Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid classic mistake... need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kerri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid classic mistake... need advice
    Posted: April 07 2003 at 10:51am
Well I have a natural hair color of something light to medium brown I suppose (it's been so long I don't remember). I have had blonde highlights and self coloring so long I really don't remember.

Well I colored myself last week and my brown roots and new growth are an undesirable light orange. I have never really had this problem before and I'm not sure what to do.

I would like for my hair to be blonde but not a bleached blonde look. In the past using self coloring on top of old highlights and other things have given nice shades of light and dark blonde. Now I don't know what to do.

Can a professional stylist help me or am I stuck with orange hair forever?? If so what is my best bet on things to ask for. At this point I'm not sure how much highlights would help me but I don't know what to do. Or... how long will it take to fade (yes it was a permanant color and not a temporary one)?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!!

Kerri
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 12:12pm
Kerri, get thee to a salon! :-) In all seriousness, I committed the same "stupid classic mistake" (how true) two years ago and my hair was crossing-guard orange. Additional chemical/color processes will do further damage to your hair, it's true, but you won't have to live with the unnatural color. I strongly suggest a vist to the salon, as it is well justified in this case. Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kerri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 12:34pm
Lyris... Thanks so much for your advice. I'm sorry that the same thing happened to you but I'm glad to know that it can be "fixed."

So what was the solution to your problem? I guess I'm just not sure what to ask for when I go to the salon and I'm really scared of them doing more damage to it. Granted this shouldn't happen at a reputable salon but still I'm a little skiddish at this point. :)

Thanks again!
Kerri
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 2:05pm
I had my hair permanently dyed to match my natural color. And yes, it was (and still is) much drier than it was in pre-disaster days, but at least it matches my hair. I have shoulder-length hair and the last couple of inches are still damaged...so when that grows out I'll be free of my wretched mistake. I understand your hesitation with going to a salon--I feel that way myself sometimes. But the stylist will ultimately be responsible for your hair, which is much better than you and a box of dye duking it out in the bathroom. If something goes awry at home, there's no one else to blame except yourself. Professional colorists want you to be happy with the end result (as it showcases their work) and if something bad happens, most will fix it. I hope this helps Kerri!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2003 at 2:42pm
Hi Kerri, I'm with Lyris all the way.

Correcting color isn't so cut and dry...the answer to fixing your hair is 99% of the time different from what was done to correct Lyris' hair.

The key here is always having a good back-up team.
I read so many hair disasters on this board and what's even more distressing is that, so many of you have obviously had a bad experience at a salon in your past, so therefore your gun-shy. I can understand this reaction, but.....What if you had a Salon or great Colorist in your address book that you could turn to when you needed them.

When your car breaks you have your guy. He's the one you trust to take your car apart and put it back together. He's good with your model car, and most likely he's not cheep. The same goes for the other businesses and professional people that you turn to when it's necessary.

All I'm suggesting is that there are times when you need a great Stylist or in times of GREAT need, a Colorist...Someone with specialized knowledge about what it takes to fix a multitude of different haircolor disasters. You might have to spend some time doing your homework, to find just the right Person for you. And their rates to correct color are usually not cheep, either. But if you find that right person, it can be Soooo great for you and maybe not as expensive as you think. If you see someone in the grocery store with a great Highlight, a highlight just like what you would like, go up to them, ask them, who does your hair. It's the best way to find a great Stylist.

Haircolor is not an exact science, every head, every hair, is different and I know that the OTC color companies have spent millions of advertising dollars to convince all of you HOW EASY IT IS. It's most times, not easy.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 12:38pm
My daughter did this about a year ago. She turned Ronald McDonald red. We went to a salon specializing in color correction the very next day (they loved a challenge) and it took them five or six hours to take her to a rich reddish brown which she liked but everyone else wanted her blonde again. So a couple of months later she got blonde highlights and it looked fantastic!! With very little damage. She is very blonde now and pretty happy I think.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic