Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perm ruined my hair, what to do now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brownshuga911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownshuga911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm ruined my hair, what to do now?
    Posted: September 09 2003 at 8:37pm
Hey, I really enjoy your site, and signed up recently/

My problem is: I used to have thick, black silky hair, and it was straight at the top and waves at the bottom. I mendhi’d it once or twice, and then dyed it. A year later, (1 month ago) I got it permed, and after the second day , the curls started to come out. I went to the salon, and their guarantee was come back in a week if your not satisfied. They agreed the hair was not done properly, and started to reperm it, but I refused since 2 perms in a week would damage my hair most likely. They finally agreed to let me come back within a month or so. But now im really confused. To make my hair curly, I wash it, gel it and scrunch it, and it takes a good hour to keep it curly for longer than 5 mins, n it gets really frizzy and just limp and crmped, no curls at all. It is all straight at the top, and lil ringlets at the bottom. It’s been one month now, so I am due for a reperm at the salon. But im debating whether I should or not, do you think I should ask them if they can just straighten it instead? Cuz it is the same chemical used right, so its not like its more or less or anything. My aunt who is a beautician told me to use mendhi in my hair, because eventually it will cause the curl to completely leave my hair and restore the shine and nutrients; but I read on some sites that mendhi for permed hair is a big NO. can u clear up all of this and recommend a good solution? I like my hair when its curly, but it Is very hard to manage, if I got a reperm would it be completely dry, or would it be not that bad and have the ringlet curls all over and easier to manage? Or should I straighten it instead, or would htat cause it to dry out? Or should I just apply mendhi onc ea week to my hair for a few months, and let nature take its course.

Please tell me ASAP, since im due to go to the salon this Friday (4 days).

Thanks so much
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 10:56am
If Mendhi means Henna.....You're right Permanent waves and Henna DO NOT work together. Did you tell the Stylist that you had Henna on your hair before the first perm?

If Henna is involved, it is most likly the reason your perm didn't take well. My recommendation is; Don't Mendhi (Henna) your hair again if you want Perm, straightening or color on your hair in the future.

There are so many options that are WAY better then henna.

I just have to add ...If you have henna on your hair before a perm....and I don't know if you do....The Perm didn't ruin your hair. It just couldn't process through it. Sooo, you could have ended up with some parts processed and a lot of parts not.

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 10:56am
Sorry ditto post

Katriannal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katriannal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 7:46pm
hi sophie i was wondering the mendhi is supposed to be a conditioning treatment!? i though henna was used as a colourant just wondering if it isn't a good option for conditioning then what is!? thanks
katrianna
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 9:18pm
Hi Kat, Is Mendhi henna? I'm only guessing.

I'm a Big Redken Fan. I really like Deep Fuel and i've loved Cat for a lot of years...Theyaren't that expensive. The Cat is really affordable, easy to use and goes a very long way.

Shades crystle Clear under the dryer for 20 minutes and a cool rinse....great shine that lasts. A Salon treatment but I love it of course.

Alterna just came out with a new Permanent Shine ...I have really liked it so far. A salon treatment and a bit pricy....but worth it. IMO

Cheer's Girl.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic