Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Synth hair that curls & looks like human. I HAVE FOUND IT!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synth hair that curls & looks like human. I HAVE FOUND IT!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 10:49am
OK I have found my sisterhood of the hair-obsessed. . . I have not MOVED from my chair here in 3 hours. . . Kristin, Jenny, AMM, sherrie. . .OK I'll stop now or I'll start crying. LOL. Anyway.

After further immersing myself I am just about decided that I am switching to shrinkies.

OK here's my question though. If I switch to synth hair do I still pretip it like I would human hair?? I'm going to use the liquid gold method so lovingly shared by either AMM or Kristin --

I will post pics.

Right now my hair is a WRECK -- I'll share it -- it's the remnants of my hairpiece extensions that I had to cut and I knew it was bad when my business partner told me she liked my hair because now I looked "like a mom" !!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK don't get me wrong I love being a mom but I wanna look like a rock star for all that $$ and time and hair love!!!

Fina

p.s. I just bought #27/613 and #4 of the WaWa from Hair Sisters. . .I can't wait for it to get here . . .
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 11:36am
FinaFina,
I am wearing pinchbraids.

(I am obsessed, too. My bf comes home and says, What are you doing? and I say, READING ABOUT HAIR!)
i love plastikhaar
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 11:57am
Hi FinaFina. I just want to add my 2 cents about shrinkies. I put almost a whole head on myself this last week, and am having massive shrinkie failure. I posted about this on another thread (Kristin & Hair Show). I think it's a combo of the fact that I put them in myself (hard to see back of head) and that they're tipped with LG. The LG is good cuz it really does keep the tip together, no shedding, but Kristin said she does her pretips with keratin glue which, when heated in the shrinkie, keeps the strand more secure. I've always been anti-glue, but now I see the point at least with pretips.
Just my latest finding. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!!
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 12:00pm
HMMM. . .OK. . .that's good info. . .I just ordered the Shrinkies starter kit from dr locks. I missed the part about Kristin preparing hers with keratin glue, I thought she did it with LG. Is there a post about the keratin glue prep??

uh oh I see a major mess coming on!! LOL

what I mean is do I need to get the glue pot, gun, etc. . .??

THANKS - Fina
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by FinaFina FinaFina wrote:

HMMM. . .OK. . .that's good info. . .I just ordered the Shrinkies starter kit from dr locks. I missed the part about Kristin preparing hers with keratin glue, I thought she did it with LG.

amm uses LG - and it's a good tip, don't get me wrong.

Quote s there a post about the keratin glue prep??
uh oh I see a major mess coming on!! LOL
what I mean is do I need to get the glue pot, gun, etc. . .??

don't know about that. I'm just going to get a gun and some glue sticks today and those finger condoms and just do the tips the same way as the LG ones. Shouldn't be any more of a mess than the LG way.

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:20pm
Day 2 of WA WA.

Still curled! Still smooth! I'd like to point out that if you try to touch it up with a curling iron, it goes straight. You need to start over with wet hair and then redo. It doesn't seem to do as well as the first time, though. Wonder how this hair would do with a steam roller? Hmmm.

While WA WA does curl, you can't get a real good barrel curl from it. It's more like a loose wave like I pictured. It's pretty cool but just want to point out that it is not as responsive as human hair. Just want to make sure I don't over-hype the stuff. I remain cautiously optimistic.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:23pm
Hey Amm I noticed too that the freetress or any other synthetic Ive experimented on takes a looser curl than human hair. So I think youd want to use a curling iron or rollers that are a few sizes smaller than youd use on human hair.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:28pm
Syren, you said you are having massive shrinkie failure? Whats happen girl? Why do you think its partly the LG tipping?
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:30pm
Yeah, I've been experimenting. I have an iron that's about the diameter of my finger and that's the one I used to get the curl that's pictured on this thread.

I also have a velvet flocked one that will probably be more gentle. The barrel might be a little too big, though. We'll see. It's fun to mix it up.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:34pm
re: glues. Don't be afraid to try all sorts of glue when it comes to pre-tipping. I just used something called Fabri-Tac that I got from a fabric store.

The LG most definitely can be messy and that damn brush they call an applicator is about the most useless thing. I use it as sort of a spoon just to get it out and then use a popsicle stick or the handle side of a plastic utensil to do the application.

I'm not sure what the failure is with LG. Is there shedding? Is it sticking to your own hair?
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:59pm
Amm I tried my velvet iron and it did nothing for the freetress that I have.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 3:05pm
Holy cow, I'm a way for a day, and it's the second coming of synthetic hair! That does look interesting, especially now that I have...straight hair! (I'm still giddy.) I no longer need to use human hair to match the texture.

I think the brand of thermofiber that Sherrie tried is the one that my Sally's is going to get this week or next. (I have shared my extension knowledge with the girls who work at my local--and apparently unusually large--Sally's, so now they tell me about new stuff I might find interesting.) Sherrie, I don't remember...was your main problem that the color was wrong?

And I agree with Amm about experimenting with glue. I've actually had good luck with cheapo latex glue coated with nail glue.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 3:11pm
Leia, yeah I cant use it because the 613 is way too platinum for my hair. I could use it for highlights, but so far Im not having alot of luck finding more blonde shades to use along with it. I read in one of these threads that the freetress did get some mixed reviews on BHM. I dont really know if this stuff would hold up for the long haul or not? But for as inexpensive as it is, its worth trying out some test strands!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 3:38pm
Sherrie, regarding my shrinkie failure: Just FYI, the LG tips do not shed hair at all. The hair stays in the strand just fine. It's the strand on the shrinkie that slides off of my own hair that is the problem. I can just slide them right out. My hair is silky and fine so there's that, plus there just aren't enough guts involved with the shrinkie to keep it attached to my hair. Kristin said that she tips her strands with keratin fusion glue so when it's heated up in the shrinkie, it adheres to the person's hair better than a tip coated with LG. Does that make sense? That's why I ordered Doc's glue gun and sticks today - the next batch of tips I make I'll do that way. Hopefully they'll stay in better.
I'm hesitant about using glue, but have been reading threads about removing keratin glue with the various stuff and I feel better about it. I don't think shrinkies will work for me otherwise.
Also FYI, microrings stay in much better on me, but I can feel their little metal jaws chewing my hair. Plus I'm having radiation treatments on my head starting next week and I can't have any metal, so they have to come out. But it was a good experiment to try them - they work well. Kind of a pain in the a**, tho, cuz they're so small and the tips have to be tiny.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 4:42pm
Syren, it sounds like the shrinkie is just not getting hot enough when you install them and probably arent shrinking down tight enough. If you were able to make micro rings work in your hair the shrinkies should work too. Did you use a heat wand or flatiron with the shrinkies? I have found that my flatiron works, but is more inconsistant in the time it takes to shrink and how well they shrink.
As far as the keratin tipping. Ive tried it, it will work, but dont get too much glue or youll have bigger bonds than is necessary. I actually reheat the bonds with the heatwand to remove the extra glue and reroll them before installing them, so I have a tighter tip without the extra glue. But the keratin isnt going to fuse into your hair like when you are doing fusion bonding. There isnt enough direct heat on the fusion bond to do that, it may soften it enough to adhere to your hair a bit but not to actually bond strong.

Good luck with your treatment, hope all goes well for you!
LuckieDuckies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckieDuckies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 4:51pm
wow so theres a pretty price difference between the plastikhaar and the dome then? have you noticed a difference between them yet? i know you just got yours installed didnt ya?
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 5:12pm
Sorry to hijack this thread, girls, but....
Sherrie! You think that's my problem? Not hot enough on the shrinkie? That may be it cuz when I slide them out, the shrinkie is still white and still somewhat rounded even tho I thought I rolled it while hot. Problem is I can't see well in the back and just do it by feel mostly (big mistake). And for sure they haven't shrunk down to the size of a microring, no way. Hmmm. Faulty installation, eh?
Oh yeah, and I use Doc's heat wand thing for shrinkies.
Thanks for the keratin info too. Okay. Onward with more experiments.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 5:28pm
Just got my Dome/PH installed! And will post pics just as soon as I can figure it all out. It's quite wavy now, but I'm sure it's bound to get straighter. Four different colors of blonde, and Isaac combined them so thoroughly they almost look like one color--LOL. Did someone ask what I use? I get pinchbraids done at cyberparlor, though I've been experimenting with other things.

I also think I wasn't cooking the shrinkies for long enough.

Yes, there's a big price difference between Dome and PH when all is said and done. (Dome really gets you on the shipping, too). :)

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 5:29pm
HURRY UP JENNY!!!!!
WE NEED PICTURES!!!!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 5:31pm
I know, I know. Just gotta get my boyfriend to take some....and he's lost in the TV... :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic