Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oiling hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iwantlonghair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwantlonghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oiling hair
    Posted: July 19 2004 at 11:35am
i have a question.
i've read a lot about oiling hair. but some say you must massage it into scalp to stimulate growth, while others insist you never put oil on the roots, as it will make hair heavy and greasy.
who is right?
which should i do?
or does it depend on which type of hair, because mine is thick.
please help.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 4:53pm
Hello Iwantlonghair,

No, it doesn't depend on the hair type.
No, you should not oil your scalp for a leave-in treatment.

Normally you shouldn't put oil on your scalp because it disrupts the acid mantle (your scalp has a pH of 4.5-5.5, somewhere around there, and shampoos are acidic to keep it that way)
The acid mantle on your scalp is antimicrobial and prevents fungi from growing. If you oil the scalp, it could cause an imbalance.. leading to itching or other problems, or a massive scalp breakout, depending on the oil you're using. Coconut oil tends to cause breakouts, while jojoba does not.

THE EXCEPTION: If you're going to oil your scalp, be sure to do it as a pre-wash treatment and shampoo it out thoroughly after letting the oil soak.

hope this helps : )

Anais Satin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 4:55pm
Oh, and it's the massaging that stimulates the growth. Oiling the scalp does not necessarily stimulate hair growth.
naureen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naureen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Normally you shouldn't put oil on your scalp because it disrupts the acid mantle (your scalp has a pH of 4.5-5.5, somewhere around there, and shampoos are acidic to keep it that way)
The acid mantle on your scalp is antimicrobial and prevents fungi from growing. .

can u plz tell me what is the difference between dandruff and fungi?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 4:17pm
A fungal infection may or may not flake, but it could definitely form a crust... and get really nasty.

Dandruff usually just feels like a dry flaky scalp. Many people who think they have dandruff don't actually HAVE dandruff. Often it's just dryness.

HTH
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
naureen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naureen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:20am
hey thanx for the info:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic