Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sawyer84_2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conditioning
    Posted: July 22 2004 at 7:06am
I've heard of people using conditioner then covering with shower cap for a while. I'm a guy with short but highlighted hair. Would this benefit me? How long should you do it and how often? I use pantene pro v shampoo and conditioner. Do guys wear shower caps-is it odd for them to?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 4:37pm
A shower cap is a great idea and many people take advantage of this cheap way to prevent premature rinsing. It's mostly ladies who do it, but that's because gents don't usually care enough about their hair. It's always good to let conditioner "sit" on your hair for awhile. Wash and rinse your hair, then apply the conditioner + cap it, and move on to other body parts. Then de-cap and rinse well. Most people probably cap for around 3-5 minutes. You can do this at least once a week, I'd say.

You mentioned highlighting.. Since any chemical damages hair at least a bit, leaving conditioner on for extra time will definitely help you. Pantene Pro V contains a lot of silicone products, which will coat the hair and protect it from the elements (assuming you haven't had problems with cone conditioners like Pantene and L'Oreal before).
And if you're still miffy about it, it's not like anyone's gonna see you in the shower anyway... : )

Good luck

Anais Satin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 11:59pm
thanx for your help I use the pantene pro v color revival stuff is that ok? where can I get shower caps from??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2004 at 1:18am
Well, I found a site that listed ingredients for your conditioner. It contains lots of silicone ingredients and humectants (to keep moisture). I'm not saying 'cones are good for everyone, but it works for me. Pantene Color Revive doesn't contain any "scientifically unproven" ingredients such as herbal extracts...(many herbal extracts only work if they're used in a real solution by themselves) It has ingredients that make a difference. For the most part, it seems like this conditioner increases the shine to bring out what color you have.

This is definitely a conditioner I would choose for myself.. if only my long hair didn't need so much quantity. I end up buying cheap stuff so I can get a lot of it.

You can get a shower cap at almost any drugstore, I think. They can't be more than a dollar, since many hotels give them free too. Your local Walgreens or Rite-Aid should have them.
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by sawyer84_2000 sawyer84_2000 wrote:

I've heard of people using conditioner then covering with shower cap for a while. I'm a guy with short but highlighted hair. Would this benefit me? How long should you do it and how often? I use pantene pro v shampoo and conditioner. Do guys wear shower caps-is it odd for them to?

Shower caps also hold the heat in which allows the hair folicle to open. This helps hair absorb color better if you are coloring your hair, but it also helps you get the most benefits from a deep conditioning treatment.

I won't use pantene because of the silicones in it, which causes hair to become brittle over time. If you are going to keep your hair short, it's no big deal because you cut the buildup off. For someone who is growing their hair out, it's a deathwish.

Depending on the condition of your hair, once a week to once a month should be sufficient. For example, my hair is fine and I blowdry it every day. It tends to dry out, so I do a "moisture wrap" every other week for about 10 minutes. When my hair gets to the point where I can style it without blowdrying, I do the wrap once a month.

(The seasons also determine how often I do wraps. For example, I do wraps more often in the summer because my hair tends to dry out more in the summer months due to sun and swimming. Winter heat dries it out too, but spring and fall are relatively gentle on my hair.)
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 5:12pm
Although I didn't start this thread, I still learned a lot from your post, Foxfan. Thank you so much : )

Anais Satin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 11:07am
thanx for the help-i''ll try it out sometime FoxFan-do you think it''s odd to wear a shower cap?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 12:05pm
Ohgawd, for the last time Sawyer84, who cares if it's odd?!?! LOL, nobody sees you in the shower anyway! : ) : ) : )

Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 11:23pm
Thanx for your help-i'm not trying to bug you just get as many views as possible from as many people as possible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2004 at 10:52am
Dont worry Sawyer, I'm just messing with you : )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2004 at 10:49am
anais satin-I tried it this morning-it felt absolutely out of this world when I got finished-I felt I had a brand new head of hair!!!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2004 at 11:42am
Sooo now you're hooked, right? Gawd, I LOVE the process of conditioning... such stress relief! I'm glad things went well for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2004 at 4:36pm
yes anais satin I guess I'm hooked!! Words can't express how great it felt-even I looked odd in a shower cap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2004 at 6:28pm
LOL! Join the club! I swear, conditioning is a true ART...
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 6:29pm
can i ask wht a moisture wrap is??...and also foxfan or anyone else do you guys kno of any good shampoos & conditioners that contain silicone?? since im trying to grow my hair out...im currently deep conditioning my hair with redken deep fuel...wht do u guys think of that

thX for ur help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 1:10am
I'm not sure what a moisture wrap is really like. but I'm guessing it can be a variation of how I deep condition: the deep oiling, except covered by a shower cap or plastic wrap. Or some other advance. Moisture + wrap. Hm.. defined by its own word! That took me awhile to think of. It's getting late here. and I'm low on glucose.

Suave Humectant and BioBasics:
Suave Humectant is a really heavy duty silicone. Suave BioBasics has a less pronounced one, a bit more flex and softness. BioBasics has dimethiconol which I like better, because it's water soluble and builds up a little less than dimethicone (the Humectant). Both give great shine. And I love what cetearyl alcohol does for my hair... The dry slip is just amazing.

The Redken stuff you're using sounds wonderful. It's supposed to contain what they call "ceramides", which bind to the cuticle and fill in gaps to temporarily fill in the "pothole" damage.. it's kinda like that. Sounds like some pretty advanced sh_t. It does look expensive though, so it really depends on whether you can afford this stuff long term. Sounds good for a once-in-a-while pampering.

Yup.. it's really getting late. I'll get fluffy on you if I keep typing.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 5:14pm
wht i meant to say in the last post in are there any shampoos and conditioners that DONT contain silicone since im tryin to grow my hair out...haha srry, but is silicone really that bad for you hair, like i know it builds up but when you use a clarifying shampoo or somethin it still doesnt come out?? or is it just bad for your hair in general...the redken deep fuel stuff does work pretty good but it doesnt make my hair soft or moisturized does anyone know of any really good deep conditioners that i can buy like at the salon because thers no places here that have coconut or jojoba oil, soo im just looking for a brand that works really good, okayy again thX for you guys help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 5:56pm
My coarse hair likes cones, but some other hair types don't. It depends on your hair type whether you should use cones.

Some people, like me, cannot use coneless because my hair tangles like mad without them. Silicones keep me looking civil, as opposed to Civil War battlefield hair. If your hair likes coneless products and doesn't tangle when you use them, then stick with the coneless. It'll save you the clarifying step. Otherwise, cones are perfectly safe--IF YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT CONE. Dimethiconol any cone with an "ol" at the end is best because it's water soluble. Cones get a bad rap, but if you don't notice horrible damage, go ahead and use the cone. Make sure to clarify often.

Do keep in mind that silicones don't make your hair grow any slower... in fact, I use cones and my hair will reach waist length by Christmas. It grows about an inch per month which is above average. Proof that cones don't slow hair growth! Yay! Cones are a protective coating to the strand. In fact, for people with coarse hair especially, cones will lessen their breakage and split ends by protection from wind and friction. emphasis on friction. There's more to a cone conditioner than the cone: humectants, emollients, etc. are sealed in by the cone to do their magical work.

I can't recommend any salon products because I use a combo of natural, wholesale, and drugstore stuff. Maybe others have suggestions for you...

HTH
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 11:50pm
If you're looking for a natural conditioner, try a Shea Butter conditioner. It's the best thing I've ever used. I'm constantly telling people about it.

I use PC Botanical Secrets Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner. I think it's a Canadian brand, so if you can't find a brand containing Shea Butter where you live, you can buy natural Shea Butter at a health food store -- just rub a blob of it between your hands until it liquifies, then work it through damp hair. I use it almost every time I condition my hair. I've also used it under a shower cap for a 1-hour deep conditioning treatment. When you rinse it out, use tepid water because too much heat will strip the moisture. The next time you shampoo your hair with warm/hot water, the Shea Butter is rinsed completely away, so you never get build-up on your hair. I get beautiful results every time I reapply. It's also good for the scalp. You can massage it into your scalp to prevent dandruff or to soothe a dry and/or itchy scalp.

Like AnaisSatin, I have long hair -- a little past waist-length. Mine also grows about an inch a month. I think the key to growing long hair is just keep it healthy. My number one tip is -- never brush it when it's wet; this can break your hair. Just comb it with a wide-tooth comb, starting at the ends. I also apply shampoo only to my scalp and avoid heat styling. Works for me.

Different conditioners work for different hair types. My hair is thick but with a very fine, silky texture. It gets weighed down by silicone products. I have used Pantene and Fructis in the past -- with no visible damage to my hair -- it just got limp after a few applications. Silicone products seem to work really well for some people, though.

P.S. Everyone looks ridiculous in a shower cap. That's why we don't wear them to the office.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawyer84_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2004 at 4:50pm
thanks for everyones comments go George W.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic