Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home Made Treatments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Made Treatments
    Posted: February 08 2002 at 8:05am
While surfing the web recently, I came across these home made treatments collected by Fia at the Long Hair Lovers site and thought I would pass them along to anyone that would be interested. I am familiar with a couple but not all of them. They at least SOUND interesting. Have fun! ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------

3 tbsp olive oil
20 drops essential rosemary oil

For shine and growth

3 tbsp olive oil
1 finely chopped medium sized root of parsnip
1/2 tsp crushed seeds of parsnip

Boil for five minutes and strain. Adds shine and stimulates growth.

1-2 whipped eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp glycerine

Massage into washed hair. Leave at least 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Adds moisture and shine.

1 tbsp lanolin
1 tbsp castor oil
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp castille soap
1 tbsp glycerine
2 tbsp water
2 tsp egg yolk
1 whole egg
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
60-90 drops of essential oil of choice (for benefits or scent)

Melt the lanolin in a bain marie and mix with the oils. Mix in soap, glycerine and water. Use electric mixer on low speed until thickened. Add egg and egg yolk and use electric mixer on high speed. Add vinegar and essential oil. Massage into washed hair. Leave at least 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Adds moisture and shine.

3.5 oz sweet almond oil
40-60 drops of essential oil of choice (for benefits or scent)
3-7 oz plain yoghurt

Mix the oils and warm slightly. Massage into hair and scalp. Cover with warm towel. If needed use hair dryer to add more heat. Leave for two hours. Add the yoghurt to hair and scalp. Leave for an additional half an hour. Rinse. Adds moisture and protein.

1 ripe avocado
2 tsp carrot or marigold oil

Mash the avocado and mix with the oil. Massage into scalp and hair. Leave for one hours. Rinse with water/lemon mix. Good for dry and damaged hair.

4.25 oz olive oil
1 whole egg
pinch of salt
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp honey

Use electric mixer on high speed to mix (will produce mayo-like concoction). Massage into dry hair and leave for one hour. Rinse with cold water. Adds protein and shine.

1 ripe banana
2 tsp grape seed oil

Mash the banana and mix with oil. Massage into scalp and hair. Cover with Saran wrap. Leave for 30 minutes. Rinse with water/lemon mix. Good for dry hair.

3.5 oz apple cider vinegar or unsweetened apple juice
40-60 drops of essential thyme oil

Mix vinegar/juice and oil. Massage into scalp and leave for five minutes. Rinse and shampoo. Adds shine and combats dandruff.

8.5 oz red wine
2 tbsp dried sage
Kaolin clay
1 egg yolk

Heat wine with sage in. Let cool off and strain. Warm slightly and mix with kaolin to a batter like consistency. Let cool off again and mix with egg yolk. Work into hair and wrap in Saran wrap. Leave 30 minutes to one hour. Will give hair a chestnut color, stronger if mixed with black tea.

Henna powder mixed with ground rhubarb root - produces more yellow tones

Henna powder mixed with pulverized tea leaves - produces more brown tones

Henna powder mixed with finely ground coffee - produces deeper red tones

Henna powder mixed with indigo or ultramarine powder - produces more dark brown tones (some very dark)

Henna mixed with water - for normal coloring of chosen mix

Henna mixed with lemon juice or yoghurt - intensified color of chosen mix

Henna mixed with red wine - more pronounced chestnut in chosen mix

Henna mixed with strong chamomile tea - more pronounced yellow in chosen mix

Development time from 30 minutes to 4 hours. Shorter development time pronounces yellow tones.
Merlin
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2002 at 9:47am
A few more recipes I found while browsing a book I just got:

Hair Conditioner

Mix 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. (Use 2 tablespoons oil for normal hair.) Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Remove shower cap; shampoo well and rinse. Dry as normal.

Deep Conditioner
Avocados contain vitamin B6 & vitamin E

Ingredients:
1 small jar of real mayonnaise
1/2 of an avocado

Directions:

Put together in a medium bowl and squish together with your hands until it`s a minty green color. Smooth into hair all the way to the tips. Put on a shower cap or wrap your head with saran wrap.

Leave on for 20 minutes. For deeper conditioning put a hot, damp towel around your head -over the saran wrap. And if you have really long hair and only need deep conditioning at the ends, cut the ingredients in half and apply only to the ends and just wrap them.

Special Note: Make sure the mayonaisse is real mayo and NOT salad dressing. It will dry your hair out.

Tropical Conditioner

Ingredients:
1 avocado (peeled and mashed)
coconut milk

Directions:

Combine mashed avacodo with some coconut milk. Mash together until its smooth and about as thick as shampoo. Comb it through the hair and let sit for 10 -15 minutes, wash out.

Merlin
Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2002 at 5:43pm
Thanks so much for posting all of those recipes! I can hardly wait to try them out. If anyone else uses these, let us know how they rate.

Traci
A wish is a desire without any attempt to attain its end.
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2002 at 10:31am
Hi Traci

Glad to pass on interesting tidbits. I have done the honey and olive oil treatment for dry hair and always gotten good results. That success has sent me looking for other kitchen recipes for hair. I haven`t tried them all yet (not enough brave clients) but they at least sound good.

In case you are feeling especially adventursome, here are several more to consider. If you do try some, let me know your results.

Have fun! ;)

Conditioners:
Egg Conditioner
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
Beat egg yolk until it is thick and light colored. Slowly drizzle drops of oil into egg, beating well. Slowly add and beat the water into the egg mixture. Transfer mixture to a container. After shampooing, massage all conditioner into hair and leave on for a few minutes before thoroughly rinsing.

Protein Conditioner
Beat 1 egg white until foamy. Add to 5 Tbsps plain natural yogurt. Apply to hair in small sections at a time. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Split End Treatments
1) Mix 1 tsp honey with 2 Tbsps olive oil, then beat in 1 egg yolk. Massage on hair in small sections. Wrap head with shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo.

2) Massage hair and scalp with warm avocado or olive oil. Wrap hair securly in a towel. Leave oil on hair about 8 hours or overnight. If left on overnight, put a shower cap over head to avoid staining pillows and bedding. Wash hair, then rinse with a vinegar /water solution.

Hot Oil Treatment
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup boiling water
Place olive oil and boiling water into large glass bottle or jar with a lid. You may need to wrap a towel around the bottle to avoid burning yourself. Shake very well until oil is emulsified. Massage into hair, taking care not to burn your head. Put a shower cap or plastic bag over your hair and wrap your head in a hot towel that has been soaked in hot water then wrung out. Leave mixture on your hair for 1/2 hour, then shampoo as usual

Mayonnaise Conditioner
To recondition the hair, shampoo hair with homemade shampoo or a shampoo from the natural foods store. Rinse and towel dry. Apply regular mayonnaise (not salad dressing) to the hair. Massage in. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, shampoo again lightly and rinse with an apple cider vinegar and water solution.

Mint Rinse
Boil:
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 handful of fresh mint leaves
Strain and pour into a container. With fingertips, massage solution into the scalp, let dry without rinsing out.

Soothing Herbal Hair Rinse
Combine equal parts of dried rosemary, comfrey, witch hazel leaves and nettles to make about 1/2 cup. Add to 2 cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep overnight. Strain. Shampoo and rinse hair then use herb tea for a final rinse to relieve itchy, flaky scalp.

Hair Coloring
Herb, Fruit & Vegetable Rinses for Color and Highlights
These rinses work over a period of time to subtlely color and add highlights to the hair. First wash and rinse hair, then pour any of these rinses over the hair 15 times catching the excess in a bowl or the bathroom basin as it runs off the hair, then pouring it over the hair again.
For Brunettes
1) Cook an unpeeled potato in boiling water. Cool slighly. Dip a pastry brush or cotton ball in the cooking water, cover and saturate hair, being careful not to get any on skin. Leave on hair for 20 minutes then rinse out.

2) Make an strong infusion of any of the following herbs and teas then use as a rinse:
Rosemary
Sage
Raspberry leaves
Parsley
Ivy Berries
Catnip
Black coffee
Black Tea (for chestnut highlights).

For Blondes
1) Marigold gives golden highlights to light hair and brings out red and gold highlights in light brown and red hair. Saffron, tumeric, calendula, mullein, privet and yellow broom in addition to any yellow blossomed herb or flower also add color and highlights for blondes.

2) Rinse hair with a solution of 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to one gallon of water after shampooing.

3) To restore hair that was once blonde, mix 10 grams of licorice root with 10 grams of oat straw, add a pinch of saffron. Cover with water and boil to make an infusion. Strain and use a s a rinse after shampooing. It should be allowed to soak into the hair and NOT rinsed out.

4) To bring out highlights and lighten blonde hair, steep 1/2 cup of camomile tea in one quart of boiling water . Strain and cool slighyly. Shampoo hair until oil free, then rinse with the tea infusion.

5) Add 4 tablespoons of chopped rhubarb to 3 cups of hot water, simmer for 15 minutes. Strain, cool, then use as a rinse after shampooing.

For Redheads
1) Use strong black coffee as a final rinse

2) Use a strong rosehips tea

3) Make a decotion of red hibiscus tea, use as a rinse

4) Make a rinse from calendula

5) Use an infusion of saffron for a rinse.

For Grey Hair
1) Potatoes: Boil potato peels in water, strain, and cool. Use the strained water as an after-shampoo rinse to darken grey hair

2) Sage covers the grey when used consistently over a period of time. Simmer 1/2 cup dried sage in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes. Steep for 2-3 hours. Strain, use as rinse on clean hair. Leave on until hair has dried, then rinse out.

3) Mix 1 oz. sage, 1oz. rosemary and 1 pint of water. Simmer for 30 minutes and strain. Massage into the scalp and grey hair.

4) Mix 1 tablespoon of apple-cidar vinegar with one gallon of warm water, use as final rinse.

5) Use an infusion of hollyhock (blue-purple flowers) to remove the yellow cast from grey hair.

6) Use betony as a rinse to cover yellow in grey hair.

For All Hair Colors
Make an infusion of any of the following for color, conditioning, highlights and shine:
Catnip: Make a rinse of catnip and water to promote hair growth and shine.
Nettle
Parsley
Rosemary: good as a hair tonic for thinning hair and dandruff and to stimulate hair growth.
Thyme: makes a great stimulating shampoo.
Yarrow: Use a yarrow rinse for mild cases of dandruff.

Hair Spray
Chop 2 lemons, add 2 cups water, simmer in a pan over low heat until lemons are quite soft. Cool, then strain through cheesecloth. Pour into a spray bottle, add 1 Tbsp vodka, shake. Dilute with water if too sticky.

Shampoos:
Nana`s Egg Shampoo
1 large egg separated
3 Tbsp castile soap
In a bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Blend in yolk followed by the castile soap. Wet hair with warm water. Massage half the egg shampoo into scalp. Rinse well then massage remaining shampoo into scalp. Leave on hair about 1 min. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Egg Shampoo #2
1 egg
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp castile soap
1/2 cup water or herbal tea
Drop of fragrant essential oil of your choice (optional)
Combine all in blender and whip until smooth. Shampoo with mixture using warm, not hot water for the shampoo and rinse. Store any remaining shampoo in the refrigerator for use the next day.

Herbal Shampoo
1/4 cup of your favorite herbal tea, strongly brewed
8 oz liquid castile soap
Add soap to tea. Stir over low heat until well blended. Store in a capped bottle.
Merlin
Cali View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2002 at 5:23pm
Here`s 1 that I did.

Mercado Conditioner
1 avocado
some mayonnaise
some olive oil
1 egg

peel the avocado and throw it along with the other ingredients into a blender. Mix on high or low speed(if u have the patience) until u have a creamy green mixture. You can use a portion and save the rest in a container but be sure to keep it refrigerated. Apply through hair. Leave on for a 1/2 hr. Hair will feel sticky , gooey, and yucky!
Shampoo with cool or warm water.(note* if you use hot water you will have scrambled eggs in your hair*)

Oh yea! Is it bad to use the whole egg? What is the best part of the egg to use? the egg or the yolk?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2002 at 11:35am
I usually use the whole egg (most of the recipes I have call for the whole egg) but sometimes just the whites are called for. I think most of the protein would be in the yolk.

A friend brought me these recipes. I haven`t tried them but she says they work great for her.

AVOCADO :

Rich in : Natural oil, protein and vitamins A and B. Avocados also contain lecithin, a protein which is excellent for conditioning dry and damaged hair .

Use: A conditioning hair pack for dry and sun damaged hair.

Mash up the flesh of an over ripe avocado , with an egg white. Add a dash of lemon juice to stop the avocado turning black and work the pulp into towel-dried hair. Wrap a towel around your hair and leave for at least half an hour. Wash out well with a mild shampoo.

**Just-used avocado skins make excellent moisturing treatments for dry, rough elbows. Rub the hollow side of one half of an avocado onto each elbow, leave it as long as possible before you wash the area.**

CASTOR OIL AND GLYCERINE CONDITIONER

Mix 1 egg, 2 tbs castor oil, 1 tsp vinegar and 1 tsp glycerine. Beat until frothy and massage lightly into your scalp. Wrap your head in a hot towel, steam, then wash off. This conditioner makes hair thicker, shiny, soft and manageable.

HONEY CONDITIONER

Beat 1-2 eggs (depending on the length of the hair), 1 tsp honey and 2 tsp olive oil. Massage gently into the scalp. Steam (wrap with a hot damp towel) and shampoo after an hour.

BEAUTY DRINK

Drink a glass of carrot juice to which the juice of one lime has been added along with a tablespoon of brewer`s yeast mixed into it daily (damaged hair should see a difference in a week`s time). This is a drink rich in vitamin A, C, and B complex. Brewers yeast is the natural and best form of B complex.

DEEP CONDITIONER
For lackluster dry hair : 2 eggs, 1 tbsp castor oil. 1 tbsp. glycerine, 1 tsp malt vinegar, 1 tsp coconut. Apply after initial shampoo. Wash out after 1/2 an hour.
Merlin
Jeannie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2002 at 5:01pm
My aunt taught me years ago to use the essential oil of Rosemary in a lot of different recipes because Rosemary is one of the essential oils that will help to strengthen hair. My aunt taught me that one thing you can do is to mix rosemary essential oil with beer, dark beer, stout or similar and get a great rinse. I mix 4 droups of Rosemary with a dark ale that is room temp. I let the mixture sit over night. After I shampoo but before I rinse I pour this mix over my hair. I use a bowl to catch the mix so that it doesn`t go down the drain and I can pour it over and over my hair many times.

I will often gently use the pads of my fingertips to massage the mixture into my scalp because rosemary will help to strengthen hair. I then rinse well and follow with my cool final rinse. The downside is that you may have a slight "beer" aroma to your hair but I like the aroma so no biggie there.

Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2002 at 5:51pm
Doesn`t using eggs dry out your hair? I heard that they can be drying, even with other moisturizing ingredients?

Thoughts?
Charlie
cALI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cALI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2002 at 7:44pm
i DONT think eggs dry your hair out. Not that I know much about them anyway...

What are the benefits of using rosemary oil in the hair? Is it expensive?
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2002 at 10:36am
Eggs are not drying to the hair. They contain lecithin which helps to moisturize dry hair. Before your next shampoo, beat an egg & apply it to your dry hair & cover with a plastic bag for 15 minutes or so (body heat intensifies conditioning) then rinse off totally with COLD water. If the water is too warm it will cook the egg. Not a good thing and hard to get out.

Olive oil is a good conditioner too. Just massage onto hair & leave it for 10 minutes before shampoo.

Merlin
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2002 at 10:50am
I forgot to answer the question about Rosemary oil. Here is what my herbal book says:

"The component terpineol found in the essential oil of rosemary leaves will stimulate circulation in your scalp, strengthen the roots of your hair and generally promote healthy hair growth. The stimulating effect alleviates hair and scalp problems and prevents damage. "

Misty Mountain has a very good Lavender-Rosemary shampoo and conditioner. (Lavender is a very good cleansing agent and it smells great too!)

http://www.mistymountain.cc/index.html

Lavender-Rosemary Shampoo 8 oz.
Item Price:$ 7.00
Lavender-Rosemary developed for normal hair, to maintain shine and health. The fragrance of Lavender & Rosemary oils freshens and cleans the scalp, gives your hair manageability.

Merlin
Connie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2002 at 4:58am
Thank you for all the info on Rosemary.

I have had great luck with Weleda`s Rosemary shampoo that you can buy at most health food stores and you can also buy at HairBoutique at:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?prodID=905

I also love the Paul Penders version. I have used both products off and on for years. Paul Penders is harder to find in health food stores but you can buy it here at HairBoutique.com at:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=230

Thanks for all the info you provide Merlin.

Connie
Margo Keys View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Keys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2002 at 6:13am
Check out my recent find:

Rosemary Soap that is incredible:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=1372
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2002 at 4:31pm
Hi....

More on Rosemary.................

Rosemary is one of the few herbs that can be eaten as well as used as a cosmetic for the body, face and hair. It works well as an herb or an oil.

Rosemary is known to help darken gray hair over time (although not obvious for a long time) and it is considered to be a stimulant for the roots and the scalp.

Rumored to help grow hair faster & prevent pre-mature baldness (no scientific evidence to that at this point) it is also good for knocking out dandruff.

If you have blonde or light colored hair you may NOT want to try this recipe as it may darken your hair.

Anti-dandruff Shampoo Recipe

Rosemary works well to help with itchy scalps and for relieving dandruff.

Glass pots work best for this recipe.

1 cup of dried rosemary leaves (not stalks or other part of the rosemary) Use more or less rosemary according to personal tastes.
1 tablespoon of borax
1 quart of boiling water
10-20 Drops of Camphor

Place the dried rosemary leaves in the boiling water on a stove or heater. Bring to a boil, turn off and then steep in the pot for 6 hours. You can steep less time but the longer you steep the more concentrated the results.

Right before use add 10-20 drops of liquid camphor. You may want to start slowly since camphor can really blast open your sinuses and can make your eyes water if you inhale too much.

Store the mixture in a dark amber glass in the refrigerator. Heat just enough for your treatment. This will probably last 1 week or more. You can tell by smell.

Use a cotton ball and dip into a small cup of the liquid and saturate your itchy scalp or root area. If you prefer, wrap your hair in a plastic cup and let soap for 30 minutes.

The Rosemary scalp tonic can be applied every day or as desired. To darken hair you will need to apply as an overall rinse 3x a week.

I like to play with these types of recipes in the bathtub because it makes them so less messy. Also, rosemary is good for your skin so if it drinks into your bath water...no big deal.

The Rosemary can also be used an an all over final rinse. Use a plastic bowl to catch the liquid as it falls so you can rinse several times.

Facials

Add 1 tablespoon of the rosemary liquid formula to any facial. It helps with stimulating blood flow and circulation.

OR

Mix one tablespoon of rosemary with fresh yogurt and slather on your face as a yogurt/rosemary facial. The yogurt tightens the pore and the rosemary will add stimulation.

DO NOT USE this recipe on your face if you have roscea or other proneness to outbreaks. It can bring the blood to the surface and cause a rosecea reaction.

Body Treatment

You can pour the rosemary formula into your bath. It will help to add cirulation to tired muscles.

With White Wine

You can also simmer a handful of dried rosemary leave in a pint of white wine for 20 minutes. Strain out leaves and then splash on the body as a stimulating body wash. It will give you an instant refreshing wake-up call.

More rosemary recipes to follow.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2002 at 4:43pm
Hi all,

I thought I would add the Honey/Rosemary recipe here since we are on a Rosemary topic. This recipe can be used for hair or skin.

Honey is an all natural moisturizer & emollient. It is wonderful for softening the skin & the hair. Yes, it is extremely messy but if done correctly it works wonders for softening and removing dryness.

For The Face

To use as a face cleanser & softener keep a squirt bottle of honey near your shower. (I love the little honey bottles in the bears). After your face is completely wet, squirt a tiny blob of honey into your fingers and massage into your face. Let the honey soak into your warm skin for 3-5 minutes and then rinse. You will notice a definite softening of fine lines and dry patches. Honey creates a silky finish. Be careful not to get honey near your hair as it will get sticky and tangled.

Honey On Your Hair

Honey can be used a softening agent. It is very messy & sticky so if you are going to try it, apply the honey to your hair in the shower after you have first wet your hair.

Do not shampoo first, just wet your hair w/ warm water. Squeeze excess water out and then apply the honey to your ends and dry middle hair.

Leave on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse out. You can follow with a moiturizing shampoo and rinse out conditioner.

Rosemary/Honey Facial

Honey is a natural moisturizer and emollient. Rosemary is toning to the skin as is rose petals.

1/2 cup of honey
1 small handful of rosemary herbs or rosemary flowers (your choice)
Note: You can also substitue a few drops of rosemary essential oil.
1 small handful of rose petals (optional) or rose oil.

Mix the honey and the herbs and rose petals together. Store in a tight container w/ a lid in a warm dark place for 2-3 weeks.

Place the jar in a double boiler to gently heat. Use clean fingers to apply to newly washed skin on your face. The honey will feel tacky which is very good. This means that it is stimulating circulation. Be careful to avoid the eye area. Leave on the skin for 15-20 minutes.

Rinse well. Apply the moisturizer of your choice.

Best wishes,
Karen

PS.

If you want to "cheat" a little but still get the effect of Rosemary you can try Weleda`s Rosemary hair or bath oils. They are excellent.

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=406
http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=902

Burt`s Bees also has a new Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar that is made with natural ingredients and has a good chunk of tingling rosemary.

http://mp.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ProdID=1120
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
GloryGirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2002 at 12:08am
Awesome. Thanks. I am really getting into all this Rosemary stuff. :-)
Selah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 3:38am
Here are some recipes that I have been saving forever.

Either I or my friends have tried all of these with good to great results for our hair.

Recipe For Oily Hair

12 fresh or frozen stawberries
Juice of 1 whole lemon (Real Lemon juice does not work as well although you can use in a pinch). Do not use on normal or dry hair since lemon can be drying.

Mix strawberries and lemon juice together in a blender until pureed.

Comb mixture evenly through scalp and hair, leaving on for 15-30 minutes.

Rinse, and shampoo thoroughly.

Dry Hair Recipe

1/2 banana
1 very ripe avocado, peeled with the pit removed
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 cup of honey (molasses is an optional substitue)
5 drops of coconut oil

Mix ingredients in a blender until a rich cream is formed. Massage the mix into your scalp and hair, working through to the ends. This can be messy and is best applied in a bathtub or show or with old towels to avoid stains.

Cover your head with plastic shower cap or Saran wrap. Place a hot wet towel over the plastic.

Leave on for 20-30 minutes. Rinse & then shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo.

Recipe For Dull Hair

Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
1/4 papaya, peeled
1 can of seltzer or club soda

Blend lemon juice and papaya together. Massage into hair.

For extra shine, leave on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with seltzer or club soda.

Recipe For Fine or Limp Hair:

3 cups of brewed sage tea cooled to room temperature
(Sage tea is available in health food stores)

Shampoo hair as usual. Rinse clean. Before getting out of the shower, pour sage tea over scalp, and work through hair. Use a plastic bowl to catch the liquid and pour it over the hair as many times as possible.

For maximum body allow the hair to "brew" for 5 to 10 minutes before final rinsing with cool water.

It is always good to do a final rinse with cool/cold water to add shine.
Selah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 4:17am
And also.....here is a recipe that is supposed to help hair grow. No proof but it is supposed to stimulate growth because of the various oils that are used.

This recipe is taken from a book that is "Aromatherapy for Mind & Body", by David & Carol Schiller which is a great book I found in a Used Books store.

Make A Base of:

2 Tablespoons Shea Butter
8 teaspoons jojoba oil

To this base add one of the following essential oil combinations (all of these oils are known to promote hair growth):
20 drops sandalwood
20 drops bois de rose (rosewood)

20 drops lavender
20 drops cedarwood (Atlas)

15 drops rosemary
15 drops lavender
10 drops myrrh

17 drops ylang-ylang
17 drops lemon
6 drops ginger

Katie Anne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 4:29am
Can you recommend where to buy shea butter online?
Karen Marie Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Marie Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2003 at 9:19am
A good place for shea butter online is:

www.ebenenaturals.com

Thanks for all the great recipes.

Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic