Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Karen What Do Recommend For Dallas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GloryGirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen What Do Recommend For Dallas?
    Posted: January 12 2002 at 12:48am
I will be in Dallas for business and I was wondering what alternative shops you recommend for oils, herbs and etc.? I heard you were a native of Dallas so I am hoping you can tell me all about all the little stores. Any good restaurant recommendations?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 1:57am
Originally posted by GloryGirl GloryGirl wrote:

I will be in Dallas for business and I was wondering what alternative shops you recommend for oils, herbs and etc.? I heard you were a native of Dallas so I am hoping you can tell me all about all the little stores. Any good restaurant recommendations?

Hi GloryGirl,

Although I have lived in Dallas 20 years, I grew up in the Midwest. I was born in St. Louis, Missouri & lived there (Bishop DuBourg High School - if you are from St. Louis you will want to know that tidbit) until I moved to Dallas for my business. I adore living in Dallas and doubt that I will ever leave although I would seriously consider living in NYC which is another place I dearly love.

Dallas has some great places for alternative supplies.

Alpha Essentials in North Dallas www.alphaessentials.com is located adjunct to a very large Whole Foods Market. The store has aromatheraphy oils & books & candles & herbs & all kinds of related goodies. It is located at 101 S. Coit Rd #349 (214-575-8300).

There is also a Starbucks nearby and a Borders Books right near with a good alternative health selection.

Overtones is in the same general part of North Dallas as Alpha Essentials. Overtones has candles, some essential oils, alternative books, tapes & lots of gorgeous gemstone jewelry & dreamcatchers. Sometimes psychics are available for instant readings & they have psychic fairs from time to time.

The Constellation is an astrology bookstore that sells candles & jewelry and some essential oils along with crystals and incense. Very good selection of tarot cards, metaphysical books & books on alternative healing, aromatherapy & herbs. The Constellation is also in North Dallas near the Tollway & Belt Line road. Across the street from the Constellation is The Blue Mesa Grill which has good Tex/Mex. Glorias is in the same area and it is Salvadorian food w/ a twist of Tex-Mex.

Years To Your Health located on the web at: http://www.yearstoyourhealth.com
503 E. 2nd Street
Irving, Texas 75060
972-579-7042

Years is a cool store with hundreds of herbs, essentials oils, books, Reiki workers, vitamins. Lots of great finds. This store is in the old Irving area.

Talking about food in Dallas is a major undertaking so email me with specific interests & I will be happy to help point you. I can tell you that the nicest & best informed bartender in Dallas (IMO) is Charlie at Morton`s in Addison on Midway Road. If you stop by tell him that that folks at HairBoutique.com sent ya.

You picked a great time to visit Dallas. We have mild Winters but summers get very hot. :-(

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
GodivaFan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GodivaFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 10:23am
I just checked out the Alpha Essentials and Years sites you recommended. They look pretty cool. Thanks for posting the links. I really liked the herb info at Years.
Cyndy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2002 at 5:29pm
Karen,

I don`t know you but I have to say from your posts that you seem to have a great sense of humor and I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for the chuckles.

Cyndy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2002 at 1:59am
Hi Cyndy,

I think being funny saves me from being totally nuts and with my crazy life that says a lot. :-) Thanks for your kind compliments and for your posts. I hope you will come back and see us here on this board.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Manny View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 8:55pm
Hi Karen,

Thank you for the info on Dallas. I live in LA but get to Dallas on a regular business and I have already printed out your list of herb/alternative shops. However, I am dying to know what you fav restaurant is. I have eaten at many different places but as a pseudo native I would imagine you have some favs.

Manny
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2002 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Manny Manny wrote:

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the info on Dallas. I live in LA but get to Dallas on a regular business and I have already printed out your list of herb/alternative shops. However, I am dying to know what you fav restaurant is. I have eaten at many different places but as a pseudo native I would imagine you have some favs.

Manny

Hi Manny,

Well I bet our traffic is better than in LA. :-)

The Mansion on Turtle Creek and the French Room still hold the titles of "best of the best" in Dallas from a very formal, major 4 1/2 to 5 stars types of restauarnt ratings. I like both restaurants but frankly I have gotten out of the mode of wanting to "get dressed for dinner" so I don`t get to either restaurant very often anymore. The Mansion has a fabulous Sunday brunch and I highly recommend it. If you go to the Mansion tell Kent, the wine steward that I sent you. He is brilliant and knows his wines. You need to put on your Sunday best dress for either place. So that is one consideration.

I think my current favorite is Abacus. I personally love the chef, Kent Rathburn, and I have followed his incredible cooking to several restaurants in town. Also, Max and Jeff are the managers and they are both really great. The food is unbelievably exotic. Think about it...lobster shooters in saki and amazing Oriental meets American cuisine offerings. It will make your head spin off.

I also really enjoy Morton`s on Addison Road. Maybe I love it because Rick the chef does a great job with steaks, Charlie is great in the bar and Mick & Jodi are wonderful managers Or it could be because they have my photo up in the restaurant as a Dallas celebrity. LOL. Hey, I can definitely be bribed. :-)

You will need reservations at all of the restaurants I have mentioned.

Please email me privately at shelton@hairboutique.com if I can help with other suggestions. I am sure the folks here are not interested in restaurants in Dallas. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen

Celia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 3:01am
Hi Karen,

I am from Atlanta. Is Kent Rathburn related to Kevin?

I ate at the Mansion on a business trip and it was stunning. I saw Sharon Stone at a table not far from me and about fainted. Great food too but thank goodness I was on a business account. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2002 at 4:00am
Hi Celia,

They are brothers and both wonderful chefs. Can you imagine the family gatherings? :-)

Karen
Thomas View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2002 at 11:35pm
Hi Karen,

I know this thread is not specifically hair related but I like it because it gives the site a small and friendly town feeling. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic