Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Black Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
maggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Black Hair?
    Posted: February 27 2003 at 1:31pm
Hi, I am thinking about dyeing my hair a blue black color. (This might sound weird, lol, but you know the Archie comics? You know how Veronica''s hair is like black, but where the they make the light shine on it her hair is like a navy bluish?) Anyways, I have natually dark brown hair and my eye brows are natually black. Will this color look good on me? Also, do you have any suggestions as to what brand dye i should use? When they label the color blue black...will it really make my hair have a bluish tone, or will it just look black?? Thanks so much!

Oh...and if the tips of my hair are lighter (from using Sun-in 2 years ago) will the color still work on the tips of my hair too??
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 8:15pm
Hi Maggie:

I 'm going to suggest semi-permanent deposit only color if your going darker...You don't need to put your hair through the permanent color thing. Maybe someone can recommend something...If you get Salon color Redken Shades, or Matrix Color Sync would work great.

Yes, your old highlighted ends will pull base tones from the color...muddy..grayish greenish or even bluish...? They need to be filled before coloring.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 7:02am
Hmm blue black is nice. I see a lot of asian people using it. there nothing weird about it. It just another shade of black. I use to have it to. I looks great, but people dont really notice it unless you compare a black dyed hair with blue black then you will see the different. But since you have brown hair the colour would show
ARGHH
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 2:29pm
I'm asian but I look awful with blue black hair. I tried it once and it just clashes with my skintone (looked harsh). But with a natural or soft black, it looks best on me. I love that shiny, black hair without bluish undertones. More of like silvery black.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Maggie Maggie wrote:

Hi, I am thinking about dyeing my hair a blue black color. (This might sound weird, lol, but you know the Archie comics? You know how Veronica''s hair is like black, but where the they make the light shine on it her hair is like a navy bluish?) Anyways, I have natually dark brown hair and my eye brows are natually black. Will this color look good on me? Also, do you have any suggestions as to what brand dye i should use? When they label the color blue black...will it really make my hair have a bluish tone, or will it just look black?? Thanks so much!

Oh...and if the tips of my hair are lighter (from using Sun-in 2 years ago) will the color still work on the tips of my hair too??

Natural Instincts have Amazon Indigo, which is a blue-black semi-permanent color or Feria's Starry Night permanent dye, also blue-black. I bet blue black hair will look gorgeous on you, just like this fave actress, Claudia Black of "Farscape" (see my icon).
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 8:20pm
Go with the Natural Instincts...You don't need 20 vol. H2O2, and ammonia to deposit color. (Unless covering gray)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 8:11am
Beware...a girl on another thread reported using semi-permanent hair color in blue-black (natural dark brown) and it is not washing out. This will happen sometimes when you use a darker color in semi-permanent.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 7:32pm
It will, or could, happen with any color, semi, demi, or permanent.

If you're going to deposit dark color on your hair it doesn't, in most cases just wash out and go back to your natural color.
maggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 4:08pm
Thanks everyone for replying!!!! So I should use a semi-permanant hair dye? but Now im not sure about dying my hair...since my tips of my hair are dyed with sun-in. Are you sure it wont work right?? Now im sad, lol:( but thanks so much for all the replies!!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 8:19pm
Do a test strand girl, see if you like it...make sure you get some of that lightened hair so you can see what the dark will do on it.

It won't just wash out tho...be aware of that.

Let us know
maggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 10:26pm
yea, maybe I will try that. If I do that, I could do some of the hair underneath. but now im not totally sure I want to dye it!! hmmmmm.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2003 at 7:13pm
Yeah I tried dying my hair blue to get Blue black hair since my hair is naturally black I thought it I used lots of dye it would show up a bit... but it didn't work. It turned the red at the front a yucky dark grey purple and only showed up once under some light. My hair is to big and messy anway I don't think it'd look too good but I'd like to try it anyway especially when it grows out.

I don't want to use anything permanent as I want to bleach my hair sometime (I'm a future planner) and it's dark enough already.
mm View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 1:19am
You sound like me.2 years go i used sun in,then i dyed my hair blue black for another 2 years.Now im going back to my natural hair color.
SkaWroteEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkaWroteEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 3:43pm
Hey everyone,
Ok so I had a post similar to this one but no one responded, so I thought I'd write here. I've got brown hair, and I suppose brown eyebrows and was thinking of going black (or black with a light blue tint) this weekend.

Few questions. One, would this even look good on me?

Two, what are some things to watch out for? I'm not worried about it not washing out, but what I am worried about is ending up with greens and oranges or whatever in my hair.

This being my first time, should I attempt to do this on my own, or leave it to a pro?

I would appreciate any advice, even if you want to make fun of me. Laugh if you want, just let me know what the word is.

My cats breath smells like cat food.

Big B
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 5:16pm
Do yourself a favor, go with a pro. I don't color my hair but even getting it cut properly is important to me.

Why leave it to chance? Go to a good salon.
Lady Maria
girlindark View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlindark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2003 at 4:29am
Being on the subject of blue black hair, I wonder which ones below would be good for hair? Something that's black with blue undertones that would show up under the lights or something. I have dyed light brown hair that I want to get rid of and return to black permanently. Also, something that is super gentle on my hair, which is on dry and damaged side.

- Natural Instincts Amazon Indigo
- Garnier Lumia Black Iris
- Nice n Easy Natural Blue Black
- Feria Starry Night

I heard negative things about Feria Starry Night. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.
Eryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2003 at 3:03pm
I do not mean to impose on this thread, but I am thirteen and I have been dying my hair with semi-permenent colors for almost a year, and I would like to try something different. I really want to dye the tips of my hair either blue or green. I wanted to know if I could use some sort of food coloring so I can change it often. I went to a website and it said that I could also use Kool-Aid or Jello to acheive this look. How do I use them and how long will they stay in? I go swimming a lot and was also wondering if the color would come out in the pool? If you could help me it would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Eryn
Akaine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 1:59am
Heyya. I am just writing about an interesting experience I had with blue-black colour just today. I have naturally dark-brown hair which for two months I had kept bleached-blonde. I went to a friend's house this weekend and got pink streaks while drunk...and I still live with the mother. Needless to say she was not happy...

So, I ran to Longs and got Feria #21, Starry Night. I was expecting less-than-perfect results, because a) my hair was nearly platinum and b) it contained very-recently applied semi-permanent pink. The verdict...it looks INCREDIBLE. Perfect coverage, absolutely no trace of blonde, beautiful shimmering black with very very noticeable blue tones. (So noticeable, in fact, that my hair almost looks navy blue. I guess that's only good if you don't mind having noticeably blue hair.) The pink is totally gone. The only minor problem is that due to all the damage, my hair started falling out a little during the rinse, but that problem was solved when I used the conditioner that comes in the box...in one application it restored my hair to nearly its original health, before bleaching and all, and I've bleached it all two or three times...and let's face it, Feria is NOT the most gentle of all of the Level 3 dyes...the ammonia fumes are so strong that if a window isn't open you'll get a bit woozy...but DON'T WORRY, the conditioner fixes all that.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 10:44pm
It turned your hair navy-blue? I've been trying to make my hair blue. . . of any shade. . . for years with no luck (always turns green :-( ). I've wondered sometimes if those blue-black dyes would make my hair as blue as the sample strands look, but knowing it wouldn't wash out, I've been afraid to try. I might be more likely to try now it'd take less time to grow all out, even if it were a mistake. *wonders*
Would the less permanent kind turn out as blue as the permanent? I'd really rather use the gentlest thing possible, especially since I (only sometimes) have reactions to dyes. *wonders if it's even still all right to dye in that case*
More awesome than a manatee!
peachy789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2003 at 1:42pm
yes this is a great color that my friends have used...get l'oreal preference in deepest indigo.
Caileigh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic