Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to get back to natural!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OurJuliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OurJuliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to get back to natural!
    Posted: March 25 2003 at 7:19pm
I've colored my hair for many, many years and barely remember what my natural haircolor is. However, I just don't have the lifestyle to continue keeping up with it, and I really need to get back to my natural color so that I can simply add Shades EQ for brightness and gloss from time to time. My hair is presently a medium auburn, and I want to get back to dark ash blonde. However, all home attempts to lose the red have failed. I am pretty certain I will have to use a color remover before I color again in order to be successful. I would like to use the Redkens Permanent Color Gels after that, but I'm confused as to exactly what color I will need when working with the "virgin" base I will get from the color removal. If my goal is for most of the red to be gone...and end up with a dark to medium ash blonde...what color should I get? Or...am I wrong to begin by removing my current color altogether? Help, please! I know it is wisest to go to a professional, but the last one accomplished nothing, and I don't have the money to spend hopping around to find the right one.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 11:21pm
First of all, what color did you color it with for the red? Product name etc?
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 7:52am
This sounds like a very serious color correction, and I can understand your apprehension with finding the right Stylist to tackle it.

I will add; You cannot lift color with color.

Your hair is not virgin.....Unless you were talking about only the new growth.

How much new growth do you currently have??? And the more new growth you end up with before you try to use a color remover the more complicated this becomes.

What condition is your hair in right now?

Go back and read some of the other posts you will get some important info.

Give us more info.....and try to find a competent Stylist with color corrective experience.....We do exsist....
OurJuliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OurJuliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 6:41pm
Thanks so much for the two replies already! Okay...here's further info. As to what color product I used for the red....wow, too many to list. I don't know if I've ever used the same two brands in a row. The colors were usually described as medium golden brown, and they always came out looking the exact same. I can say that the *last* color I used was Feria Shimmering Colour, which had the same exact effect/color as all the others...but I had used a medium light champagne blonde this time.

I have no new regrowth at this time...and only had about 1/4 inch when I re-colored this past week. Fortunately, my hair is in very good condition. I am religious about using Philosophy, The Breaking Point oil on my hair (under a heat cap) once a week...and I put a clear Redken Shades gloss on it once a month. I would consider it to be very healthy.

Does this help? Thanks soooo very much!

René
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 8:15pm
I was afraid you were going to say the "F" (feria) word....Lili and others weigh in on this.

But every thing I've read on removing this particular product is not good. I've not tried it myself....I've read many Stylists complaining about it on BTC. I don't know what to recommend....Anyone else?

I'm glad your hairs in great condition tho, Juliet.
OurJuliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OurJuliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 10:35pm
Ironically, I had never heard anything about the problems with Feria until I came to this board AFTER I had applied it (of course). So, it's looking like I'm either stuck with red hair...or I could go short while the natural color grows back in (NOT an option for me)...and that's about it? Bummer. Even if I went to a professional corrective colorist...would there be a chance they could get me back to my natural color and get to keep my longer hair?

Again...thanks SO very much for taking the time to add insight to this for me!

Rene
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 8:03pm
Let some of the others weigh in, Juliet...If your hair is in good condition...there is always a chance to shift color around.

Lets see, and meanwhile I will do a little research........Keep the Faith
OurJuliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OurJuliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2003 at 5:51pm
Update: I gave up on the idea of going back to natural all in one shot. I consulted with 3 different hairdressers in my hometown...and I came to the final conclusion that my best bet was to go "striped" with low-lights and high-lights around the red. I'm going to try to let more and more of my natural haircolor make its way in each time I refresh these...and hopefully, eventually, it will all blend together as we get closer and closer to my natural color. From the way it was explained to me...this would be far less damaging to my hair. I already did the first "striping"...and I love it! Thanks so much to Sophie and everyone who commented! ~Rene
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2003 at 7:37pm
Brovo Juliet!:-D It sounds like a good plan to me.

Your highlights may be a little warm at first but that will be fun. Good luck.

Give us updates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic