Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair and the behavior of light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sparrowhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair and the behavior of light
    Posted: January 12 2005 at 11:06pm
I was watching these threads as I became a member and I can't find where the comment was about why hair can change color by what's in it.

Some of the things were:

1. Water.
2. Additives for a wet look
3. Conditioner
4. Just plan oils from your own head.

It's an interesting subject because you take it for grantite.

Most of you beautiful women who have tresses that mesmerize....Oops.. that's a guy for you.. concentrate!

Let's start again... Most women have hair color ranging from white to black.

Interesting!

Why?

Did you ever go into a car that had a black on top... or also white?

There is more heat in a black top than a white.

There is reason.

Any white object has a certain property that happens in your eye. When looking at white, The light goes mostly into your eyes and a little goes through it. IF you had a black top in summer heat.. you will be hotter that if you had a white top.

Black: Light goes into it and through it and not much goes into your eyes. White is refected into your eyes and most light does not.. releativitily...

Hair is in between these areas. White, light blonde, blonde, stawberry blonde, light aburn, aburn, dark aburn, sandy brown, light brown, brown, dark brown, black... and many imbetween. (For give the spelling, I'm only a writer!)

Water and white.. they don't do so much.. same with black.

But.. in between, they act strangely.

The factors are pigment, strand thickness and elasticity.

That's what makes your hair darker when wet.

Why?

Let's say you have dark auburn hair...

Now, gather it above your head and look at the clump you made. You might see a color difference.

You brush it to death and look at it in all light... meaning sunlight.. incondescent and florescent. IT might appear a little darker when you do the same.

The secret is pigment. You have this dark auburn hair and you want to do a scienticic experiement on it... (reality is going, here!)

Now.. the obvious.

You do an overhead rinse and you find your dark aburn hair very dark, wet and (your cold).

Why is it dark?

When you hair was dry.. the pigments were at a smaller area per square inch... so they seemed aburn.

Now that you added water, your hair has clumped together and the amount of pigment has changed per spuare inch. More pigment.. the darker your hairwill be

This is fascinating.. but...

Allright.. I will stay on subject! Remember The amount of pigment in your eyes, the thickness of your strands and elasticic properties.

Yuck.. I hate spelling!

Dry.. less pigment per square inch and wet.. more pigment per square inch.

The strand of hair is very small and long.

Elasticity can me shown my taking any surface and spraying water on it. Let the wate rinse off. There will still be water on the surface. The larger amount of water and beads fall.. but, there is a remainder. It is held by the elastic properties of water.

If you rinse your hair and let it drip in the sink.. why is you hair still wet. It's the same thing.

Water is elastic and will hold water and keep the strands.. so thin and light together and keep the amount of pigment darker.

As you dry your hair.. you take away the water and the strands take on their natural color.

So, if you put something in your hair that clings to the strands.. your hair will be darker. Like anything you want to make it look wet!

To much conditioner will dry on the strands and cling and be darker and you will realise you have to much. Rinse it off until it seems right.

So.. for those who wonder why hair changes color when wet.. that is why. It's just natural physics.. nothng more.

Bye

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic