Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

remove burgundy red tone?Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remove burgundy red tone?Thanks
    Posted: March 02 2005 at 2:51pm
Sorry for the long post, I've read some old threads but still need advice! My hair is medium brown ( it has a lot of red undertones and just a little bit of blond undertones so the overall effect in the sunlight is lots of orangey highlights.) Started to get grey hairs so decided to try Loreal Casting. Tried medium brown (cocoa) first but it turned the highlights an unnatural purplish-red color! and overall was too dark. I waited until all traces of that were gone and tried medium golden brown (tawny). The highlights are better (golden for the grey hairs and golden orangey for the highlights). Problem is that the 90 to 95% of my hair that usually looks plain brown now has an unnatural looking burgundy red tone to it. Read here that an ash brown color would cancel out any red but worried that it will turn the grey hairs and highlights greenish. Instead of ash brown should I try light brown (mocha) instead or will that give me the burgundy tones again? Wait until this color is mostly gone to color again? How to get just a natural medium brown color? Thanks so much!
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 4:38pm
using an ash over it will not turn your hair green..Soetimes using an ash color will turn some people green, say for instance, bleached blondes going brunette. So to cancel out the green, you would use a red over it. And viceversa(As in your case)...You have to understand color theory...Look up a picture of a color wheel...Whatever color you may turn out can be cancelled out by the color directly opposite. I would probably reccomend you go for a neutral based color though, because of the fact you have so many different colors in it. With a neutral base- it has a mixture of all the different tones(blue, red, etc) and can hopefully even it out a bit for you without causing more problems.
Sara
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 5:59pm
Thank you for your advice! Since Colorspa is a semi-permanent I'm going to wait for the color to fade then try a color with the neutral tones you mentioned instead. Thanks again.
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:00pm
Thank you for your advice! Since Colorspa is a semi-permanent I'm going to wait for the color to fade then try a color with the neutral tones you mentioned instead. Thanks again!
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:01pm
Thank you for your advice! Since Colorspa is a semi-permanent I'm going to wait for the color to fade then try a color with the neutral tones you mentioned instead. Thanks again!
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:02pm
sg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 6:15pm
Had a hard time replying, got a message on the computer that it timed-out so it posted the reply too many times. I've always wondered why sometimes there are duplicate posts on a forum... Will write back when I try another color in 3 to 4 weeks (my hair is too dry so am going to let it fade naturally), maybe it might help someone else with a similar hair color problem. Thanks again!
MochaNova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MochaNova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 12:21pm
Clairol Shimmerlights...

When I dyed my hair it always faded to orange (it is brown). I went to Sally's Beauty supply or any drug store and found out about Clairol Shimmerlights...

It is called a toner shampoo. If you want to get rid of reds/oranges, I recommend the purple blend for ash toning.
-Nova
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic