Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need a recipe.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a recipe.
    Posted: September 07 2002 at 12:52am
Can someone please give me a recipe for dry hair. My hair is starting to become dry and I`m having a lot of breakage nowdays.

Thanks................Brandi...
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2002 at 10:13am
Hi Brandi

Check out the "Home Made Recipes" from Merlin on this page, there are lots of good recipes for dry hair there. I can personally vouch for the olive oil and honey conditioner - I have gotten very good results with it. I have tried the ones using avacodo and gotten excellent results with them too.

Good luck! ;) Let us know which one(s) you try and how it worked for you.
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2002 at 9:40am
Hi Brandi, I loved the olive oil and honey conditioner that Merlin suggested also, I do this once a week. My only suggestion would be not to use it on dry hair, it is a very thick mixture and was easier to spread on when my hair was wet. On a daily basis I highly recommend using essential oils on your hair, I love Jojoba oil, it penetrates and absorbs into your hairshaft and doesnt just coat it, my hair never looks or feels oily and has a nice shine. If you wash your hair alot, try doing Condition Only washes instead of using Shampoo half the time, I love Loreals Natures Therapy, Redkins So Soft Heavy Butter, Artecs Moisture Pac and Aphogee`s Reconstructive - they are all deep conditioners. When you use shampoo, use moisturizing shampoos. If you must blow dry your hair, use low heat and dry your hair when it is damp not wet and keep the nozzle 6inches from your hair. I personally would stay away from flat irons, I never used one but I have seen alot of girls with dry damaged hair from the extended use of this styling product. I also tried a suggestion from another site that worked great on my hair last night. Glossing Gel Recipe - Mix 3ozs of Pure Aloe Vera Gel with 1oz of Jojoba Oil. When my hair was wet I applied a small amount of Jojoba Oil through my hair and then I applied some of the Glossing Gel throughout my hair. The combination of these two products made my hair very soft and shiney with no frizzies. You will see a big difference in the texture of your hair by keeping it moisturized.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2002 at 11:57am
Dear Brandi

(1) Try Conditioner-only washing (instead of using shampoo)

(2) Let your hair air dry - do not use any artificial heat

(3) After washing, while the hair is still damp, work a teaspoon of oil (or more or less depending on length) into your hair, concentrating on the ends and very dry areas

(4) When your hair has dried completely melt some neat shea butter in the palms of your hand and work this into the driest parts of your hair as a light dressing

(5) Protect your hair from the drying effects of the elements - a silk scarf will protect it from the sun and wind

Best wishes

Uzma

Uzi

Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 2:48am
Hi and thanks everyone. :)

I think I will try the honey and olive oil recipe. But first I would like to ask a few questions about it. I have thin hair,but not too thin so would it be safe to use these materials on my hair? I thought I read somewhere that olive oil should be used on thick hair only. Is this true?

Also, I never heard of using just conditioner on hair. It doesn`t leave you hair oily does it? And how often should I use the conditioner and when do you shampoo? :):):)

..............................again thanks. :)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 12:35pm
Hello again

Regarding Conditioner-only washing, it doesn`t leave your hair oily at all as long as you use the right conditioner for the process.
If you have oily hair, use a conditioner made specifically for oily hair, etc.
The science behind it is that conditioner formulations contain surfactants which enable the conditioner to be rinsed off the hair, and that these are sufficient to clean the hair without recourse to a shampoo.
When using this method you will need to use a little more conditioner than you are used to - about a tablespoon for shoulder length hair - and apply it to your wet hair and scalp. Add a little more water and really wash the head thoroughly.
Rinse off and thats it.
I use a cheap conditioner for this process as I am not interested in the conditioning effect of the product. I have very dry and coarse hair and I use a conditioner for normal hair for this method. My scalp is left perfectly clean.
What I and others with very dry hair do after conditioner washing is to apply a more intensive conditioner afterwards, as normal.
Hair is left gorgeously soft and clean and no harsh detergents have been used.
If you find you get a build-up, skip the intensive conditioner, or use a dilute cider vinegar rinse between the use of the two conditioners.
The best results I have had have been using Aussie 3-minute Miracle as a washing agent, but I now save this for when I am earning good money (I am on a tight budget at the moment!!).
How often - this depends on how your hair and scalp react to the new process. I find that hair needs to be waashed less often as my scalp is not drying out and getting stiff so much. I don`t even use a traditional shampoo when I oil my hair prior to washing it.
I hope you try it out and are as happy with this method as I and others have been.

Best wishes

Uzma

Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 1:00pm
PS: Brandi, you may like to check out the message thread started by rrobey in General Hair Talk on 6th September, on the Conditioner Only method. One of the responses provides a link to an article that you might find useful.
Uzi

Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 1:36am
Thank you very much.
I used the conditioner only method with Johnson and Johnson 5.5 conditioner.
And my hair is so soft. :) I"m going to continue to use this method.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic