Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"hard" water and clarifying recipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "hard" water and clarifying recipes
    Posted: July 07 2003 at 12:40am
I've heard that hard water can cause build-up of minerals in the hair, and that it would be a good idea to clear it. I remember reading a hairboutique article about natural clarifying recipes, but can't find it (maybe I'm just dreaming).

Are there natural recipes for clarifying scalp and hair? I'm on a budget so I'd rather not by more shampoo and conditioner. I can't afford a water softener either.

Also, how often should the remedy be used? once a week, perhaps? I'd rather not wait until the damage is done and then try to fix it.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 11:57am
I occasionally rinse my hair in an Apple Cider Vinegar solution. I found the recipe at HB.com. Just search on Apple Cider Vinegar. It is somewhere in the middle of an article... If you can't find it, lemme know and I'll have a look for you.

Anyway, I think the recipe is to make a solution 2 parts apple cider vinegar and 4 parts water?? I take a tall plastic cup (about the size of a tea glass... not quite a pint) and put in 2 cups of apple cider vinegar, and then top the glass off with warm water.

Keep the solution handy to your shower. After you've finished your normal shampoo and conditioner routine and have shut the shower off, do a final rinse of your hair and scalp with the vinegar solution.

Your hair will smell like vinegar for awhile, but it goes away when your hair is dry. (Or at least becomes MUCH less noticeable.) I don't mind the smell. It reminds me of dying easter eggs!

HTH

Oh PS: You can do this as often as you like. As often as you and the people you live with can put up with the smell.
And yes you can do this on damaged hair. In fact, it may improve the condition of your damaged hair. The vinegar solution is acidic, so it will help seal your cuticles.

Also, I think Phyto makes a shampoo with Apple Cider Vinegar in it, if you like the results but don't like the smell. But I'd definitely try the rinse first. Much cheaper. A bottle of apple cider vinegar is less than $1.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 12:01pm
aha! thanks! I thought I had read it before..
Ask Karen
The info is about halfway down the page... under Question: Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair?

1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 cups distilled water

other clarifying recipes I've found:
1 cup of lemon juice

3 parts conditioner to 1 part lemon juice

1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 cup warm water
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 10:04am
here is a simple recipe for hair clarifying

2 cups of warm water
1/2 cup of lemon juice

mix the ingredients together and pour over your head. message gentlyand let it sit for 10 mins. Rinse out, condition and style. it leaves the hair clean and smelling great. leave it in longer if u use alot of oils or heavy styling products

or try the lemon-aid clarifying treatment
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
your usual amount of conditioner

mix together, apply and work thru hair. rince and style. This works i tried it and it is great
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 10:09pm
Be careful with the lemon juice. It's also used to lighten hair.

The blonde Southern women in my family would use lemon juice as a rinse to "keep our blonde hair beautiful" and it's been done for generations.

Apple cider vinegar is good tho. Just use it sparingly, too much will cause drying (and the significant other in your life to wrinkle his nose from the smell)
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
adina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 3:33pm
HI~I use Great Lengths Anti-Tap water,It was made for removing minerals and such from your hair. www.peterlouissalon.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic