Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by sawyer84_2000 sawyer84_2000 wrote:

I've heard of people using conditioner then covering with shower cap for a while. I'm a guy with short but highlighted hair. Would this benefit me? How long should you do it and how often? I use pantene pro v shampoo and conditioner. Do guys wear shower caps-is it odd for them to?

Shower caps also hold the heat in which allows the hair folicle to open. This helps hair absorb color better if you are coloring your hair, but it also helps you get the most benefits from a deep conditioning treatment.

I won't use pantene because of the silicones in it, which causes hair to become brittle over time. If you are going to keep your hair short, it's no big deal because you cut the buildup off. For someone who is growing their hair out, it's a deathwish.

Depending on the condition of your hair, once a week to once a month should be sufficient. For example, my hair is fine and I blowdry it every day. It tends to dry out, so I do a "moisture wrap" every other week for about 10 minutes. When my hair gets to the point where I can style it without blowdrying, I do the wrap once a month.

(The seasons also determine how often I do wraps. For example, I do wraps more often in the summer because my hair tends to dry out more in the summer months due to sun and swimming. Winter heat dries it out too, but spring and fall are relatively gentle on my hair.)
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2004 at 1:18am
Well, I found a site that listed ingredients for your conditioner. It contains lots of silicone ingredients and humectants (to keep moisture). I'm not saying 'cones are good for everyone, but it works for me. Pantene Color Revive doesn't contain any "scientifically unproven" ingredients such as herbal extracts...(many herbal extracts only work if they're used in a real solution by themselves) It has ingredients that make a difference. For the most part, it seems like this conditioner increases the shine to bring out what color you have.

This is definitely a conditioner I would choose for myself.. if only my long hair didn't need so much quantity. I end up buying cheap stuff so I can get a lot of it.

You can get a shower cap at almost any drugstore, I think. They can't be more than a dollar, since many hotels give them free too. Your local Walgreens or Rite-Aid should have them.
sawyer84_2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 11:59pm
thanx for your help I use the pantene pro v color revival stuff is that ok? where can I get shower caps from??
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 4:37pm
A shower cap is a great idea and many people take advantage of this cheap way to prevent premature rinsing. It's mostly ladies who do it, but that's because gents don't usually care enough about their hair. It's always good to let conditioner "sit" on your hair for awhile. Wash and rinse your hair, then apply the conditioner + cap it, and move on to other body parts. Then de-cap and rinse well. Most people probably cap for around 3-5 minutes. You can do this at least once a week, I'd say.

You mentioned highlighting.. Since any chemical damages hair at least a bit, leaving conditioner on for extra time will definitely help you. Pantene Pro V contains a lot of silicone products, which will coat the hair and protect it from the elements (assuming you haven't had problems with cone conditioners like Pantene and L'Oreal before).
And if you're still miffy about it, it's not like anyone's gonna see you in the shower anyway... : )

Good luck

Anais Satin
sawyer84_2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 7:06am
I've heard of people using conditioner then covering with shower cap for a while. I'm a guy with short but highlighted hair. Would this benefit me? How long should you do it and how often? I use pantene pro v shampoo and conditioner. Do guys wear shower caps-is it odd for them to?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic