Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"dreads"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "dreads"
    Posted: January 23 2005 at 8:05am
I find it ironic how on a "hair discussion" board they have a whole section called "dreadlocks"...Clearly, nobody actually know the history of this style. Im from NY and if you walk into Harlem calling them DREADlocks to someone who has them, your gonna get a lot of heat. A lot of people don't know that, but it's just politically uncorrect. The people who actually know the history of them(as many of the people who have them DONT) would prefer them to be called "locks", void the 'dread'.
Sara
ozerik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozerik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 9:19pm
Yeah, the term "dreadlocks" comes from the original way White colonists would talk about the corded, unkempt hairstyle the newly empowered, rebelling people of African descent wore in the Carribean. "Dreadful locks of hair".
Nobody i know associates the "dread" term with "dreadful" anymore, although plenty of people assume they're unhygenic. I do try to compliment people by saying "nice locks" instead of "nice dreads", but "dreads" is a useful term, and we, as a country, need to stop taking offense where none is intended, and try to understand each other.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 3:36pm
Everyone I know call them locs...I have only heard caucasion people call them dreadlocs.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

BedHeadDreads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BedHeadDreads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 12:54am

Locks, dreads, dreadlocks, we all know what the other mean, no biggie!! lol Come on!! 

Peace and Love!!

Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:24am

Agreed. 

It is all about terminology and who is wearing what style and not about being disrespectful or intending any offense.  What is considered politically correct or incorrect with one race may not apply in any sense to a different race. 

The other issue is that it is virtually impossible to segregate hair styles into neat little boxes.  Even hair extension DIYers will add wool and other twisted or prelocked types of hair to their strands to get a unique look.  Regardless of the race involved, there is no disrespect, just wanting to do new things with hairstyles.

blonde_witchuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blonde_witchuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 12:58pm

I thought dreadlocks were called dreadlocks because of the rasta [spelling?] religion?

If I remember rightly the book i read said that the hair style was designed to make people dread the wearer of the dreadlocks, so directly translated them as dread locks. They are locks of dread.

Thats what I read anyway : )

Hayley x

KiNgIzCoMiNbAcK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiNgIzCoMiNbAcK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 1:48am
we call them Dreads in the bay area, you'd never hear us call them locks
va'sfynest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote va'sfynest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:43pm
yea in dc ,maryland and va everybody callen dreads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic