Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Cream Treatment by VO5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ballet dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Cream Treatment by VO5
    Posted: March 01 2002 at 10:40pm
Has anybody tried Alberto VO5 Hot Cream Treatment?

http://www.ulta.com/cgi-bin/ulta/ulta/catalog_detail.jsp?SKUID=329816
Go for it change is good. :)
KatieKurly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieKurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2002 at 2:13am
Unfortunately I have tried the various VO5 and related "hot oils" in the past (including this cream version) but saddly, to me, they just don`t have the same "all natural healthy" properties as the pure oils IMO.

The VO5s and other commerical "hot oil hair treatments" have other chemicals added to them. Which could be actually bad since heat helps the oil to penetrate and thus those chemicals are potentially penetrating into your hair cuticle as well.

Again, IMO, I just think if you want max benefit from oils you need to go with the hard core oils like Olive and Sesame. Yes, they are messier and don`t come contained in easy to use vials, but they seem to work so much better.

I realize that I am a rebel here but I find that I get such a dramatic difference when I use the real ingredients & I have become really concerned about adding any chemicals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2002 at 1:22pm
Which oils work best for dry hair?

Any recipes?

Where do I find these oils?

>Again, IMO, I just think if you want max benefit from oils you need to go with the hard core oils like Olive and Sesame. Yes, they are messier and don`t come contained in easy to use vials, but they seem to work so much better.
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2002 at 1:43pm
There a number of recipes on this discussion board. Look on this board for BEST HOT OIL FOR HAIR. Karen has some articles on her favorite oils too. Go the LONG HAIR SUPPORT board and look at the message "response to oiling question!" by amykitten - she details her oiling routine. I personally like extra virgin olive oil, jojoba, sesame, and monoi oil. You can usually get very good ones at a local health food store or on the Internet.

Here is a recipe you might start with. Budokan posted it, I tried it and got very good results on dry hair.

2 eggs
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup oil (this can be extra virgin olive, sesame, soybean, almond, monoi...what ever you like)

Throw a towel into the clothes dryer to heat up while you`re mixing this up...

Separate the whites of the eggs and beat them until they are white and frothy

Mix together the egg yolks, yogurt and oil, then add the egg whites.

Apply to dry hair, and cover with a shower cap or plastic bag, then cover with the warm towel.

Let sit for 45 minutes to an hour

Wash as usual, you will probably find that you won`t need to condition.

Lately, I have been really terrific results with Monoi Oil. Monoi Oil is a light, fractionated coconut oil scented with a variety of aromas, most commonly the Tahitian Gardenia (Tiare Flower). It is extremely moisturizing to hair and skin. Here is one source for it:

http://www.tahiti-iti.com/monoi_oils.htm

I have other recipes for dry hair if you are interested. Give this one a try and consider the Monoi Oil. I think you will see a big difference in your hair.

Good luck ;) and let us know what works for you.
Merlin
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2002 at 11:44pm
Hi Merlin,

Good to see you here.

Unfortunately I agree with KatieKurly about the Vo5 and other commerical oils. I used to use them in the early days but once I tried my first olive oil (castor oil disaster withstanding :-) treatment, I was hooked. I could FEEL the oil working.

Merlin...please if you have time and the inclination post whatever recipes you like because I love to see what you are playing with.

I am going to try and post more of my recipes as well since I have a few "secret" recipes that I use from time to time that work for me and my hair type.

Which is a good point...you always need to take into consideration your hair type. Mine is thick, naturally dry, chemically highlighted and wavy/curly and very long...so old hair. :-)

Here is a good rule of thumb

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a heavier oil, it can be acidic so it is not really recommended for colored hair, but it is very healing for medium to thick, wavy & curly hair. It is great on damaged ends.

Sesame Oil is a much lighter oil. It can be used on colored hair w/out the same risk of color loss like the acidic olive. It works well for thin/fine/straight hair. It is a good carrier oil.

Monoi or straight coconut oil is wonderful. I have been using Monoi myself for about 1 month w/ great results. I also have experiemented with straight coconut oil from Whole Foods. I find that is can be a little heavy for some hair but it is a great healing oil.

Jojoba is closest to the sebum of the human head and is a great healing oil for just about all hair types.

When I am rushed or lazy I used Aveda`s Beautifying Oil which is pricey but works very well for my ends. I can wear the Beautifying Oil all day long as a protective oil. It is not oily at all. I also use it as a "pre-conditioning treatment" before I shower. I have used it for deep conditioning as well. I comb the oil through my hair and then through on a shower cap and viola, deep conditioning.

I also like the Phyto Huile d`Ales on my hair but I get mixed reviews about it from HB.com customers. Some people just love it and buy it all the time, others find it not as good as the real oil. I think this is a personal decision and a need to find what is best for your hair.

I have also tried the Rene Furterer version of the Huile and it is good but if I don`t shampoo well it tends to leave my hair a tad greasy.

Almond oil is a great all purpose oil. It can work for thin to thick hair and it smells wonderful.

I also play with essential oils and when I lost a lot of my hair in the late 80s to an intense diet program that was basically fasting, Basil Oil and Almond Oil brought my hair back. That is one of my secret recipes.

Bottom line, I think that the Vo5 and similar products are OK for the average person who but if you want the top of the line stuff you need to look at the real oils. I can honestly feel them working when I use them.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2002 at 12:20am
Thanks Karen.

I found the Jojoba oil in the marketplace but you are out of stock. Do you know when you`ll get more?

I found a article you wrote on oils.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip175.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2002 at 12:41am
I think of buying the Wise Ways Herbals - 1 oz - Goldilocks Hair Oil in the marketplace how much do you use of this product?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic