Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I've really done it this time! PLEASE help....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've really done it this time! PLEASE help....
    Posted: August 11 2004 at 11:38pm
Hi, I have a small compulsive disorder... Trichotillomania. I have been pulling my hair since I was a teenager (now 38 years old) and go through bad phases and good phases. I've really don't it this time, and have gone through quite a heavy session over the past few months and although I don't have bald patches, have been pulling hair evenly from all over my head, resulting in a thinner look all over. It's awful and when I look in the mirror, I realise what I have done!!! HELP!

I have had beautiful thick hair before and KNOW I can again. I have purchased jojoba oil before but it's SOO expensive. What can I do to A) help promote growth in all the shafts I have pulled out and B) restore condition to the existing hair, which is dry split and dull?

I know there are no MIRACLE answers, but I'm hoping for something close to it.

I have two weddings to attend to before the end of the year (bridesmaid in both) and hoping to not be humiliated by my stupid hair!

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 2:53pm
Hi MM,

I was a compulsive hair puller too. I was only able to grow healthy hair after I stopped pulling... If you want healthy hair, you'll have to get this mania treated first, THEN worry about how your hair will grow back.

Good luck
Anais
MM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 10:00pm
Thanks Anais, how did you stop?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 11:25pm
To be completely honest, I have no idea how I stopped hair pulling. After discovering my biggest bald patch I cried for about an hour in the girls' bathroom at my post-secondary. The habit just kind of faded after awhile... I did notice less stress during the time I was quitting. Finding better ways to relieve stress (e.g. my meditation) was of much help. And I was nurturing thoughts of growing out my hair at the time too. I found other more productive things to do with my hands, usually excessive typing. I wrote a tremendous amount of fiction that year; those fingers sure needed something to do. And the bald patch was the most trauma I'd ever dealt with in a long time... I suppose that contributed the most.

In my family, quitting cigarettes is just as easy as quitting hair-pulling... With your case, I'd recommend seeing a professional.

Best of luck,
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic