Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheat Germ Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheat Germ Oil
    Posted: January 12 2002 at 11:16pm
i`ve used it on my lizard legs. lol

the smell is definitely a turn off tho.... if you put it in the fridge you can extend the shelf life with out cutting the oil with another.

that is somewhat of a misnomer tho, because the shelflife of the mix is determined by the shelf life of the oils. if you have one oil that is 6 months, and one that is 2 yrs...the mix shelf life is 6 months.

trix
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2002 at 4:39am
Allow me to do my 411 on wheat germ oil. I have been experimenting with if for my hair and oil for the past few months.

I first was intriqued by this particular oil because it is reported that it takes an average of 28 pounds of wheat germ to produce one quart of oil. The other thing that caught my eye was the color. Some wheat germ oils have various shades of red. The odor is also quite strong. If you love wheat germ it is great. If not, well you might want to go with a different oil that is not as aromatic.

Wheat germ oil is high in lecithin, vitamins A, D and E. The beauty of Vit E is that it is anatural preservatie.

Wheat germ oil also is known to help muscle and lymph functions and is excellent for dry and aging hair and skin.

I find it to be great for dry skin patches and for dry parts of my scalp. I don`t love the aroma but I like the benefits. The shelf life of pure wheat germ oil is about 6-8 months so it is very important to store it out of heat and light to stretch the life of this product. I buy my wheat germ oil at a local Dallas health food store.

An aromatherapist told me that if you mix pure wheat germ oil with other essential oils and another base oil like almond or sesame you can extend the shelf life up to 12 months. I did mix 1 part almond to 1 part wheat germ and added some peppermint. It definitely was a good experiment and lessoned the wheat germ oil strong aroma.

Would love to hear if any of you have played with wheat germ oil and what you experienced.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic