Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermal Reconditioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelley View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermal Reconditioning
    Posted: August 26 2002 at 5:36pm
I`m wondering about using Yuko`s thermal reconditioning products on a client taking thyroid meds? Any insight? Will it work or not?
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 8:27pm
how much does it cost? i have a medium wave to my hair and almost to my waist
Tara Jean View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Jean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 9:58am
TR can range in cost from as low as $300 to as much as a $1,000. A lot depends on how long your hair is and what type of TR you have done. The important thing to remember is to spend some upfront time calling to get quotes.

Good Luck.
Suzanna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 7:31pm
I just had it done yesterday, my hair is bone-stick straight, shiny, and soft. It lightened a little, not much. When she went to blow dry it she used her fingers and a blodryer (no big round brushes) it took maybe ten minutes. It's awesome!! My only complaint, it's almost too straight, doesn't have any body. It took three and a half hours and the cost was $375.00 plus tip..
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Suzanna Suzanna wrote:

I just had it done yesterday, my hair is bone-stick straight, shiny, and soft. It lightened a little, not much. When she went to blow dry it she used her fingers and a blodryer (no big round brushes) it took maybe ten minutes. It's awesome!! My only complaint, it's almost too straight, doesn't have any body. It took three and a half hours and the cost was $375.00 plus tip..

how long is your hair? also how curly was your hair before? my hairdresser quoted my 500 or 600 for my hair
Suzanna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 1:09am
My hair was just past my shoulders (about 3 inches), it wasn't curly, just had a lot of waves to it, but extremelly thick and dry and frizzy...

I just washed it for the first time yesterday (you can't wash it for the first three days), I have noticed stubbles all over my scalp (particularly crown area). Turns out she apparently either left the solution on my hair for too long or let it touch my scalp, conclusion my hair is breaking from the scalp.

I'm really bummed about it, it's also not as shinny and it's got frizz towards the bottom. My ends got fried, I had to cut two inches off this morning.

I have to go in tomorow and next week (to the salon) for deep protein treatments so that I don't get any more breakage.

My hair is so flat it has no body. I wish I wouldn't have done this, by the way my stylist was trained at the Yuko Salon in Beverly Hills CA. so that goes to show that you never really know how it will turn out untill you do it.

I have been reading tons on thermal reconditioning for the last two days and have read tons of postings about women all over having bad experiences with TR jobs.

I wish I would have done more research before I had it done..
Theresa Timmons View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theresa Timmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 2:25pm
Hi Suzanna,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am thinking about TR but am still unsure. The one thing that everyone tells me is that the hair is so straight that you can't do anything with it. Do you think this is the case with your hair? What was the salon you went to and who was your stylist. If you don't mind I would love to know since I am shopping salons right now. I think I definitely will stick with a Yuko trained person.

Thanks again for sharing all the info on your TR.
Suzanna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 8:51pm
Theresa,

I went to The European Hair Institute in Costa Mesa California, and Cassie did my hair. They use the Yuko and I-straight systems. I was told she and the other stylists were trained with Yuko themselves.

My hair previously to this was not in bad condition at all. It actually wasn't really curly or anything just had a wave to it, I was tired of spending all the time drying it straight.

To answer your question it is super flat but yet the hair strands are super fried and frizzy. The hair just looks flat because the body is gone, but the strands itself look aweful. I can't do anything with it at all. I can't put it in a ponnytail because it sticks up, I can't put it up in a clip because again it literally sticks up, it looks like the end of a brum stick.

I'm not exagerating, it's in horrible condition. I have several friends who have had this done and their hair do not look like this, I have seen two other stylists for second opinions and they both agreed that my hair is fried. It hasn't even been one week.

I actually went back to the original salon and the stylist and the owner of the salon had the nerve to stand there and tell me my hair looked great, she said I was imagining things, that my hair wasn't fried just a little dry. She didn't even offer a deep treatment, she basically told me to buy a good deep conditioner (Redken Deep Fuel) and advised me to keep it under heat for 10 minutes. I came home and did just that (for 20 minutes to be safe) and how does it look you wonder?? Worst then it did three hours ago. I hate this, I'm so depressed because of it. I had my hair relaxed with lye before and that fried my hair too but honestly it looked 20 times better than it does now.

If there's any advice I can offer you is DON'T DO IT. I sit here and wish I had my slihtly wavy hair to spend an hour blowdrying, at least I could make it look good. It has absolutely no shine, I don't mean this in any offensive way but my hair looks like african american hair after it gets straightened, it's toitally stiff, no shine, no movement. Truly disgusting. DON'T DO IT!!!

There are people who have good experiences with it, but since all the forums I have been visiting this past week I have read more negative then positive experiences about it. You never know how it's going to turn out. It's not worth taking the chance!!

Just to think I'm going to have to live with this for the next nine months at least, untill it grows out and I can cut it off just makes me want to cry.

That is if it doesn't all fall off first.
I really hope you don't have to go through this if you decide to do it, but I do advise agaisn't it.

Good luck whatever you decide!

By the way read this woman's story if you get a chance:
http://forums.baddealings.com/showthread.php?s=9ccc3aca9268b779d4a311a165610368&threadid=1192&goto=nextnewest
Theresa Timmons View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theresa Timmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2003 at 3:25pm
OMG so sorry to hear about your scalp stubbles. Thanks for the link. I am seriously rethinking having TR done and will definitely not take it lightly. Thank you again for all your help and posts. I have learned a tremedous amount.

Theresa
meghangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meghangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 1:29am
To original poster- Why would there be a problem with Thermal Reconditioning if the person has a thyroid problem? I am just curious about this. Did you find any other information on this??

Does anyone know if salons do partial Thermal Reconditioning? I only want the hair along the crown of my hair straightened. It's curly while the rest is wavy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic