Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dying Bleached Hair Back to Brown??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BrianCB8 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianCB8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dying Bleached Hair Back to Brown??
    Posted: October 26 2004 at 1:37am
I got crazy one day and decided to bleach my hair blonde. It worked well and it was like WHITE platinum blonde. I liked it for a week, but now I am ready to go back to my natural color. I bleached my hair two weeks ago, so do I have to wait longer before I can dye it brown? I would like to dye it dark brown again, so any recommendations on what I should buy? there is a sally''''s beauty supply near my place. what volume developer do you buy to darken, obviously not 40 vol like for bleach right? Any help is appreciated
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 2:54am
Waiting isn't necessary. Your hair won't get any healthier with the passage of time (unless you wait for it to grow out).

I recently coloured my bleached (pale yellow) hair brown with a permanent product. I wouldn't recommend it. I regret not using a semi-perm., because this isn't the colour I was aiming for. It is also fading rapidly. Three weeks ago it was walnut; now it's light golden brown. I'm afraid it's going to fade to orange, but I don't want to put any more ammonia on my hair at this point.

If your hair was bleached to the white stage, you've probably done some damage. Have you experienced any breakage? You would probably be better off with a toner at this point because it will be less damaging than a product with ammonia in it.

I think your safest option would be something like Clairol Creme Toner. It's usually best to use a toner on bleached hair. It may fade quickly (unless your hair is very porous) so you will need to re-apply every 3 weeks or so. Permanent hair colour (with ammonia) can have unpredictable results on bleached hair and could cause further damage. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you do a strand test first. If you choose a permanent colour I would suggest letting the strand process, rinsing off excess colour and then waiting 2-3 days to see if there is any breakage.

Someone with more expertise may have some different suggestions for you.

Good luck.

P.S. I just thought of another option (this one's my favourite). You could use a demi-permanent -- Clairol Complements. It may actually become permanent on bleached hair.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
BrianCB8 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianCB8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 11:45pm
So am I kind of stuck? Should I just fork over the money to get it done professionally? And yes I did have lots of damgage, especially at first with some of the ends falling off when I towel dried my hair. I mean my hair was so soft and brittle I couldn't scracth my head while shampooing in the shower lol. Will dying it brown again restore it a little bit and make it more healthy? And can you buy a dark brown toner that will work on bleached hair, I thought toners for bleached hair just removed the yellow? I almost even wanted to go black but I hear black dye on bleached hair=green lol. Thanks for the help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 10:28pm
Forking over the dough is always an option. If you do decide to go this route, make sure you find someone who specializes in colour correction -- you don't need any more damage.

I don't think you're stuck though. I mentioned Creme Toner when I meant Natural Instincts. You could use Natural Instincts (semi-permanent). It is sometimes used to tone bleached hair but it comes in dark colours too. It's very gentle and shouldn't do much more damage to your hair. I find it actually makes my hair feel softer. Just make sure you do a test strand first. I've found that Natural Instincts tends to come out much warmer than the colour shown on the box. That's just me; your results may be different. The packaging says that the colour will last about 28 shampoos; it may last longer on your hair because it's damaged. It's hard to know -- sometimes porosity will make it fade faster. It's hard to predict. Anyway, that's one option. You can buy it at most drugstores and supermarkets. It's really cheap too.

Good luck.

P.S. If you want to use a permanent colour, you may be able to. Do a test strand first -- to make sure you get the colour you're aiming for. Then, leave the strand for 2 to 3 days and check it for breakage. If the hair gets elastic-y or breaks, you'll know that your hair won't withstand the additional damage of a permanent colour. If the strand looks okay, then you may be fine with one application of a permanent colour. I would definitely stick with a 20 vol. toner, though -- nothing higher -- you don't need any lightening and you don't need the additional damage.

claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 11:34am
oooh i still think semi perms are best. it still can be washed out or not but at least it is a lot gentle then permanents
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 3:40pm
I agree with you Claribuzz. Semi-perms are always my first choice for avoiding damage. Is it just me, or have you ever found your hair feeling healthier AFTER using a semi-permanent?
BrianCB8 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianCB8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 3:57am
THANKS for all the help!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic