Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Secondhand Smokers Can Harm Your Hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen M. Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen M. Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secondhand Smokers Can Harm Your Hair!
    Posted: January 06 2002 at 4:44pm
A recent published study at Arizone State University in Mesa confirmed that non-smoking people that live with a smoker have a high risk of adopting their poor dietary habits. As a result the study found that spouses and people who live with smokers tend to consume more hair harming products and foods high in fat along with cheese and artificial sweeteners.

The study also found that living with a smoker puts you at higher risk for other poor dietary habits including eating less fiber and skimping on "hair helpers" like folate and Vitamin A.

If you live with a smoker pay attention to your nutrition and make it a point to take Vitamin B, A and avoid excessive fat, artifical sugars and other products proven to weaken hair.

Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 1:03pm
Interesting and seems right to me. My big problem is that all my friends smoke and my hair always smells terrible. Any hints about how to either prevent smoke from clinging to hair or how to remove it once it gets embedded.
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2002 at 9:07pm
I bought some hair freshner at wal-mart. I think revlon makes it -- comes in cool scent and warm scent. basically covers but doesn`t solve. I used it to get out of "binds". both my parents smoked and I don`t -- to this day I hate the smell and if I go out as soon as I come in, the clothes go in the washer and i jump in the shower.

A more permanent thing.....I wet down my hair then make a paste out of shampoo and baking soda and smooth that over my hair. Go ahead and wash/shave/soak for about 20 min then rinse and condition as normal.

Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 1:46am
There are actually hair perfumes designed to cover up smoke. Guerlain Shalimar Beautifying Hair Gel (about $35) was pretty good. I don`t know if it is still available. Also, Giorgio Beverly HILls had "G: Glamorous Hair Fragrance. Again, I am not sure how available these are. Another thing you can go is glop on both rinse out and leave in conditioners. These will act as a small "block" to the smoke from permeating the hair. It may not totally get rid of the smell though.

I do like the shampoo/baking soda paste idea. It would definitely work on most smoked out hair. Also, tomatoe paste or juice will work but only as a last resort for tough odors because tomatoes are acidic and could do some damage to highlights or other colors.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic