re most welcome Karen. I have learned so much since discovering your web site that I am glad to return the favor - in a small way.

I know it takes a great deal of work to maintain a site like this and you are to be commended for your efforts. You provide a valuable service.

Thanks for all you do. :)

Merlin
Merlin
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 10:09am
Originally posted by GodivaFan GodivaFan wrote:

What about walnut oil? Has anyone tried that? I know that it is contained in some shampoos but I am wondering if it is good to use straight on the hair?

Isn`t it used in shampoos for brunettes?

I am just picturing days of my youth with stained skin and clothing from walnuts, i don`t know that i would put it straight on my hair.

t
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2002 at 9:05am
You`re right, walnut oil can be used as a temporary brown hair color but some cosmetics use it for its moisturizing qualities.

I have an herb book that includes it in a treatment for dry hair:

Dry Hair Miracle
This deep-conditioning treatment restores natural moisture to dry, damaged hair.

What you need:
3 drops rosemary
3 drops lavender
4 drops lemon
2 drops sandalwood
2 to 4 teaspoons of walnut oil (a carrier oil)

How to: Add essential oils to the walnut oil. Massage into clean, dry hair, concentrating on the scalp. Comb mixture through hair. Then wrap head in a very hot, damp towel and wait 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.

Also, Paul Penders has a line of natural haircare products, including a shampoo that has walnut oil, that is sold in this site. Read about it at http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=229
Merlin
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2002 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

You're most welcome Karen. I have learned so much since discovering your web site that I am glad to return the favor - in a small way.

I know it takes a great deal of work to maintain a site like this and you are to be commended for your efforts. You provide a valuable service.

Thanks for all you do. :)

Merlin

Hi Merlin,

You are so kind. Thank you so much. It is people like you that make all the sweat, tears, virus attacks, crazy people and sleepless nights worth every second.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2002 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Merlin Merlin wrote:

You're right, walnut oil can be used as a temporary brown hair color but some cosmetics use it for its moisturizing qualities.

I have an herb book that includes it in a treatment for dry hair:

Dry Hair Miracle
This deep-conditioning treatment restores natural moisture to dry, damaged hair.

What you need:
3 drops rosemary
3 drops lavender
4 drops lemon
2 drops sandalwood
2 to 4 teaspoons of walnut oil (a carrier oil)

How to: Add essential oils to the walnut oil. Massage into clean, dry hair, concentrating on the scalp. Comb mixture through hair. Then wrap head in a very hot, damp towel and wait 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.

Also, Paul Penders has a line of natural haircare products, including a shampoo that has walnut oil, that is sold in this site. Read about it at http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=229

Hi Merlin,

Thank you for that wonderful recipe. I am such a sucker for sandalwood. I burn sandalwood incense, sandalwood candles and I put sandalwood into my shampoo from time to time. :-)

Thank you again.
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2002 at 9:03am
Glad to be of service, Karen. If I find another recipe that is similar, I will certainly pass it on.

Have a good one! ;)
Merlin
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2002 at 2:10pm
hey everyone! I recently bought Tres mey or whatever.. I don`t know how to spell it. Anyways its an oil for your hair. Has anyone ever tried it before?
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2002 at 2:43pm
hey everyone... I used that TRESemme hot oil yesterday.. and today my hair is so soft! Overall I think the stuff is great!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 2:06am
Hi Amber June,

Thanks for the feedback. How long did you leave the oil on your hair? Did you use heat as well?

Best wishes,
Karen
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 12:27pm
I left the oil on for about 30 mins! It said it was self heating! But I still put a towel in the microwave for about 1 minute too warm it up and stuck that around my head.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

I left the oil on for about 30 mins! It said it was self heating! But I still put a towel in the microwave for about 1 minute too warm it up and stuck that around my head.

Thanks Amber June. Appreciate the additional details.

Best wishes,
Karen
Thomas View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2002 at 11:33pm
I have fine hair and I have heard that you can over oil or over deep condition hair? Also, while many of the oils mentioned sound intriquing I don`t have a clue where to begin to find them.

Can you overcondition fine hair? Also, I heard that olive oil can actually strip hair color?

Thanks. I have really enjoyed reading this thread.
Thomas View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2002 at 11:37pm
PS. Does hot oil strip color from hair that has been dyed or can it strip natural color from hair.
Tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2002 at 6:56pm
Oh my gosh, I never heard that about hot oil? Is that true? I use AlbertoVo5 every week and I have colored hair. I didn`t think about it before, but now I think I have noticed that my color does seem to fade after I do that. But then I might just be paranoid?
that is a hair DON'T
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2002 at 5:36am
Hey Thomas & Tina,

Yes, hot oil MAY strip hair color. In fact, a known remedy for toning down new haircolor treatments is repeated applications of hot oil treatments. Vo5 is often suggested as a way to turn down "too much" color. Remember that heat "opens" the hair cuticle allowing oils or other formulas to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft. This is a good thing when you are trying to add moisture or conditioning benefits. However, on newly added color, hot oils via heat will open the cuticle and cling to the hair color. When the hot oil is shampooed out of the hair the oil may also take newly added color with it right down the drain.

Olive oil, especially extra virgin which is the most pure form of olive oil, is acidic in nature. Therefore the acidic olive oil may strip color from the hair. Will it strip only chemical colors or natural colors? It tends to have most impact on chemically induced colors like dyes, highlights and temporary colors. I have heard of a few rare instances of olive oil altering natural color after long term and repeated use. However this is all subject to opinions, which vary on the topic. I suspect that you would have to use hot olive oil treatments on your hair every day for a very long time to get any sort of obvious change to natural hair color.

I would say that using hot olive oil on highlighted or colored hair more than once a week may speed up the color loss.

Does that mean you should not use hot oils? Not at all. Use them wisely. Maybe the best oils for your highlighted or colored hair is jojoba oil which would not have the same properties as olive.

One thing is for sure, avoid using hot oil treatments of any kind during the first 2 weeks of new color. Also, avoid use of hot water which can quickly fade new hair colors or highlights.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen

Tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2002 at 10:31am
WOW. Thank you Karen. It all makes sense but until you stop and think of it you never consider what hot oil can do to colored hair like mine.

I hope more oils are added to this thread.

Have a fabulous weekend.
Tina
that is a hair DON'T
CALI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2002 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Hey Thomas & Tina,

Yes, hot oil MAY strip hair color. In fact, a known remedy for toning down new haircolor treatments is repeated applications of hot oil treatments. Vo5 is often suggested as a way to turn down "too much" color. Remember that heat "opens" the hair cuticle allowing oils or other formulas to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft. This is a good thing when you are trying to add moisture or conditioning benefits. However, on newly added color, hot oils via heat will open the cuticle and cling to the hair color. When the hot oil is shampooed out of the hair the oil may also take newly added color with it right down the drain.

Olive oil, especially extra virgin which is the most pure form of olive oil, is acidic in nature. Therefore the acidic olive oil may strip color from the hair. Will it strip only chemical colors or natural colors? It tends to have most impact on chemically induced colors like dyes, highlights and temporary colors. I have heard of a few rare instances of olive oil altering natural color after long term and repeated use. However this is all subject to opinions, which vary on the topic. I suspect that you would have to use hot olive oil treatments on your hair every day for a very long time to get any sort of obvious change to natural hair color.

I would say that using hot olive oil on highlighted or colored hair more than once a week may speed up the color loss.

Does that mean you should not use hot oils? Not at all. Use them wisely. Maybe the best oils for your highlighted or colored hair is jojoba oil which would not have the same properties as olive.

One thing is for sure, avoid using hot oil treatments of any kind during the first 2 weeks of new color. Also, avoid use of hot water which can quickly fade new hair colors or highlights.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen

i HAVE COLORED HAIR BUT i DONT USE OLIVE OIL WHEN ITS HOT. iS IT SAFE TO USE EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ON SCALP(ROOM TEMP) IF i HAVE COLOR TREATED HAIR? WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF OLIVE OIL? DOES IT STIMULATE HAIR GROWWTH?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2002 at 7:38pm
Hi,

Olive oil is not known to stimulate hair growth by itself. When used as a carrier oil with other essential oils, like Basil (which has been proven to stimulate hair growth) the olive oil can be part of a total hair growth treatment. Used alone, olive oil is known more for its moisturizing and softening properties.

Any type of olive oil (hot or cold, virgin or extra virgin) MAY speed up the fading of color in color treated hair. This is because it is made from olives which are acidic and the acidity of the oil can potentially "eat away" the color added to the hair. When the olive oil is heated the heat will "blow open" the hair cuticle and allow the olive oil to penetrate deeper into the hair shaft and thus add to the potential for color fading.

This topic about olive oil is controversial. Some hair experts believe that you should not use olive oil of any kind on colored hair since it may cause accelerated color fading. Other experts think it is OK.

I personally have highlighted hair and thus do not use olive oil on my hair. I did notice that it seemed to fade my blonde highlights. I noticed the same with castor oil which is made from acidic castor beans.

I would recommend an oil that is less likely to leech color like sesame or jojoba.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic