Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Karen`s Recipes From "Hair Stuff"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shelton@hairboutique.com View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelton@hairboutique.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karen`s Recipes From "Hair Stuff"
    Posted: January 12 2003 at 5:03am
Hi All,

I am one of those people that lose pens, car keys, socks, sunglasses. If it is not glued on, I will lose it. My friends always say that is has "vanished into the Karen Universe". I also carry around hundreds of pads of papers with little notes and I have stickies everywhere.

With all of that said....my New Year`s Resolution was to try and consolidate some of my "hair stuff". Some of it can go into AskKaren columns, some can do into HairNews and future articles but some is random pieces of hair trivia. I have decided to post some of it on HairTalk in the appropriate categories.

I hope you will all feel free to add comments, questions, etc., to this thread which is going to be all the little hair care recipes that I find.

When possible I will note where I got the recipe. In some cases I have actually tried them.

Some of these recipes may have already been posted by all the wonderful folks who have shared on this board. If so, I apologize in advance for the duplication.

Best wishes & Happy 2003 To All.

Karen Shelton

Mango Hair Masque
Adds Moisture To Dry/Damaged Hair

I got this recipe from a former massage therapist who loved to whip up all kinds of hair and skin masks. I love soft mangos & it makes my hair feel soft. This treatment reminds me of the popular avocado hair masks.

Peel one ripe mango
Chop the mango fruit into tiny cubes
Add 1-2 tablespoons of walnut oil
Add a dash of fresh lemon juice
Mash or blend well to make a gooey paste.

Apply to the hair from the ears down. Wrap in a plastic shower cap or plastic wrap. Leave on hair for 30 minutes or longer.

Before shampooing remove any loose mango mixture and discard in the trash. This prevent mango from clogging the shower drain.

Rinse with warm water until all the mango is removed. Shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo. Follow with a rinse out conditioner. Complete with a cool/cold rinse.

Bargain Basement Hair Gel
Women`s World Magazine
July 2002

The active ingredient in most gels sold in grocery stores if....gelatin....the same kind that you find in the jello aisle.

Dissolve 1 tsp unflavored gelatin in 1 cup warm water. Pour into a clean jar and refrigerate. Scoop a little out and apply to hair as you would any store gel.

Karen`s Trick:
If you have colored hair experiment with colored gelatin. Try Lemon for blonde, Strawberry or Cherry for redheads and Grape or a dark Berry for brunettes. Get hold and a little highlights at the same time.

Karen M. Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen M. Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2003 at 7:44am
Hi,

Here is another recipe I found in my "hair stuff".

Scalp Massage Oil
Scalp massage oil designed to help stimulate the hair follicles:

Mix the following essential oils in either jojoba, Sweet Almond or other "light" carrier oil that has been gently heated to a warm but not hot temp.

3 drops of thyme
4 drops of lavender
4 drops of rosemary (may darken hair)*
*If you have light locks alternate lemon oil for the rosemary.
5 drops of cedarwood
2 drops of basil oil

Store in an amber of blue glass bottle in a cool, dry place and the oil formula will last for more than one application.

Apply to the root area of the head and massage. When finished wrap your head in a plastic cap or plastic wrap. Layer a warm towel over the top. Relax and let the oil soak for 30 minutes or more if desired. Shampoo and condition as usual.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic