Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All over color vs. highlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All over color vs. highlights
    Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:13pm
I have a question. I have had highlights for about the last 25 years. I have a short, straight (fine, thin) bob. I am thinking of going to all over color rather than highlights. Everyone has always steered me away from that but I am sick of paying $200 every six weeks due to the roots showing. They told me that it would be $50 every four weeks for all over color so do the math. My question is, has anyone ever done that and did you like it better or not? My daughter just switched from highlights to all over color and I must say that is looks fantastic but I haven't seen it with two week's worth of growth yet either. I would appreciate any advise. I have also heard it makes hair thicker which would be a nice plus (highlights do not have that affect for me).
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 11:00pm
I must say that I don't have a lot of knowledge about coloring but thought I would give my point of view. Generally, I like highlights better but some of the new overall coloring processes seem to have slight variations which adds to the depth and provides contrast. I would say go for it - if you don't like it you can color back to original color and then start the highlights over again (I think)
Ramona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 5:56pm
It depends on what your natural color is. I have found that generally one process looks better on dark hair provided you only go 3 shades or less lighter. There tends to be too much contrast in my opinion what you put highlights on dark hair. Highlights look better on light brown to dark blonde hair. You are only supposed to have to touch up highlights three times a year or so not every six weeks. If you have to touch up every six weeks, the highlights your stylist is using may be too light for your hair. There is new technique where stylists insted of using bleach for the highlights paint on permanent color only 2 to 3 shades lighter than your base color, for example a caramel brown for dark brunettes. That way it looks more natural and you don't have to touch up as often.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 9:01am
My hair is mousy brown and I have highlighted for over 20 years. I think there is probably some gray in there now too but not enough yet to make the root problem less noticable. I like it to be pretty blonde but not exactly platinum. It just seems to me that it starts looking greasy after just a few weeks and that is because all the underneath brown comes through. I seen the balayage (I think this is how you spell that painting method) done at Siggers in Atlanta but it wasn't for me. I guess I might try the all over color and see what happens. I have some friends who always look pretty good and it seems like it doesn't take too long to do touchups.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 3:43pm
What the heck...
Worse come to worse you can go in and just have some low lights put back in Demo, If you don't like it.

Of couse you know I'm going to recommend going to the Colorist for this.

That being said, you have had all kinds of Highlights over the years, so maybe this would be fun.

It woud give you a little more texture, which would be GOOD.

Finding the perfect shade of blonde will be important. You don't want to completely wash out your skin??

Your roots will be a constant thing to contend with, even a little more than the highlights used to be.

I don't know what do you think???
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 1:26pm
Thanks Sophie. I am a firm believer that most things dealing with hair should be done in the salon so I would definitely let my stylist handle this. I think he will probably try to talk me out of it but I am really thinking that I will save money since all over color is just a fraction of what he charges for highlights and I have to get them at least every six weeks. I would also love to have some added texture too since my hair is baby fine and thin. I am waiting to see how the root situation on my daughter works out before I make the final decision though. She just did the switch and her hair looks beautiful. But if a line appears real quickly I might have to think twice.
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 2:44pm
You will have "roots" no matter which way you go.

I used L'Oreal's Open, Osiris. It's a shade lighter than my natural color. Someday I will use it again, because my hair was so pretty with my natural color blending with the color.

It's a soft permanent, meaning that it will blend and fade so that the line of demarcation isn't as evident. I personally liked that.

I am giving my hair a rest with only occasional touch ups with Natural Instincts. But there is always the new growth that is not the same as what came out of the box.

I have to use something to keep the "mouseyness" out and the brightness in.

Also, I too have baby fine hair... with lots of body, though. Coloring it has not made it thicker, it's still baby fine. My concern is that when I do color it, whether I use permanent or semi-permanent, I do lose more hair after the treatment. So there is an exchange I am making... less hair that perhaps feels thicker, when I know it's not.

Have fun and stay wise on this.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 2:51pm
Wittils, you are so lucky to have pretty natural highlights. When was the last time you used Natural Instincts? You used the Navajo Bronze, correct? Do you have any grey yet? If so, how does the N.I. work out for you?

I am finding with my mixture of NI Hazelnut + Cinnamon Stick, the greys at my temples are coming out too red.
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 10:14am
Well, yesterday I did the all over color and I like it! My son asked me where all the black went when I got home. My stylist actually even said this might be a better option for me since I seem to be going gray quickly. I hope I continue to like it.
mjski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2003 at 6:57pm
An all over color with highlights added looks great. Remember they are not gray hairs, they are 'artic blonde'
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2003 at 7:31pm
'artic blonde!!! ....I love that.... I hate the Grey word...I have been saying natural highlights...ButI'm going to say 'Artic Blonde from now on.

Oh Yeah, Demodoll, I'm so glad your all over color worked out, what fun!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 5:16am
Demodoll,

I'd love to see some before and after pics of these color schemes of yours we've been discussing. Any chance of that? Thanks!

Elissa
[/url]

claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 9:45am

artic blonde....
very politcally correct
ARGHH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic