Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

clip-on hair extensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Paulina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clip-on hair extensions
    Posted: December 22 2004 at 9:14pm
I want to get human hair clip-on extensions, but I want to know if it's worth it. Any opinions? I am dying to try them but, I am also concerned. Please, share your opinions.
PINA
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 2:50am
Many people have had good results with clips. Are you planning on making them yourself? How long is your natural hair? How long do you want the extensions to be?

Jenn_RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenn_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 5:09am
Clip-ins can work really well or badly, depending on a few factors. All in all, it's a less risky process than getting actual extensions, although some women experience damage from clips-ins (usually women with fine hair who wear them repeatedly in the same spots). Generally, I think you need to have a good amount of healthy hair to pull off clips, but if you do, they can look great.

What's your real hair like (straight/curly, thick/thin, fine/coarse, color processed/straightened, etc.)? And (as Kristin said), what how long do you want them to be? Is there a particular brand you have in mind?

If you're not sure whether you'll like them or not, you may want to start by buying some synthetic ones first--that way, you can get an idea without investing so much money. There are synth clip-ins on eBay for $10 or $15 dollars, or you can get them from any wig site. I've bought tons of falls and clip-on ponytails over the years--some look great, and some are horrible--but they've all been synthetic, so I don't feel too bad if they don't work out.

Good luck!
moonwillow830 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonwillow830 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 8:53am
I just got clip in extensions and I LOVE them! I can still have my medium shortish hair if I feel like it and I am not damaging my hair.
The only issue I have with them is that since my hair is shorter I can't really wear it any other way besides tucked behind my ears since my natural hair "sticks out" on the sides of my face. I'd love to be able to let it flow freely, but due to the shortness at my ears it looks stupid. I thought about having the hairdresser cut the extensions into a layered style and mark the extension pieces so that they go in the same place every time.

All in all though, they look great and I really like them.

~k
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 10:59am
I have worn clip ins (that I made myself so I could customize them to best fit my head) and I love them. My hair is baby fine and thin, so in order to give the clips something to hold on to, I part the hair where I want the weft clipped, back comb it and then spray over my back combing with a sticky hair spray like Aqua Net. By making a base, it gives something for the clips to hook into , and that is the only way they will stay securely in fine, thin hair.

Now the draw backs:

They are not as comfortable as other extension methods that I have worn. Sometimes the clips will pull on some hairs and cause tenderness on my scalp.

Being a wefted method, it is bulkier than strand extensions.

Never sleep with them in! First of all it would be uncomfortable, but as stated in the previous post, the clips can cause baldness if they are worn 24/7.

I have worn clip in's for 3 years now, and over all I love them because when I don't want to have all that hair on (like for exercising) I just take it off. I wear them 5 days a week when I go to work, and then usually give my head a break on the weekend when I'm not going anywhere that I need to look good.

On my website you can see a picture of me with my clip-ins on (a before and after) it's on the 'about me' page.
www.MetamorphosisHairDesign.com

Good luck!
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 12:00pm
Here's a link that show's how to make your own Clip on's. Click on the link that says "Make your own extensions"

http://notjustwigs.com/haircare_demos.cfm

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 12:22pm
That's a great link, AfroPuffs--thanks!
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2004 at 12:23pm
AfroPuffs: I've never seen that link before... It's great! Thanks!
Paulina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 4:36pm
Hi Guys- Thanks for reply.
My hair is fine, straight, color treated (copper red), and they extend almost to my armpits. I want to extend them maybe 5 or 6 inches, but my main goal is to make my hair look fuller. I was thinking to get EaiXtend or Instant Hair brand, because I am not sure how to do my own extensions. Can I just buy real hair and add clips myself?
Synthetic hair however, are not working for me. I tried them, they looked fine but not for long. Besides, my hair color is hard to match- and I can''''''''t color synth hair.

PINA
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 5:04pm
Sure, you can order hair and do your own clips, following the instructions outlined in the link above.

I've never really used clip-ins, but EasiExtend and Instant Hair look good; Jon Renau and Look of Love both have good reputations. I've bought falls from these vendors in the past, and they've been fine.

If you want to buy human hair wefts for clips, there's lots of information on these boards about which brands to buy and which to avoid.

Good luck!
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2005 at 9:18pm
I think I am just going to stick with the clip-in type extension since I have had really good results with this type in the past. I am going to try the remi bodywave from Bohyme in the hand tied and make the clip extension myself being I only need it on the lower part of my head.
Paulina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 6:36pm
Hi.
I did some research on Ebay and I found some good deals on clip-on extentions. Did anybody knows the quality?
-Paulina
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 6:39pm
It's hard to say, without seeing a link. Just post the link here, and I'll tell you if I'm familiar with that brand.
Paulina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 8:09pm
Here are the pages:

Edited by Administrator - July 02 2012 at 3:38pm
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 8:34pm
LOL! Love that site where it says "Free expert consultation over the phone." That part is funny.

Look at feedback on the ebay product and ensure the comments are related to what you're interested in. If you have an ebay account, you can email people who left the feedback and ask them how they are liking their clip-ins. Introduce yourself as someone who is interested in that product and ask how they like it now. Now that they've had a chance to wear them a bit, you may be surprised as to what they really think of them.

Also, write to the person who is selling them and ask for the weight of the hair that's on the clip in. If they don't know, that could be one of many reasons to avoid them.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 8:35pm
PS - I'd just like to add that clip-ins, drawstring ponytails and claw style add-ins are a great way to experiment with instant volume and length.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 8:47pm
I agree. I wore claw-clip ponytails for like 6 months once every day. I loved them and got compliments all the time (of course, they were like 30 inches long and superheavy, so I had to stop wearing them so much...). I'd be cautiously optimistic about these sellers; their feeback is quite good.
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:07am
Hi there folks, I have just recently purchased some european hair from a girl on ebay called sarah4hair its weighed 4oz and was 18in, I bought some clips and made my own. I have worn them a few times and washed them and they are fine. They cost less than £50.00, I think they are well worth it but I wouldn't dare go nightclubbing in them as my hair is quite fine and I would be frightened of them falling out xx
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 12:11pm
This is what you need to do so your clip in's won't come out when you're dancing:

part the hair where you want to clip in the weft.

spray a cheap super hold hair spray like Aquanet all along that part line you made. Take a fine tooth comb or a brush and tease all long your part line, so you make a bit of a matted 'base' to hook the clips into.

I hit the hair sprayed teases hair with the blow dryer for a few seconds (to really harded the spray) and then clip my weft in.

It works great. I have the crappiest, most baby fine, thin hair and it holds well for me. I have been wearing clip ins on a daily basis for about 4 years. I am a stylist, and in the past have supplemented my income by working as a topless dancer at night, and I always wore my clip in hair without feeling like they were going to come off.

Girl, go dancing and feel free to shake that glorious mane!
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 5:14am
Hi there thanks for the advice, sounds like a good idea xxxxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic