Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Now I`ve gone around the bend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now I`ve gone around the bend
    Posted: January 08 2002 at 10:27pm
OK - my latest experiment is going to be Emu Oil products. Purpleemu.com and emusonline.com are links I got from Bargello on LHL. Good prices and large variety of products. Check it out...waggy
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2002 at 12:19am
emu oil is good. :)

I put a light film of emu on my face every night before going to bed for acne.

~~~~~~~~~

Pure Refined Emu Oil acts as a transdermal carrier, because of it`s deep penetrating effects. It has been proven to be non-pore clogging, and penetrates the skin, quickly leaving it feeling soft. Studies have shown that Emu Oil significantly reduces swelling, pain and morning stiffness in arthritis sufferers. The oil reduces inflammation around the joint allowing for freedom of movement. Emu Oil can be used on burned skin to lubricate and aid in healing, causing less scarring.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 4:31am
Do you feel that emu is superior to aloe vera oil? Aloe is often recommended for burns and I have read that it does help inflammation. What do you think? Would love to hear your opinion.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 3:34pm
Hi Guys!!

Unfortunately I don`t respond well to Aloe Vera so in my case I certainly hope so :=).

The biggest test for me will be my facial skin. I have rosacea and so far the only thing that completely obliterates that is anti biotics, which I would rather not take forever.

I am in a six month major experimentation phase - will keep reporting and take all donations, plus willing to sell all "loosers", real cheap :=D...gabi
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:26am
Hey Wags,

I have rosacea as well. I went to a great dermatologist whose name is Dr. Cheek. I am not kidding. :-) Unfortunately he also wanted me to do the antibiotics thing and I just wouldn`t because of my long lifetime battle with systemic candida from antibiotics I took at 15 for acne. So he gave me a topical gel that works when my face goes totally nuts (from stress) but I have been also experimenting with natural remedies. I found that vitamin E oil works well for my skin when I am not in the throes of a big breakout. Also, when I sleep more than 2 hours a night (LOL) my skin improves. DUH.

I am really into experimenting with all the oils and essential oils because I try to get a massage every week to also help w/ stress and my massage therapist has been experimenting for the past year with all the new oils I find and a wide range of essential oils.

Today I had a Reiki treatment and the woman that did the Reiki used an aroma diffuser with ylang ylang. Talk about mellow. I even fell asleep on the table. :-)

Thanks for the noe on the rosacea. It is nice to know that I am not alone out here with this skin challenge.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 3:42pm
Wow Karen!! OK, you won`t believe this but my dermatologist is Dr. Dotz (that`s even been in the local newspaper for "funnies").

It DOES help to know we`re not the only ones - rosacea sucks, big time, but at least you have HAIR. The Metrogel doesn`t work for me, alas... gabi

foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Do you feel that emu is superior to aloe vera oil? Aloe is often recommended for burns and I have read that it does help inflammation. What do you think? Would love to hear your opinion.

Best wishes,
Karen

Karen,

Personal experience? I think it is. I have had better results with the emu.

We used aloe on my son`s scars for a long time, with little change. then once we started using the emu i noticed a marked change.

i also notice a difference with my skin. right now i have one of those open acne type sores on my face (my kidneys don`t work right so the poisons come out my skin). i have been putting emu/kokum on it and it will be gone in a total of 2-3 days instead of 10 without.
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:06pm
Do either one of you have high levels of yeast in your body? it may be irritating your rosacea.

I had a book that i read about the effects of yeast on the body and found that yeast was behind a whole list of ailments. Mine were irritated so bad i had to be put on medication: for asthma (shots, pills and inhalers), migraines, numerous allergies, and arthritis just to name a few.

I no longer have the book, i sent it to my momma. But here are some links that might help:

http://alternativemedicineandhealth.com/conditions/rosacea.htm

http://www.rosacea.org/97tips.html
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Waggy Waggy wrote:

Wow Karen!! OK, you won't believe this but my dermatologist is Dr. Dotz (that's even been in the local newspaper for "funnies").

It DOES help to know we're not the only ones - rosacea sucks, big time, but at least you have HAIR. The Metrogel doesn't work for me, alas... gabi

Hi Gabi,

Wow. I think I like Dr. Dotz better than Dr. Cheek. my derm - Dr. Cheek - is the cutest little doctor. He almost looks like a cherub and is so kind and thoughtful and will take the time to listen. I just love him to death so it makes the rosaces more bearable. I can not believe that you can`t use Metrogel. That would definitely suck.

The weird thing about my rosacea is that my dad had it (Irish w/ very fair skin) but it didn`t really act up for him until he was in his 40s. Which is exactly what happened with me. I hit 40s and boom. Big time rosacea.

Taking lots of Flax Seed seems to help and I use the Metrogel sporadically for breakouts because I am suspicious that if I use it all the time my body will build a sensitivity. I am probably nuts but it concerns me.

Thank you for sharing about Dr. Dotz & your rosacea. Too funny about Dr. Dotz & Dr. Cheek.

Karen
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 2:10am
Originally posted by foxfan318 foxfan318 wrote:

Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Best wishes,
Karen

Karen,

Personal experience? I think it is. I have had better results with the emu.

We used aloe on my son's scars for a long time, with little change. then once we started using the emu i noticed a marked change.

i also notice a difference with my skin. right now i have one of those open acne type sores on my face (my kidneys don't work right so the poisons come out my skin). i have been putting emu/kokum on it and it will be gone in a total of 2-3 days instead of 10 without.

Hi FoxFan,

I guess I didn`t realize that you had a son. For some reason I think of you as in your teens. Maybe it is your cool nails or your husband`s cool photos of them. :-) Or maybe it is your very cool outlook on life and knowledge of so many things.

Thank you for the scoop on emu. I am going to add that to my list.

Are you kidney problems related to your accident or is this some other issue? I am curious because my kidneys seem to act up a little when I am under a lot of stress (mainly when I don`t sleep).

I went to Years To Your Health today and it is an herb/alternative formulas store that is in a little house. Reminds me of the hippy days when there were those alternative shops with the black lights. Except this shop has crystals and Bach Flower Remedies and herbal formulas. I bought some Gaia Ginsing and some fabulous fresh herbs and some white cedar smudge for the office.

This new board is dangerous because it gives me an excuse to play with oils and herbs and lots of new books. Yippeee. :-)

Karen
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 2:17am
Originally posted by foxfan318 foxfan318 wrote:

Do either one of you have high levels of yeast in your body? it may be irritating your rosacea.

I had a book that i read about the effects of yeast on the body and found that yeast was behind a whole list of ailments. Mine were irritated so bad i had to be put on medication: for asthma (shots, pills and inhalers), migraines, numerous allergies, and arthritis just to name a few.

I no longer have the book, i sent it to my momma. But here are some links that might help:

http://alternativemedicineandhealth.com/conditions/rosacea.htm

http://www.rosacea.org/97tips.html

Hi FoxFan,

I have been certified and documented as having systemic yeast. It has been traced back to when I was 13 and I went to a dermatologist back in St. Louis (not Dr. Cheek unfortunately) and he gave me full blown antibiotic shots every week. My face was clear but the side effects have been horrible. When I was 18 I started getting horrible bladder infections (cystitis) and they gave me sulpher related drugs and antibiotics for that. When made the cycle so much worse. I would take the drugs and then get a yeast infection and then I would get Monistat (in the days it was prescribed) and then I would be fine for about 2 weeks and the cycle would start all over.

Yes, I tried it all. Cranberry juice and lots of water and not sugar and just about everything you can imagine. What finally helped was taking powdered acidophilous every day, homeopathy, cantharis for cystitis attacks and suppositories made with borax and acidophilous powder. Accupuncture also helped.

The cystis and yeast problems would be so bad I could barely function at times. I was in agony. I finally got a handle on it in my late 30s but all through my 20s and 30s I suffered a lot with yeast related problems. All because of antibiotic shots in my teens for acne. UGH.

Ever since then I have been very paranoid about what drugs I will take and I see a Chinese doctor, accupunturist and herbalist on a regular basis to keep the candida and other related problems in check.

I can not even begin to tell you the horrors I went through with the bladder thing but I did go to a urologist for awhile and the things they do to you....ugh. Don`t ask. :-)

Karen
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 5:00pm
A teen....hmmm sometimes I think that would be cool but when I stop and think about it, I wouldn`t want to go thru that again.

I am almost 30 and hubby is 18 months older. Our son is 9. He still paints my nails -- and toenails -- when he has time or a wild hair. Mostly it`s him wanting to paint and me not having time to sit.

The kidney situation is inherited from my dad, my body just produces them. I have utis, kidney stones and kidney infections like crazy.....a urologist made it worse and I ended up in and out of the hospital for a year and a severely scarred kidney. I pass stones every other year -- 2002 is the year...hoy.

as for the emu and my son`s scars...that`s another post.

speaking of doctors...we have a chiropractor here named Dr. Popp.

trix
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 1:16am
Dr. Popp. How cool? So the question is whether the docs go into a profession because of their name or as a result?

Sorry about your kidneys. UGH. The urologist was not fun and I would not even take payment to do that one again. :-)

Thanks for the scoops on the nail polish. I like the China Glaze and of course Essie but I have no patience for getting my nails painted AND I seem to have an allergy. My nails peel after about 2 weeks.

Karen

foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 1:24am
mine do the same, i use CG ridge filler as a base coat to give me a smooth surface, help the polish "stick" and prevent peeling.

also, if your polish remover is too harsh, or you don`t wear gloves when having hands in water for extended periods [or using harsh chemicals] that also adds to peeling.

my nails peel if i use cleaners, or regular base coat.

trix
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 2:37am
Wow Karen and Foxy!

Almost 30 and around 40 - listen up you young whipper snappers - there is hope. I`m 50, and a half!!!

Interestingly I`m the only woman I know who has never had a yeast infection. I also really eat sugar in an abusive manner (I`m trying to get on top of that). I really hope some of the better minds around someday figure out some of these connections.

Sounds like you two have really been through a ringer of health mysteries. If it`s any consolation sometimes it gets better after the peri-menopausal stage (realizing that`s not something Fox needs to worry about right now.

Ah well - later...gabi
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 10:19am

Wow Karen and Foxy!

Almost 30 and around 40 - listen up you young whipper snappers - there is hope. I'm 50, and a half!!!

Interestingly I'm the only woman I know who has never had a yeast infection. I also really eat sugar in an abusive manner (I'm trying to get on top of that). I really hope some of the better minds around someday figure out some of these connections.

Sounds like you two have really been through a ringer of health mysteries. If it's any consolation sometimes it gets better after the peri-menopausal stage (realizing that's not something Fox needs to worry about right now.

Ah well - later...gabi

I get a YI if I look at colored toilet paper wrong...altho since i started doing the agrisept/diatomasious earth thing i haven`t gotten one in forever.

and the women in my family start going thru the early stages of menopause in their early 30s....

here we go!
t
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 10:21am
btw gabi i wanted to let you know i crack up at some of your responses on these boards.

trix
Waggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 4:20pm
:D - why thank you - and remember - Emu`s for cracks...gabi
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 5:08pm
LMAO -- yeah i guess it is.... healed up the cracks on my feet pretty good lol!!

trix
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 9:58pm

Wow Karen and Foxy!

Almost 30 and around 40 - listen up you young whipper snappers - there is hope. I'm 50, and a half!!!

Interestingly I'm the only woman I know who has never had a yeast infection. I also really eat sugar in an abusive manner (I'm trying to get on top of that). I really hope some of the better minds around someday figure out some of these connections.

Sounds like you two have really been through a ringer of health mysteries. If it's any consolation sometimes it gets better after the peri-menopausal stage (realizing that's not something Fox needs to worry about right now.

Ah well - later...gabi

Hi Waggy,

I have to clarify. I left the 40s in my rearview mirror. I am about to be full blown into the 50s. Eeck. :-( So I am not really a "whipper snapper" LOL but I like the thought.

Best wishes,
Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic