Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

will acetone damage hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
patty View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will acetone damage hair?
    Posted: January 08 2005 at 4:30pm
hey I was wondering if the spraying of the acetone is the only way to get the extension out and also will it damage the hair?
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 5:05pm
Acetone is what seems to work for removing fusion extensions and any of the extensions that leave any type of keratin glue/residue in your natural hair. I also use it to remove some bonding glue also, although bonding glue can be removed with oil type removers. I have read concerns about acetone causing damage, especially to fine, thin, brittle or damaged hair. My hair is all of those things and Ive never experienced any more damage than what I already do to it from all the other things that I SHOULDNT do to my hair! I havent heard of much else that can be used to remove fusion/keratin glue...except the other day, I heard that Bacardi 151 rum works too! HEHEHE
juliejetson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliejetson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 5:12pm
Baby oil also works on some glued in extensions. I even heard you can mix it with the acetone.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 8:16pm
patty, what kind of extension are you trying to remove?
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 7:04am
Acetone can't be good for your hair, but it's the damage of the glue itself that you really need to worry about. The acetone's really only on the hair for a short time; I would make sure to do a deep-conditioning treatment afterward because it is very drying.

Strangely, I've had more luck removing glue/Keratin extensions with oil than acetone. I never really felt the acetone broke down the bonds enough (this was with Cinderella and Great Lengths), but maybe I was doing something wrong....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic