Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid man had question about developer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
johncall View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid man had question about developer
    Posted: March 20 2003 at 5:19pm
I have been coloring my wife's hair for years, Usually she bounces between shades of blonde but went red a year ago. A few months ago she changes to a different, lighter reddish blonde (a clairol red/gold base). Now she wants to go lighter again but stay red (for the next couple months). Her hair is about 1-1/2" to 2" long and chipped -yea I know, very short and it's a pain to do the roots.

My question: I don't understand the different volumes of developers. I was told that the higher the more "lift" it gives. So if I am using a 20 volume now would 30 volume give me a lighter color? is that how it works?

Also, as a side question, when she does eventually go to a ashy, violet base blonde color are there any special things I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the advice!
hairgirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:16am
hey, i am a hairdresser and the higher the volume you use the closer the color will be to the color on the box. 20 volume lifts and deposits 2 level, 30 volume 3 levels, and 40 volume 4 levels, so after you use the developer the haircolor will beposit a color back into your hair so the higher the volume the more ture the color will be, but if you use 40 if you have a sensitive scalp it can irritate it big time so be sure you do a strand test first
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:53am
Well it's a little more complicated then that and we can't give you a class on lifting & toning hair on this board.

Yes generally speaking, the higher the volume more lift can be achieved. But there are many other factors;
Your wifes natural color/base color.
Color/condition of previously colored hair.
& how much red pigment/from previously c/l hair.
What your mixing the developer with???
Timing?? on base
Timing?? on previously colored hair.
And lets assume you get it all properly lightened...dDepending on how much red/gold she pulls....Do we then need toning??? to achieve the desired ashy/violet blonde.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 10:30pm
Ditto Sophie
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic