Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shea vs Kokum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shea vs Kokum
    Posted: January 09 2002 at 1:01am
My personal opinion.... shea is used more due to affordability and sunscreen properties (spprox spf 9)....(kokum is 3x more expensive). Out of all of the butters that I have had experience with these two are my favorite.

Kokum Butter, Refined (Garcinia Indica) Kokum butter is obtained from the fruit of the Garcina indica tree grown in India. It has a triglyceride composition that is uniform and consist of up to 80% stearic-oleic-stearic (SOS) triglycerides. Kokum butter has excellent emollient properties and high oxidative stability, which assists emulsion integrity. It is a solid, stable hard butter, which melts on contact with skin. Prevents skin dryness and said to reduce the development of wrinkles. Reduces degeneration of skin cells and restores flexibility to the skin. An aromatic, Ayurvedic balm to soothe and nourish dry, sensitive skin. Kokum butter is rich in essential fatty acids (EFAs) that aid in cell oxygenation, help make vitamins and minerals more available to tissues and keep skin healthy and strong. This creamy balm is also enriched with stimulating, antioxidant and tonic herbs to help enhance circulation and enliven stressed skin.

Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii) Shea butter is solid and comes from the natural fat obtained from the karite tree grown in West and Central Africa. Often referred to as karite butter. Shea butter is an emollient. It is extremely therapeutic, helping to heal cracked, aged and damaged skin. Its chemical constituents help to heal bruising and soreness. Shea butter penetrates the skin and leaves it feeling soft and smooth. It has vitamin A, E and is highly compatible with skin. Shea butter has a high content of unsaponifiables and cinnamic esters, which have antimicrobial and moisturizing properties and provide protection from the UV rays of the sun. Unsaponifiables are a large group of compounds called plant steroids or sterolins. They soften the skin, have superior moisturizing effect on the upper layer of the skin and reduce scars. Shea butter is expeller pressed without use of solvents, making a lipid suitable for soaps, cosmetics and toiletries. Shea butter is renowned for is skin softening and moisture retaining ability. It melts at skin temperatures.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 4:29am
Hi Trix

I have tried Shea Butter and do like it a lot. A rolfer I used to go to back in St. Louis many years ago used Shea Butter as his moisturizer of choice. He would get a huge stick of shea butter and break a little off and melt it in his hands and then go to work. The aroma was heavenly and it did not feel super heavy.

I do not know much about kokum although you were not the first to mention that sometimes it smells a little strange.

Thanks for all the info. It is wildly informative. :-)

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:12pm
i do the same with the shea :)

kokum smells strange if you don`t get refined. Then again so does shea.

unrefined shea not only has a smell, it`s also grainy.

Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic