Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Uzma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Uzma
    Posted: June 24 2003 at 10:22pm
Hi Uzma,

I just read an article in today's paper about ear candleing. It claims to pull all the extra wax from the ear and to cure everything from migraine headaches to allergies. A few years ago, with a push from a friend, I tried this at home with my husband assisting. All that came out was ashes from the candle and I could not help but to wonder if this friend thought this was wax. (He wasn't know for his common sense) It also stated many religions used it in practices.

What is your view of this practice? I would love to hear your prespective. Do you think there is something to it or is it just a gimmick?

Lili
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 5:09am
Hi Lili

Aha - Thermo-Auricular Therapy.

In my humble opinion ear candles are a gimmick.
There are many claims as you say, Lili, but it's just sales pitch for the gullible.

With regards to sinusitis and upper respiratory tract blockages, I have found a combination of steam aromatherapy, ingestion of a hot chilli-tamrind brew and manual drainage (by massage) an unbeatable combination. And the results are direct and immediate.

Regarding headaches and migranes, these occur for many reasons. The underlying cause has to be identified and resolution is different in each case.

As for build-ups of ear-wax, I have had excellent results with mixing a quarter-cup of pure olive oil with an equal amount of warm water. Pour this into the ear canal while lying down with head propped on one side on a cushion. Keep the mixture in the ear for 15 minutes, then drain away.
Repeat, with just the hot water.
One treatment should sufficiently loosen the ear-wax in most cases. Otherwise repeat once every 24 hours for 3 days max.

Ear-candles....don't waste your money!!!

Hope that helps, Lili.

Take care
Uzi

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 11:44pm
Thank you Uzma,

Would the olive oil treatment be safe for my 10 yr old?
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 6:30am
Hello Lili

Yes, indeed.
I have safely used this on my 5 year old neice and both I and my sister had this treatment as children.

Please ensure that the mixture is at a comfortable temperature and is inserted by the teaspoon so that there are no air pockets.

CAUTION: If your child has a perforated ear-drum, an inner ear inflammation or infection, please do not use this method. There are other ones more suitable.

Hope that helps.
Uzi

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 9:49pm
Thank you Uzma!

You're the best!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 12:41pm
You are most welcome, gracious lady.
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic