Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Magnets & Other Scoops
    Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:51am
Hi all,

It was recently brought to my attention that it would be helpful to make some of the existing threads on this board "sticky" so that newbies could see all the appropriate info w/out starting all new threads.

I have taken the liberty to start this process by making one of really great threads with all the links as a magnet to float to the top. I have also closed the thread to prevent it from being tampered with by any passing trolls or spammers etc.,

We will be reading all the threads on this board over the next week. However, if any of you have suggestions on threads that need to be edited, magnetized or deleted completely, we are open to your suggestions. Please email me at shelton@hairboutique.com and I will make sure one of the HB Admin people take a look at all your suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your wonderful suggestions. This is a great board and we will do our best to help eliminate any problem posts.

Please also note that we are currently testing new board software that is the latest upgrade to this type of forum and offers new features including individiaul user polls. We will be looking to add the new HairTalk software upgrade in the next 2 weeks or so...depending on how our testing goes. We will do our best to try and avoid any disruption of the existing boards and will attempt to upgrade at the least busy times of the day.

Best wishes,
Karen
HairBoutique.com
shelton@hairboutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:55am
Brilliant idea, thank you very much xx
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 7:23am
Thank You so much that is exactly what we needed. Although sometimes new information, methods, techniques needs to be added to the existing magnet so will there be a way or can someone be made a moderator or something so someone has the ability to make the necessary changes, deletions or additions?
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 7:24am
Also here is another thread that would be very helpful to make a magnet
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=2549
Aeone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 7:43am
Hey Karen!

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to help us out, we appreciate it! :)

~~Aeone
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:14pm
Thanks Karen,

I think it will be very helpful to magnet certain threads now and then.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say that this board have improved dramatically in the past few months--basically since October. Before that time, it was mostly comapanies and salons peddling their products, but since it's become a valuable resource of information from professionals, DIYers, experts, beginners, and everyone in between.

The "good" content, imo, goes back to about page 17 or so. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to that content as the new threads push it back. Will we be able to access these via an archive or something?

Beyond that, will this new upgrade include any features that will enable us to categorize content. For example, "Reviews of Hair Sellers," "Reviews of Extensionists," "ShowOffs," "Resources," "Techniques," "Other," "Help," etc.?

Anyway, those are just a few ideas. I'm not sure what your platform has in terms of capabilities, but magneting threads is a great start.

Thanks again, Karen! :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:21pm
Oh, I forgot: Will I be able to access the original 101 thread you've magneted above so I can edit the links every so often? Occassionally, these companies replatform (Doc Locks did the other day) so the links have to be updated accordingly Also, when we receive several good or bad feedbacks about a seller or product, it would be nice to add or remove the corresponding links as needed.

Plus, I've thought for a while that it might be helpful to have a master thread of FAQs that links to the various threads that deal with that issue.

For example, "What's better: human or synthetic hair?"
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
...and so forth.

I'd be happy to work with anyone who'd be interested in putting something like this together.

:)
Bridget View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 1:59pm
kewl!

Getting better everyday! That's great to hear!
It is what it is...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

Also here is another thread that would be very helpful to make a magnet
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=2549

Hi,

Thanks....Great idea. I have added a magnet.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

Thanks Karen,

I think it will be very helpful to magnet certain threads now and then.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say that this board have improved dramatically in the past few months--basically since October. Before that time, it was mostly comapanies and salons peddling their products, but since it's become a valuable resource of information from professionals, DIYers, experts, beginners, and everyone in between.

The "good" content, imo, goes back to about page 17 or so. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to that content as the new threads push it back. Will we be able to access these via an archive or something?

Beyond that, will this new upgrade include any features that will enable us to categorize content. For example, "Reviews of Hair Sellers," "Reviews of Extensionists," "ShowOffs," "Resources," "Techniques," "Other," "Help," etc.?

Anyway, those are just a few ideas. I'm not sure what your platform has in terms of capabilities, but magneting threads is a great start.

Thanks again, Karen! :)

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for all your ideas. I have talked to my IT guy about your questions. We have a couple of ways we can go.

One idea is for HB.com can start compiling all the info that you all want to keep into one main archive style of "info" thread that is locked and marked as "Read Only" so as to avoid trolls or spammers or advertisers and it can be temporarily unlocked when specifically requested to add or update the info such as various links.

There are other possibilities we can look at.

It will take the HB IT people 3 days to update all the databases to migrate to the new board software. They have already started the migration process which should be completed w/in the next 7-10 days....God willing and the creek don't rise.

I will think about ways that we can maintain the really great info and dump the bad stuff. Also, the HB Admin folks are reading all the boards, including this one, for past posts that need to be edited, deleted or locked.

Thank you for all your help.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com

Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:54pm

Oh, I forgot: Will I be able to access the original 101 thread you've magneted above so I can edit the links every so often? Occassionally, these companies replatform (Doc Locks did the other day) so the links have to be updated accordingly Also, when we receive several good or bad feedbacks about a seller or product, it would be nice to add or remove the corresponding links as needed.

Plus, I've thought for a while that it might be helpful to have a master thread of FAQs that links to the various threads that deal with that issue.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
...and so forth.

I'd be happy to work with anyone who'd be interested in putting something like this together.

Hi Jenny,

I will find a way for you to have the ability to edit and update. We may lock it but give you a way to go in and update as needed. I will definitely figure this out somehow.

Thanks so much.
Karen
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 2:54pm

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
...and so forth.

Hi Jenny,

I will find a way for you to have the ability to edit and update. We may lock it but give you a way to go in and update as needed. I will definitely figure this out somehow.

Thanks so much.
Karen
u2havefaith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 11:38pm
OH JENNY THIS IS AS GOOD AS HITTING THE JACKPOT. Thanks so much. I'm going to print it all out in case I have another blonde moment and loose it all. Bless you for all your efforts!!!
u2havefaith
u2havefaith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 11:46pm
By the way, FYI....Prohair were the synthetics that straightened out and is very heat sensitive. My friend loves them but she has straight hair.
u2havefaith
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 12:56pm
Hi everyone,

You can feel free to send me a board-mail if you want a thread set to a magnet, or if you feel a post should be deleted (and why), etc. I don't keep a close eye on this particular board but if you all can clue me in if something needs attention, I usually check b-mail at least once a day.

Thanks, and have a good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic