Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Samantha~Jane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samantha~Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shrinkies...
    Posted: December 22 2004 at 5:26am
Hi all i'm new here, although i've been reading alot of the pages, which is really useful!
I'm new to using shrinkies, hair extentions is rare where i am!
I was wondering, I have straight dark hair.. if i were to use shrinkies to apply light brown wavy human hair... will it blend in ok? also what is pre-tipped hair?
i was just curious, thanks!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 5:37am
Please read my first review of shrinkies back in October here:

http://www.enhancementmedia.com/cgi-bin/beauty/index.cgi?noframes;read=59382

I have photo links in that post that show what shrinkies look like up close in both blonde and brown hair.

The only thing I would amend to that post now is that the "fusion" glue on the inside of the shrinkie does come out with acetone and vegetable oil. I will not say all the residue comes out with the oil because sometimes I have more coating on my strand than others.

I think any extension application can have a downside. The shrinkie residue is that applications only fault, imo. I rarely have to take the time to work it out though because I usually put a strand right back in the same spot. How can I do that? Because I still have all my hair and it's not broken. Yay!
Krystee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krystee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 10:27am
Hi AMM,

How long does it take you to do a full head? And how long do you have to apply the heat clamp for? Do you think this would work with Monofibre the same way as with Human Hair?
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 4:13am
I'd just like to add that I tried shrinkies for the first time last night, just put a couple in my hair and I thought WOW these are absolutely fantastic, I used a pre-bonded extension and they just grabbed it !!!
Jenn_RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenn_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 4:53am
Excellent news. Did you use the kind from Doc Locks? Which prebonded hair did you use? Are you finding that the they're smaller and less noticable that other methods? Any tips you'd like to share? Congratulations!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 5:44am
Yes I used the kind from Dr Locs, they are fantastic, I couldn't believe how well they shrank and how small and undetectable they are. I have used and had glue methods and micro-rings and haven't thought much to either of them especially the micro-rings I thought they were terrible things and so uncomfortable to wear but these shrinkies are ace. You can hardly see them and they shrink to the colour of the hair you put in as well, they are so small but effective. I made my own pre-bonded hair using the liquid gold glue. I couldn't wait to use my shrinkies till my fusion wand came so I just used my normal ceramic straighteners and they worked a treat. I've had these shrinkies in for nearly a week now and they are as they were put in, I've used intensive conditioner, straighteners and hairdryer and they haven't budged xxx
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 10:03am
Amanda, that's great! Just wait until it's time to remove them and there's no damage. Yippee!

After you reheat the shrinkie to remove it, don't try acetone at first. Try straight vegetable oil and wrap it around the hair strand to gently work it out.

I tried olive oil and it doesn't work. Apparantly it's not gritty enough like veg oil is.

Again, congrats!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 10:55am
Thanks ever so much for the advice. I've just ordered a full head of bohyme hair colour 613 for my first shrinkie client, I'm going to prebond it myself. She can't wait. SHRINKIE HEAVEN XX
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 11:54am
I have been using the original 'shrinkie' system called Shrink Links. Shrink Links, (previously known as 'Toobz' or 'Elegant Additions') was invented and patented by Mark Barrington Concepts, Inc over 10 years ago. The Dr. Locks method is a copycat, and Mark Barrington has contacted them regarding patent infringement.

I like the Shrink Link method, but they also leave a lot of sticky residue in the hair and it is hard to get out. I have been using a product called "Take Down" which is a oily substance used to remove hair extension residue and it works good. The only remaining problem is that it is hard to get the oil out of the hair, which you must do before you can reapply.

I would caution anyone against reapplying the Shrinkie over hair that you have not got all the residue off of or brushed out the fallen, naturally shed hair because you could get massive matting problems in the future.

Conparing the two systems, I like the Mark Barrington Shrink Links better than the Dr. Locks' Shrinkies. I think the Shrink Link Shrinks down much better ( I have tried both systems)

The Shrink Links system is only sold to professionally licensed cosmetologists, and I think you have to take a class to become certified.

see the website at www.markbarrington.com

I am not affliated with the company, I have only used their product (and worn it myself) for several years.

Good luck!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:35pm
I looked at the Mark Barrington site and there is the tm symbol after shrinklinks which means trademark. I did a patent search for shrinklinks and there is none, nor is there one pending. Dr. Locks is fine with what they're doing because they have not called their product the same thing. It's similar to Kleenex. Other companies can make facial tissues that look and feel exactly like Kleenex... they just can't call them Kleenex.

Unfortunatley the Mark Barrington shrinklinks are not available online for purchase. Clear, dual wall tubing and shrinkies are and I for one am grateful.

Why does someone need to be profesionally licensed to use these? Certification is overrated. There's enough former Hairlocs wearers in this crowd that can tell you a "certificate" isn't worth the paper it's printed on sometimes.

Perhaps Mark Barrington will make his shrinklinks available on the market? That would sure be nice. I mean, what's the big holdout here?

Reapplying shrinkies over a hair strand that is still holding residue from a previous shrinkie is fine. It's all about common sense. If you're wearing a strand for a week and it falls out, just reapply -- if you're doing a maintenance after there's been enough time for shedding and matting to start, remove the residue and get the shed hair out.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:37pm
PS:

metalgirl,

What's inside Barrington's shrinklinks? Do you know what the coating is?
Blondie_911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie_911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 1:19pm
I have to agree with amm: Certification is WAY overrated (two "certified" extensionists ruined my hair way worse than I possibly ever could). I hadn't heard about any patent violation, but I really doubt the Mark Barrington people have much of a case. Even if they do hold the patent, these sorts of products are all rip-offs of one another (fusion, links, Shrinks, and so on), and there are probably enough differences between it and the Doc Locks version that it wouldn't be a problem. I don't see any reason why a product like this wouldn't be available for home use--God knows there are much more damaging products any 13-year-old with an Internet connection can get.

The Take Down product sounds interesting. Is that available for home use? What are the major ingredients?

Blondie_911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie_911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 1:21pm
I just re-read the thread. A trademark is definitely not the same thing as a patent, so if they've only trademarked it, I don't see how it could be a problem.
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 6:37pm
Has anyone tried shrinkies with human hair? I was wondering if the bonded extensions would slip out of the shrinkie.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 6:42pm
Amm uses human hair, so all of her comments above and on various threads apply to human.
commonpleasure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 7:38pm
hi there!

my roommate has been reading your site and referred me to you...and i have to say WOWOOWOWOWOWOWOW! what a wealth of information!

anyway, i am all over begging my friend to put in shrinkies for me (and likely my roomie too---we''re both sort of donkeys when it comes to hairstyling or i''d do it myself. oh gad, i can only imagine if i did them myself!), but i am baffled by just how MUCH hair i need to purchase. i''ve been looking at the ebonyonline and the superhair...something (i can''t remember already lol) sites that i believe AMM recommended....remy and boheme hair. i have chin length hair and really need maybe 3/4 of a head done---as i think that the way my hair falls would look pretty cool....like intentional layers.

it looks like you can buy 4oz wefts. which means nothing at all to me . how much do y''all recommend i purchase?

i''ve also seen afropuffs'' recommendations about finding cheaper places to buy shrinkies, but being so new to it, i''m a little leery (not that more $ is better-- i spent an ***load much on my last set of extensions and they sucked). also, i have a pretty decent flatiron, will that do to apply them?

whoa. lots of questions. thank you so much for getting thru all that.

kelly

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 7:47pm
Hi Kelly,

I'd think that you'd need at least three of those wefts (or 200 pretipped strands) to be safe, but I'm not the best at figuring out the ounces.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 8:48pm
You have chin length hair, you say. How long do you want it to be with extensions? The longer the hair, the shorter the weft will be because of the extra weight in the length. A 10" weft is about 100 feet long. Heehee, I exaggerate on that, but it's pretty darn long.

As a reference, the picture of my hair below is about 22" - 24" and 5 oz in weight which is a little over one weft.

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 8:58pm
omg Amm you have beautiful hair!! What type do you have in right now? I know I read you have a few differnt kinds but just wondering where you buy it and how you make it. What would we do without you on this board.
commonpleasure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commonpleasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 9:06pm
first of all, holy craptastic your hair is gorgeous AMM!!

well, my friend has agreed to this, so now i just need to decide on hair. as for length, i'd like it maybe to where the bra strap turns into bra. how's that for a description LOLOLOLOL.

i have and want to keep it straight..i've found the silky straight boheyme for $60 for 4oz online...but locally, $100 will get me this: Weight of each extension is 1/4 th of a pound and the length of the weft is 60-70 inches.

how long will it take to ship the shrinkies? i'm such an instant gratification ******. i want it NOW!!

kelly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic