Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help, brown red now orange!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
basic_impressions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basic_impressions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help, brown red now orange!!
    Posted: April 26 2003 at 10:45pm
Okay here is my problem, I have been dying my hair for as long as I can remember and I have been using Clairol Herbal Essences prettymuch since it came out. I am a brunette with natural red highlights and I've enver had a problem dying my hair before. Well for some gawd awful reason I just dyed my hair tonight and my beautiful brown hair is now so orange that it's not even funny. Cany anyone offer any help on how to fix this at home without have to spend the money to go to a salon. And if it does come down to going to a salon, can anyone give me an idea of how much a $8.00 bottle of hair dye is going to cost me to get it fixed?? Please Help me!!!!

Michelle
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 12:46am
Did you use the same color that you normally use? If so, the product may have been packaged wrong, It sounds like to me they put too strong of a developer in it.

Let me know what you used and maybe I can help.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
basic_impressions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basic_impressions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 4:02am
I used Clairol Herbal Essence the color was #45 Brilliant Sienna, and yes it's the same color I've always used and never had any problem with it. I actually am still getting color out of my hair by washing it!! I washed it 3 times and it is still comming out, it's not as orange but its extremly red/orange type color.

Michelle
ForeverH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForeverH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 2:23pm
Here's where we hairdressers get to explain through experience, why these products can and do continue to be a problem. Clairol has an institute not far from where I live and I have been there many times. From the mouth of the horses themselves this is what you need to know about home haircoloring.

They use bottom of the barrel pigments that they either bungled in production or let sit too long. This is not only common but an almost every day occurance. With vats and vats of this guck available for something...They strand test it, issue it to the "home" department with the results, and package it to the box where it's sent to you...under a false pretense that the color was made to be "special" for that brand. To add insult to injury...they have makeshift "kitchens" where they take average Joe's off the street...tell them to color their hair however they do it at home. (For free mind you..so who's gonna say no?). That's why there are some variances in the color each time you use it. It might be close to same..but not perfectly the same.

Here comes the good bad and ugly of what you're asking. NOW is the crucial time to hit up a stylist. If you try to remedy this yourself you risk turning black...or worse...because after making THAT mistake you will be charged a fortune to strip and recolor only to find that all that money and effort was wasted when you wash your hair just once and it all faded to a muddy weird looking brown. Color adds to color, but color will not remove color.

Hopefully a stylist will only have to readjust the tone of your hair. That is a one process easy color fix that does not reverse itself AND does not cost a small fortune. Although it is a corrective procedure because there is already an existing pigment, it is easy because it only requires shifting the unwanted red to a more desirable shade. While stripping and starting over requires considerable time with a guarantee that the results are very temporary.

There are professional only color removers on the market that strip the haircolor only, but as I understand it...They don't work well for home haircolors...We haven't heard why as of yet.

Your question as to how much it will cost will vary by salon. If your hair is long you can expect to pay between $50-$100....more for really long...less for short. Call around and see what salons have to say.

At this stage you are lucky. Any attempts to fix it yourself will result in double the amounts I've given you if you should turn a wild shade of brown or black or who knows what.

Sorry this is so long! but I thought it was important that you understand, and not just throw an answer at you. Now you know what you're in for and can make your decision armed with knowledge :)

Heide
I am a hairstylist of 14 years. I am
amazed at how much education you
can get, and never stop learning.
The more you know the more there
is to know!
cara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2003 at 8:49am
To Heide: Sounds pretty scary what you said about home haircolor products - are they really all that bad? I've been using them for years(Clairol Ultress, Natural Instincts, L'Oreal Preference, L'Oreal Excellence, L'Oreal Open, at differing times over the years that I've colored my hair) Also, are the colors available at Sally's beauty supply any different/better than the drugstore box colors, in quality? TIA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic