Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

St. John`s Wort

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St. John`s Wort
    Posted: January 08 2002 at 1:55am
This herb can indirectly help hair growth and strength because it allviates depression, anxiety, stress and tenseness, which can impact the scalp by causing it to tighten and block healthy blood flow to the hair follicles. St. John`s Wort also helps with insomnia and sleep is a wonder aid for healthy hair.

St. John`s Wort is a common perennial herb with bright yellow floers and is available chiefly in capsule form. Like everything else, make sure you have your physican`s approval before you take any herbs or other remedies that we discuss on this board.

If anyone has thoughts about this herb or experiences they would like to share, I would love to hear about it.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2002 at 11:38pm
On a side note, with the plight of farmers in this country, our producers here are trying to find other crops to keep their businesses afloat.

SJW and echinacea are high cash crops and could help alot of farmers pull closer to getting out of debt. So why arent they growing it? It`s considered a noxious weed. Hard to control, and kills other plant life. Wildlife won`t eat it. Our bison herds were close to dying off because the SJW took over the bison range here. They had to move the bison and kill off the SJW then bring the bison back. sad thing is, it`s still here and we can`t get rid of it.

On a positive note, My husband is bipolar and has tried one anti depresent after another with horrid side effects. After trying everything on the market, his doctor agreed to a "detox" and now we treat him with Luminex by Melaleuca which contains St. John`s wort, griffonia seed, folic acid and vitamin B-12. He takes it during "down times" and is doing very well.

on the prescriptions he would have massive nose bleeds that would make him pass out. one of the side effects on one of them was suicidal tendencies (why put someone who is suicidal on meds that cause suicidal tendencies?)
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 5:43am
Hi FoxFan,

You are right, how horrible to take meds that cause such horrible side effects. I saw A Beautiful Mind today about John Nash who was diagnosed with a serious mental illness and at one point in the film he stops taking his meds because of side effects. Of course he starts having more problems but the side effects were just too much for him.

I have also been researching St. John`s Wort Oil and bought some not too long ago. I am fascinated by the fact that is is a ruby red colored oil. It is highly concentrated and definitely needs to be diluted in other oils like olive, jojoba, aloe vera, almond, etc., before use on hair, scalp or the body.

It is supposed to be very good for treating all types of sores, wounds and burns, especially sunburns.

I just love researching all the oils. The list just goes on and on. So keep those fingers typing. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:26pm
The plant itself is also ruby red. To look at it here on the moutainsides from a distance it looks like rust.

i am typing as fast as I can!!

watching the nails smoke,
trix
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:30pm
i should clarify that when it dries, when it is producing berries it`s green, but we can tell when it`s done "producing" because it turns rust. easier to spot -- the only plant around here that color!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 2:18am
Originally posted by foxfan318 foxfan318 wrote:

The plant itself is also ruby red. To look at it here on the moutainsides from a distance it looks like rust.

trix

OK. Explain. Nails smoke? :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 2:19am

i should clarify that when it dries, when it is producing berries it's green, but we can tell when it's done "producing" because it turns rust. easier to spot -- the only plant around here that color!

I did learn the hard way that it can stain. So this fact needs to be thought about when you use it. It stained my white bathtowel.

scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

trix

hehe i`m guessing she is meaning by she is typing so fast that her nails are smoking;)
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 4:02pm
Right on... lol

I am typing so fast trying keep up with everything that the letters are gone off the keys and my fingernails are short!

ok that was a stretch....

not really, the computer is too new...and I had to cut about an inch off my nails because I broke one. Once one breaks i can`t type with that hand so i cut them all... lol

Sorry, Karen... just trying to keep up!

*whew*
trix
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by scrye scrye wrote:

Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

trix

hehe i'm guessing she is meaning by she is typing so fast that her nails are smoking;)

Hi Scrye,

By the way I LOVE your little icon. Too cool.

OK...well DUH...now I get it. Smoking nails. I am a little slow sometimes. LOL.

Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic